IGNORED

No coronavirus outside

crazyt

1 hour ago, AustinBike said:

For those of you with Netflix, “Tiger King” is binge worthy. And season 3 of Ozark is out.

man, i was all in with beginning of that series struggled after about 3/4 way through 1st season. 

speaking of bateman, the outsider was okay for a king adaptation 

Chernobyl is even more relevant now than ever. worth a second or third watch.

Our neighborhood seems to have a parade going on right now. Sitting on the deck with a glass of wine, watching the show. 
If anyone has big boxes, they should offer them up to the neighbors to use some of those cool tools to make projects. Heading down to the storage room in a bit to see if I have anything left to offer up. 

21 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

Chernobyl is even more relevant now than ever. worth a second or third watch.

Yeah, that was a great one. Watch it again and listen to the Chernobyl podcast too. Fascinating. Took all our attention on a road trip back from New Orleans last fall. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

Yeah, that was a great one. Watch it again and listen to the Chernobyl podcast too. Fascinating. Took all our attention on a road trip back from New Orleans last fall. 

Watched 3 times so far. Was always fascinated with soviet and eastern block history/culture.

Podcast with Sagal was awesome! Was completely out of left field to hear the wait wait guy discussing such a serious topic.

This podcaster has some great chernobyl discussion too

http://theeasternborder.lv/

4 hours ago, AustinBike said:

My father is an engineer. A supposedly smart guy, he's not alone, there are many like him. 

We have an odd dichotomy in this country right now. Young people think they can't get it (or it is like the flu). Older people don't believe it. Somehow those of us in the 40-60 range seem to have gotten the message. I don't understand how to get that message to the other groups.

I made no reference to your father, I specifically called out my father as the culprit here. And many others in his community. For every story of spring break parties during all this there are just as many stories on the other end of the age spectrum. We still have a lot of people who don't understand the severity, even if all of us have been doing the right things.

Here is an example of what I am talking about: https://www.newsweek.com/virginia-pastor-dies-coronavirus-after-previously-saying-media-pumping-out-fear-about-pandemic-1494702

I dont think many (most?) young people think they cant get it. What they do think is that if they do get it, chances are very good that it wont be serious.  They are right.

The 40-60 age range is the next highest in austin to be infected. The older people are the least. They are smaller numbers, but not that small.

image.png.a78efacfce7fdd8af5bd2db197c17a1f.png

• Like 1

The 70 -79 bracket has fewer numbers in Austin because we're scared shitless and staying home.  I've been out Thursday a week ago and the Thursday before that to grocery shop and that's it, other than outdoor exercise solo or with Mr. J B. 

Immediate family member (immunocompromised) 73-year-old, is in a hospital outside Atlanta, in an isolation room with a cough, fever, a spot on one lung waiting for the test result.   This family member went out one time in 12 days to get a monthly infusion at a doc's recommendation.  Hoping that it's "only" pneumonia. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AustinBike said:

For those of you with Netflix, “Tiger King” is binge worthy. And season 3 of Ozark is out.

Yeah Ozark season 3!  (I think I can say this without spoiling it, but you're warned):

The cell phone scene.  My hero!

10 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

that sounds impressive. pics?

No, no pics, obviously - DOD.  But I get your point. We're building trail every day. Why don't you come out and contribute to the effort? We could use the help! If you came out every day, like we do, (assuming you know how to run a chainsaw, etc.) oh, man! We could knock it out. Send me pics of what you're doing. LOL.

Attempted to ride my gravel bike on the hike and bike at Brushy yesterday, OMFG!!!! Every heel peddling, helmet less, I haven't been out of the house in 10 years m'fer was out on the trail. I mean packs of people everywhere. The YMCA parking lot was full to capacity. I had to turn my gravel ride into a road ride and I'm thinking that might be what I do from now on. So many people on the trail that the road was a safer option! Once again INSANITY!

1 hour ago, AustinBike said:

I have dropped town lake and only do streets now, the trails are getting too full. I feel a city action coming on soon....

I may have posted this upthread, but San Marcos closed all of their river-front parks last week.  

I like big paper maps, and the City of Austin has a large format map (folds up small) of all bike routes in Austin, color rated relative to the amount of traffic &  the type of bike infrastructure (if any).  These "might" be found at your LBS, but call ahead to see if they have some in stock.  Good for route planning purposes because it's easy to get an overview of the entire city.

Online option at  http://austintexas.gov/page/bicycle 

3 hours ago, Chief said:

Attempted to ride my gravel bike on the hike and bike at Brushy yesterday, OMFG!!!! Every heel peddling, helmet less, I haven't been out of the house in 10 years m'fer was out on the trail. I mean packs of people everywhere. The YMCA parking lot was full to capacity. I had to turn my gravel ride into a road ride and I'm thinking that might be what I do from now on. So many people on the trail that the road was a safer option! Once again INSANITY!

I've been riding more of the lesser used gravel/trails in the area.  Only did a brief stint on brushy last week to connect to something else.  I can PM you the route I did if you want.

• Like 2

ATTENTION!!!! The Pickle is open! I repeat, the Pickle is open!

Went for a ride up Shoal Creek today, shot over Gnarnia and was just going to roll around and see what was happening. The Pickle gates were wide open. I could get from my house up to the Domain easily with no issue whatsoever. Of course, the Domain was all shut down, but I digress. I have a nice 20 mile lap that goes through that area up to the NWCT and back. Now I know I can continue up Shoal Creek and not have to use the secret cut-through to the Mopac frontage.

Literally, this is the highlight of my week. This and finding out what a shrub rake is. Clearly it is going to be a long 30 days...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cafeend said:

You might want to consider altering times to ride to miss the crowds. Sunrises are a nice way to start the day

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

It was great seeing you out there yesterday morning. A little awkward with everything going on but good that we got to chat for a few minutes while keeping our distance. What a glorious morning to be out! Best ride I've had in close to a year. I did start experiencing a sore throat last night that has persisted into this morning, but no fever or cough. I'm hoping it is related to the green dust that is covering everything in sight! 

• Like 1

AB, Glad to hear the Pickle back gate is open!  They do close it during non-working hours during the week, though, so be mindful of the time.  Not sure what time they open it in the morning. 

Also, could you post the cut-through to the MoPac  sidewalk again? 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, throet said:

I did start experiencing a sore throat last night that has persisted into this morning, but no fever or cough. I'm hoping it is related to the green dust that is covering everything in sight! 

had same issue the last week or so. live on a greenbelt and the green dust is everywhere here. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, June Bug said:

AB, Glad to hear the Pickle back gate is open!  They do close it during non-working hours during the week, though, so be mindful of the time.  Not sure what time they open it in the morning. 

Also, could you post the cut-through to the MoPac  sidewalk again? 

Here is the cut through:

1314265112_ScreenShot2020-03-30at12_44_02PM.thumb.png.dfa3241e16a12403bba8de7be186c3c6.png

You cut into the parking lot just north the Honda dealer and go all the way to the back - you'll see an underpass that goes under the railroad tracks. From the other side just ride through the parking lot to the Mopac sidewalk, all the way up to Braker.

37 minutes ago, throet said:

It was great seeing you out there yesterday morning. A little awkward with everything going on but good that we got to chat for a few minutes while keeping our distance. What a glorious morning to be out! Best ride I've had in close to a year. I did start experiencing a sore throat last night that has persisted into this morning, but no fever or cough. I'm hoping it is related to the green dust that is covering everything in sight! 

Yea -- Good seeing you. I find it nice running into people I know on nearly every ride.    I would chalk the throat up to the green stuff covering the cars now

• Like 2

1 hour ago, June Bug said:

They keep posting new article above older articles. Make sure you read down to the one that discusses a rescue during the pandemic. It has implications for ALL of us. Even the people that were not directly involved but were in contact with people who were involved.

2 hours ago, throet said:

I did start experiencing a sore throat last night that has persisted into this morning, but no fever or cough. I'm hoping it is related to the green dust that is covering everything in sight! 

Same here.  I'm sure it's the oak pollen for most.  For me it's the changes in atmospheric pressure, but also the actual physical particles in the air.  I wake up with gunk in my eyes and congested.  A benadryl seems to knock it out better than a zyrtec.  Hopefully this rain knocks some of it out.

• Like 3

You cut into the parking lot just north the Honda dealer and go all the way to the back - you'll see an underpass that goes under the railroad tracks. From the other side just ride through the parking lot to the Mopac sidewalk, all the way up to Braker.

Thanks!  I need to go find it once, and that will mark the location in my mind. The big concrete drainage ditch is a good landmark.  Then  I can access it if needed in the future.  Nice project for tomorrow when the rain clears out. 

Edited by June Bug