IGNORED

No coronavirus outside

crazyt

4 hours ago, throet said:

I did start experiencing a sore throat last night that has persisted into this morning, but no fever or cough. I'm hoping it is related to the green dust that is covering everything in sight! 

I got a little of that this weekend too. Eerie how a little seasonal allergies suddenly turn into an existential crisis these days.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Cafeend said:

You might want to consider altering times to ride to miss the crowds. Sunrises are a nice way to start the day

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

SunRideziz? Wow thats early.

On another note I had a sinus infection 3 weeks ago. One day fever then coughing green crap. Did Z-pack 6 day thing and beat the green crap back. Problem was I remained stuffed up for two more weeks with mild fever, sore throat a few days, was only hearing the bass. Finally got on generic Claritin and it all cleared. I'm not supposed to have allergies this time of year. WTF? Anyways I wondered for 3 weeks if I had the 'rona. **This post paid for by Generic Claritin.**

Edited by Bamwa
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, throet said:

It was great seeing you out there yesterday morning. A little awkward with everything going on but good that we got to chat for a few minutes while keeping our distance. What a glorious morning to be out! Best ride I've had in close to a year. I did start experiencing a sore throat last night that has persisted into this morning, but no fever or cough. I'm hoping it is related to the green dust that is covering everything in sight! 

Same here it's allergies. I get it right around this time every year. More of a sinus irritation.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, fontarin said:

I've been riding more of the lesser used gravel/trails in the area.  Only did a brief stint on brushy last week to connect to something else.  I can PM you the route I did if you want.

That would be awesome thanks!

On 3/25/2020 at 6:29 AM, The Tip said:

I woke up thinking about masks. It's been mentioned, and refuted, and mentioned again. But tell me why it wouldn't work if:

It was mandatory for everyone everywhere to wear a n95 mask any time they are out of their house. 

It seems this would be a double layer of protection. The infected would be coughing inside their masks so nothing floating in the air. The healthy would be protected even if some got into the air somehow. Of course the hand washing protocol continues. 

The reason we are closing businesses and isolating ourselves is to protect us from those that don't know, or don't care, that they are infected. And it wouldn't be perfect of course but it would lower the chances of transmission by a lot. Enough to flatten the curve I would hope.

Restaurant dining rooms would have to remain shut unfortunately, and any other business that required an open mouth in public.

Of course the supply of masks would have to be ramped up.  

I wouldn't even have a problem constitutionally with such a mandate. We are already told to wear a seat belt for safety. 

I went to HEB yesterday. There were very few masks on people. I didn't wear one either. But I was a little nervous about it. But I would have felt a lot more comfortable and safe if everyone was wearing one. 

This seems a much better plan to slow the curve than killing the economy for years to come. It would be LOTS cheaper to send a dozen masks to everyone in the country than all this bail out cost. Yes, if there were enough masks. But this country was building 100 bombers a day (or some amazing number) by the end of WWII so I think we could get there pretty quickly with mask manufacturing.

CDC is finally coming around to MY (lol) way of thinking!

It's so rational.

https://news.yahoo.com/cdc-considering-encouraging-people-cover-101158880.html

Lots of DYI mask ideas out there. Tests show varying degrees of effectiveness but anything will help

I'm ready to go when it comes to masks. Not taking any chances

53p71-dual-cartridge-respirator-organic-vapor-p95-large.jpg.ded8f6b20da7e847c54601118567b73a.jpg

If it weren't for the asbestos and formaldehyde in these, I'd love to buy one and head to the store just for the lolz.

10-48-600x643.jpg

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ATXZJ said:

I'm ready to go when it comes to masks. Not taking any chances

53p71-dual-cartridge-respirator-organic-vapor-p95-large.jpg.ded8f6b20da7e847c54601118567b73a.jpg

If it weren't for the asbestos and formaldehyde in these, I'd love to buy one and head to the store just for the lolz.

10-48-600x643.jpg

And on the other end of the spectrum there's this. No wonder I can't find any damn coffee filters! 

image.png.043ef45e5ec3fdc62250eecac6528692.png

• Like 3

20 hours ago, The Tip said:

CDC is finally coming around to MY (lol) way of thinking!

It's so rational.

https://news.yahoo.com/cdc-considering-encouraging-people-cover-101158880.html

Lots of DYI mask ideas out there. Tests show varying degrees of effectiveness but anything will help

We made some DIY masks out of old t-shirts. A friend jumped all over use telling this was a dumb idea, we had to get him off the ledge a bit and explain the use case:

• Walking around the neighborhood (6 foot buffer) - Nothing
  • Answering the door for the delivery guy or picking up food curbside - t-shirt mask
  • Having to be in a grocery store to shop (assuming 20 minutes) - surgical procedure mask, not N95
  • Being in a medical facility for a period of time - N95 mask

The bottom line is I have about a dozen of the procedure masks left over from cedar season last year, that was a really lucky break when I bought a box of 50. So I am covered for another couple months of once per week grocery visits if I need it. We have no N95's so that is why we don't want to go to medical services and why I won't ride my bike on trails.

The DIY solution is not anywhere near being a reasonable choice, but it will work in a pinch for short exposure. Mark my words, the "all clear" signal to go back to work will not happen until there are hundreds of millions of masks available. Not N95, but SOMETHING. And everyone will be in masks in the office. I used to go to Asia on a regular basis and in flu season typically 1/3 of the staff had masks. This will become the norm here.

The CDC guy on the news just now finally came out and said the reasons behind the "don't wear masks" mantra from before. First, they didn't want to deny medical workers supply, and second, they don't want to give people a false sense of security. So in reality the solution is to wear masks AND social distance and wash hands etc.

What the wearing the masks help most with is to contain the people that are contagious but asymptomatic. This condition can last over 48 hours before symptoms start to show.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Tip said:

The CDC guy on the news just now finally came out and said the reasons behind the "don't wear masks" mantra from before. First, they didn't want to deny medical workers supply, and second, they don't want to give people a false sense of security. So in reality the solution is to wear masks AND social distance and wash hands etc.

What the wearing the masks help most with is to contain the people that are contagious but asymptomatic. This condition can last over 48 hours before symptoms start to show.

Masks also keeps us from touching our noses and mouths. Toss on some goggles and earbuds and all are head holes are G2G😆

I've not been inside a store in over two weeks now. I picked up a prescription for my cat yesterday and the pharmacists has the door locked, met us at the door when we called him. If you're on the south side, Brodie Lane Pharmacy is great little establishment I can recommend for stuff like this.

I need to pick up a single item from an online order from Lowes when I get notification that it's ready. I think that's the only real contact I have needed to have in a long time. getting groceries delivered is new to me and it kind of sucks. selection is limited, it's more expensive, and 1/3 of the stuff I order doesn't make it into my cart. I tip the drivers heavily though. I'm not spending money on anything else right now, so why not?

I have been outdoors around people on trails and sidewalks quite a bit. SATN is a lot busier than normal. I have seen woefully under-biked people on obscure parts of trails. I am not racing anyone, so I don't mind stopping to chat and tell them about the trails, from a distance, of course.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, June Bug said:

This.  

Was just taking some recycling out and a lady (maybe 40-50) rode by with her helmet on backwards. At least she was wearing one I guess.I didn't know whether to laugh or tell her but she was quickly down the street.

• Confused 1

Ugh! I feel compelled to say something to parents blithely riding without a helmet as they ride with their kids. The kids have helmets, thank heavens. But I will tap my helmet (to infer look what I'm talking about) and say, "I can't wait to grow up and not wear a helmet to be like Daddy" 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Tip said:

The kids have helmets, thank heavens.

I do see that a bit, but not always unfortunately. Two weeks ago on Peddlers I came across a fellow with a 8 or 10 year old without a helmet. I scolded the guy for about as long as he was in earshot. I personally loathe being a nag about anything, but it's hard not to feel self righteous and get preachy with these no helmet on trails morons.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Barry said:

I personally loathe being a nag about anything, but it's hard not to feel self righteous and get preachy with these no helmet on trails morons.

Exactly and exactly.

I thought I knew it but looked it up to confirm. City of Austin LAW:

*Children ages 17 and under are required to wear a helmet when riding a bicycle or micromobility device.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Tip said:

they don't want to give people a false sense of security.

This is what I worry the most about (same with my wife who is an epidemiologist).  But your take is spot on.  Mask plus regular distancing.  

For me, I went to the store with no mask.  I'm just hyper vigilant to hearing coughs, sneezes, seeing runny noses, noticing when people touch their face (did y'all notice how much we touch our faces before?).   I also got some packages and open them with bare hands and no mask.  That just makes me extra vigilant about how I do this and what I touch.  I fear if I start wearing gloves and masks and get too comfortable I may screw up.  I have N95 (used, b/c I'm cheap and just re-use them for sanding and dusty projects) and a dual cartridge respirator but so far I've not felt the urge to use them.  BTW, that N95, you can see how much you touch it and your face if you're working on something that makes your hands dirty.  

I agree with the other takes.  If and when we get the all clear to go back to work, masks may be a consideration, but at that point, I'm still going to be really vigilant about what I touch and how often I wash my hands.  For anyone that's sick or is sneezing or coughing from allergies they should just WFH.   I don't think we can go back to normal where coughing for weeks during allergy season in the cubicle farms was acceptable.

edit:  I should say I wasn't a germophobe, but I've been really sick with the flu in the past, and with 2 kids and then having big races on the calendar, I was already super careful about avoiding getting sick and being extra annoyed and actually telling people to go home when they're sick even though I'm not their boss.

Edited by AntonioGG
  • Like 1