IGNORED

No coronavirus outside

crazyt

6 hours ago, GFisher said:

Was just taking some recycling out and a lady (maybe 40-50) rode by with her helmet on backwards. At least she was wearing one I guess.I didn't know whether to laugh or tell her but she was quickly down the street.

I've been watching the magnitude of kids riding bikes by the front of my house over the past couple of days. One day last week I saw what appeared to be a sister-brother combo racing on opposite sidewalks. The sister was on the sidewalk on my side and I was watching in amusement as she kept glancing over to the sidewalk on the opposite side of the street to gauge where her brother was. As they zipped past pedaling furiously in competition with one another, I turned away with a smile thinking back to all the crazy stuff I did as a kid. Within a second or two though I heard this god awful "clank" and turned around to see she had run straight into the aluminum light pole a couple houses past mine. Luckily she was wearing a helmet, although I'm pretty sure she still got her bell rung pretty good.   

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, throet said:

I've been watching the magnitude of kids riding bikes by the front of my house over the past couple of days. One day last week I saw what appeared to be a sister-brother combo racing on opposite sidewalks. The sister was on the sidewalk on my side and I was watching in amusement as she kept glancing over to the sidewalk on the opposite side of the street to gauge where her brother was. As they zipped past pedaling furiously in competition with one another, I turned away with a smile thinking back to all the crazy stuff I did as a kid. Within a second or two though I heard this god awful "clank" and turned around to see she had run straight into the aluminum light pole a couple houses past mine. Luckily she was wearing a helmet, although I'm pretty sure she still got her bell rung pretty good.   

So she was seeing lights?

• Haha 3

On 3/30/2020 at 11:12 AM, AustinBike said:

ATTENTION!!!! The Pickle is open! I repeat, the Pickle is open!

Went for a ride up Shoal Creek today, shot over Gnarnia and was just going to roll around and see what was happening. The Pickle gates were wide open. I could get from my house up to the Domain easily with no issue whatsoever. Of course, the Domain was all shut down, but I digress. I have a nice 20 mile lap that goes through that area up to the NWCT and back. Now I know I can continue up Shoal Creek and not have to use the secret cut-through to the Mopac frontage.

Literally, this is the highlight of my week. This and finding out what a shrub rake is. Clearly it is going to be a long 30 days...

Rode that way yesterday and Pickle back gate was fenced off.  Looks like it be hit or miss depending on the day (Wednesday @ 2PM).

Edited by fontarin

I met a guy on Bowie Gnarl (short, flat, rocky section on Slaughter Creek bank near the high school) who was riding a 1984 GT Pro Performer. he had to use jam his shoe into the rear tire shoe to stop to chat about it because he had removed the brake pads. he left the brakes on, just removed the pads because he had just spray painted the mag wheels and didn't want to scrape the paint off. cool.

lots of fun vintage bikes being dusted off and ridden in the midst of all this.

Saw two guys at the nut riding. One with full face and one with nothing. If only there was a way to combine them and divide by two....oh and almost got gotten by Endo Valley. Thankfully I rarely clip in and was able to hop it out AND preserve my nuts in the process. Honk honk squeek squeek! (Yes my old Walmart squeeky horn is still a permanent functioning member of my handlebars). Nod to TMBRA. I hope they stay together ok thru this. It would be Pace Bend Race right around now. :(

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, RidingAgain said:

Parks to be closed over Easter...

it says, "All parks in Travis County will be closed throughout the Easter weekend..." Emphasis added. It's unclear whether this is only parks managed by Travis County Parks (for us, basically just PaceBend and Reimers), or also those managed by Austin Parks Foundation (everything else). There is an announcement on the TCP website, but not on the APF website. Either way, I would assume APF would follow suit eventually. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Barry said:

it says, "All parks in Travis County will be closed throughout the Easter weekend..." Emphasis added. It's unclear whether this is only parks managed by Travis County Parks (for us, basically just PaceBend and Reimers), or also those managed by Austin Parks Foundation (everything else). There is an announcement on the TCP website, but not on the APF website. Either way, I would assume APF would follow suit eventually. 

Based on the crowd I saw yesterday at St. Edwards Park and at Bull Creek, and the 4 fire trucks and 2 EMS and other emergency vehicles on 360 over Bull Creek (the bridge closest to Old Spicewood Springs) I think it's inevitable they're going to have to do something about the crowds at parks.  I saw clusters of kids in the water at Lakewood.  This is downstream from a bunch of other spots where people are "swimming".  I don't get the attraction to hanging out in green water loaded with dog shit, and probably a good amount of human urine and other such stuff (yeah I know dilution...but still, I think it's gross.)

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Barry said:

It's unclear whether this is only parks managed by Travis County Parks (for us, basically just PaceBend and Reimers), or also those managed by Austin Parks Foundation (everything else).

I don't know if this is lousy journalism, or lousy PR from parks officials. Travis County Parks and park in Travis County are not the same thing! disappointing.

2 hours ago, Barry said:

Austin Parks Foundation does not own or manage ANY parks. They support City of Austin Parks (City of Austin Parks and Recreation Department).

Here are some links -

Travis County - https://parks.traviscountytx.gov/parks (should show a map and park names)

City of Austin PARD - http://www.austintexas.gov/page/park-directory (click on the map to see a map of all City Parks. Note that it opens to a small section of Zilker Park and you have zoom and scroll from there.)

Austin Parks Foundation - https://austinparks.org/ (Looks like they create and manage parks but they only support parks.)

Quoted from Travis County Parks web site - "March 31, 2020 - Easter celebrations are historically a time for families to come together in outdoor parks facilities. However, due to concerns regarding the spread of the COVID-19 virus, ALL Travis County parks are closed from Thursday, April 9, at 8:00 p.m., through the Easter weekend. Some parks may reopen again for limited activities such as, walking, hiking and biking activities on Monday, April 13, 2020 at 8:00 am."  Note the wording " ... Travis County Parks ... ".

City of Austin Parks web site on closures says nothing about closing over Easter weekend. That may change but for now it looks like the parks that are open now will be open Easter weekend. http://austintexas.gov/page/pard-facilities-closures

• Like 1

I was riding a lap at my fave trail in NW Austin this am and came up on a dad with his 3 kids, I ring my bell way before approaching and he literally yanks the kids way off the trail and kinda has a deer in the headlights look at me as I said Good Morning as I passed, and his reply was, you shouldn't be on these trails on a mtb….I could tell they prolly just moved here from somewhere fancy so I just said, yall be careful and watch for snakes, I saw a Rattler yesterday crossing the trail.   

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Bart said:

and his reply was, you shouldn't be on these trails on a mtb….I could tell they prolly just moved here from somewhere fancy so I just said, yall be careful and watch for snakes, I saw a Rattler yesterday crossing the trail.   

I have never had a bad encounter with a hiker yet. But if I DO, I have my response ready. If I hear something like you did I will respond, "Actually mountain bikers built this trail. But we don't mind sharing the trails we built with hikers like you. Let's just get along."

"

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

Bored+ nothing else to do. I was going to build one of those goofy "manual machine" contraptions, then realized the unused trainer in my house will do the same thing. I think I can hold 30 seconds now.

IMG_20200402_173751_082.jpg

Great idea!  Have you tried uncoupling the chain?   I was going to make one that didn't need the wheel but I've not gotten around to it then.

2 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

Great idea!  Have you tried uncoupling the chain?   I was going to make one that didn't need the wheel but I've not gotten around to it then.

Good idea. The tire bottoms out on the bottom of the trainer, so I can only pedal backwards to set up the pedals anyhow.

36 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

Bored+ nothing else to do. I was going to build one of those goofy "manual machine" contraptions, then realized the unused trainer in my house will do the same thing. I think I can hold 30 seconds now.

I see "photoshop challenge" written all over this picture.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mack_turtle said:

Is the 30 seconds translating onto the trail yet? I too was curious about these contraptions. 

21 minutes ago, throet said:

Is the 30 seconds translating onto the trail yet? I too was curious about these contraptions. 

Don't know. Just tried it starting this afternoon. It probably won't do much because it does not take into account the way the bike wants to fall sideways.

Heads up for anyone in South Austin or Hays county. Proof Liquor & Deli is now doing curbside. You have to call and run your card over the phone but, after that you pull up and they'll put the stuff in your car/truck. They are doing food orders to go and through doordash, and seem to be pretty strict on contact and distancing so they are already ahead of Spec's. Speaking of which, Austin stores are no longer doing curbside.  

Keep it local

http://www.proofliquoranddeli.com/

https://www.instagram.com/proofliquoranddeli/

https://www.facebook.com/proofliquordeli

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1