IGNORED

No coronavirus outside

crazyt

I thought this afternoon might be a good time to return a library book (Trump and His Generals), because it's a nice ride on the Northern Walnut Creek Multi-Use Path to the library on Amherst and it had stopped raining.  The libraries are all closed but book drop, right? Lots of folks on the path but not crowded.  I took a raincoat.  

The library is closed closed.  The book drops are taped shut with signs about NOT trying to open them or push the doors open and for heaven's sake don't  leave your damn books by the door or under the book drop.  So...closed.  Really closed.  Shut.  Austin Public Library is also forgiving fines and extending checked out books for a month.  

I was almost to the Metric bridge coming home and it started barely sprinkling, and continued to sprinkle, but really cooling off and looking ominous. Put on the raincoat, same all the way home.  Got the garage door closed, went in the house and now it's pouring, dark outside and thunder rumbling in the distance.  Cozy.

Partly read:    Wayfinding: The Science and Mystery of How Humans Navigate the World

On deck:     

• Dark Towers: Deutsche Bank, Donald Trump, and an Epic Tale of Destruction
  • Endure: Mind, Body, and the Curiously Elastic Limits of Human Performance
  • The Emerald Mile: The Epic Story of the Fastest Ride in History Through the Heart of the Grand Canyon   Kevin Fedarko is an amazing writer so I don't quite understand why it's taken 3.5 years to work my way through his book, but this is a good time to wrap it up. 
Edited by June Bug
  • Like 1

We picked up an early dinner but did not walk the dog, the deluge right now tells me I called that one wrong.

My biggest gripe at this point is that the city has closed all parks, including basketball courts and tennis courts. Ours are full. Idiot personal trainers out there every morning. Why can't you do this in your place? Or your clients place? Because you are afraid of the virus. So you bring them to me????

I'm, not a "call the cops" guy but this is getting annoying.

In the "this is why we can't have nice things" category
From my NextDoor neighborhood listserve: City of Austin Closes Barking Springs on April 3

“The Austin Parks and Recreation Department (PARD) is closing the spillway below Barton Springs Pool, Barking Springs, effective immediately. Visitors will no longer be able to use this area for recreating, swimming, or as an off-leash area for dogs. 

Park visitor use at the spillway did not comply with the Stay Home-Work Safe Order, which requires physical distancing and prohibits group gatherings of any size to prevent the spread of COVID-19. The top priority of the City of Austin and PARD is the safety of the community and park visitors. The Department installed fencing at access points and regular patrols will be conducted to ensure the community does not continue to use the area.”

Edited by June Bug
  • Sad 1

In the "this is why we can't have nice things" category
From my NextDoor neighborhood listserve: City of Austin Closes Barking Springs on April 3
“The Austin Parks and Recreation Department (PARD) is closing the spillway below Barton Springs Pool, Barking Springs, effective immediately. Visitors will no longer be able to use this area for recreating, swimming, or as an off-leash area for dogs. 
Park visitor use at the spillway did not comply with the Stay Home-Work Safe Order, which requires physical distancing and prohibits group gatherings of any size to prevent the spread of COVID-19. The top priority of the City of Austin and PARD is the safety of the community and park visitors. The Department installed fencing at access points and regular patrols will be conducted to ensure the community does not continue to use the area.”

No surprise really. Place is something of a public health black zone for some many years now.

7 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

@June Bug Endure is an awesome read.  His first book was good also.

Mr. JB is reading it right now and I'm getting started on Dark Towers.  Looking forward to reading it later this week or next.  

A facebook friend posted that the Brentwood Social Club, a coffee shop/market on Koenig Lane at Arroyo Seco, had storefront pickup, and had eggs in stock, so it seemed like a nice bike errand. We still get a paper newspaper delivered every day in a plastic sleeve, so used  those over a pair of smartwool socks, which worked great to keep feet dry and warm. 

The ride over wasn't terrible,  streets were wet but it wasn't raining + traffic was light for the most part.  My little bag was waiting on a table by the front door,  packed everything on the bike and headed home.  Had to try to avoid bumps, because 2 dozen eggs.  Raining, north headwind but not bad. 

Contemplating a curbside pickup by bike at Wheatsville this coming week.  Have to balance items with space available (2 panniers, rack top bag), but should be able to do some restocking and get in a ride. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, June Bug said:

We still get a paper newspaper delivered every day in a plastic sleeve, so used  those over a pair of smartwool socks, which worked great to keep feet dry and warm. 

Every Austin park has these for you - dog poop bags. Just make sure to get new ones, the used ones only keep you warm if they have been immediately filled.

About once or twice a year, if my feet start getting really cold I head for a park.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2020 at 6:07 PM, The Tip said:

I have never had a bad encounter with a hiker yet. But if I DO, I have my response ready. If I hear something like you did I will respond, "Actually mountain bikers built this trail. But we don't mind sharing the trails we built with hikers like you. Let's just get along."

On 4/3/2020 at 4:18 PM, June Bug said:

I thought this afternoon might be a good time to return a library book (Trump and His Generals), because it's a nice ride on the Northern Walnut Creek Multi-Use Path to the library on Amherst and it had stopped raining.  The libraries are all closed but book drop, right? Lots of folks on the path but not crowded.  I took a raincoat.  

The library is closed closed.  The book drops are taped shut with signs about NOT trying to open them or push the doors open and for heaven's sake don't  leave you damn books by the door or under the book drop.  So...closed.  Really closed.  Shut.  Austin Public Library is also forgiving fines and extending checked out books for a month.  

I was almost to the Metric bridge coming home and it started barely sprinkling, and continued to sprinkle, but really cooling off and looking ominous. Put on the raincoat, same all the way home.  Got the garage door closed, went in the house and now it's pouring, dark outside and thunder rumbling in the distance.  Cozy.

Partly read:    Wayfinding: The Science and Mystery of How Humans Navigate the World

On deck:     

• Dark Towers: Deutsche Bank, Donald Trump, and an Epic Tale of Destruction
  • Endure: Mind, Body, and the Curiously Elastic Limits of Human Performance
  • The Emerald Mile: The Epic Story of the Fastest Ride in History Through the Heart of the Grand Canyon   Kevin Fedarko is an amazing writer so I don't quite understand why it's taken 3.5 years to work my way through his book, but this is a good time to wrap it up. 

I got caught half way thru Thumper when the sky opened up. First ride back there in about a yr and lemme tell you that was scary af trying to get out during a deluge. I had to ride all the way back to 51st area in the cold rain. 3.5hr ordeal. I got home and hopped in my hot shower with a beer with all my gear on and had a creepy laugh 

• Like 2

I went on a run this morning and the Costco parking lot in Southwest Austin is totally packed. There are people parking in the driveway entrance to the shopping center. I can see a huge crowd of people packed together with no distance no masks zerofucksgiven. This is how civilization ends.

15860991482916041557362081009598.jpg

• Sad 2

And yet I received a Costco order at my door yesterday.

The worst part here is that these people could get the things they need delivered to their homes. 

I just don't understand why, in a country where 300,000 people are infected, why we have this going on at all. By next Wednesday we will be over 500,000. By Easter Sunday you may hit the 1,000,000 mark. Some of the people in this line might be in that group next week, that is how this shit works.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Bart said:

I got caught half way thru Thumper when the sky opened up. First ride back there in about a yr and lemme tell you that was scary af trying to get out during a deluge. 

Now you have an idea how those of us caught in the rain during the Enchilada Buffet felt. We were about 60 miles in when the deluge started. Thumper was not fun when it got slick slick slick. And the mud that stuck to my cleats meant that if I put a foot down, I could not clip back in for a LONG time.

• Like 1

One side of me says fuck em. If they're that stupid, then let nature succeed where others have failed. Then I consider all the people these stupid bastards will drag down with them along the way if they do get infected. At some point martial law will be the only answer and the complete dissolve of our cival liberties will be because these people cant follow simple fucking orders. And who the fuck wants to go to the store right now??

rant/ off

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

No, keep ranting. If enough people are adamant about being smart than possibly everyone will act smarter.

There is a county in California that just enacted a mandatory wear a mask when you are out law. Enforceable by police. It's a start.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-04-04/riverside-county-orders-all-residents-to-cover-their-faces-in-public

9 hours ago, The Tip said:

That's disheartening. I thought the lines and busy stores were diminishing. When I went to HEB a couple of days ago it was all semi normal.

Pretty sure that's a normal Costco line...why I cancelled my membership a couple months ago honestly.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, cxagent said:

Now you have an idea how those of us caught in the rain during the Enchilada Buffet felt. We were about 60 miles in when the deluge started. Thumper was not fun when it got slick slick slick. And the mud that stuck to my cleats meant that if I put a foot down, I could not clip back in for a LONG time.

CP is dry

16 hours ago, The Tip said:

No, keep ranting. If enough people are adamant about being smart than possibly everyone will act smarter.

There is a county in California that just enacted a mandatory wear a mask when you are out law. Enforceable by police. It's a start.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-04-04/riverside-county-orders-all-residents-to-cover-their-faces-in-public

Yes but where will people get the masks from?

22 minutes ago, Chief said:

Yes, no kidding. 

But anything helps. Mayor Adler is now encouraging everyone to now wear a "face covering." That is probably better terminology to convey the thought that if you don't have a "real" mask make one out of a bandana or vacuum bag.

34 minutes ago, Chief said:

There's a national movement going on -- anyone with a sewing machine and some fabric is cranking out masks, with  patterns for specific purposes.  There are patterns for fitting over N 95 and other masks in use in hospitals and medical settings so the original mask (which should be disposed of after one use) can be used multiple times. My niece works for a children's hospital in the Atlanta area and that hospital put out a call for home sewers to create 3,000 masks. That was a little over a week ago. 

I think someone on here or facebook noted that you can goose up the efficacy of a home-made mask or a little dust mask with various household items like a vacuum cleaner paper filter.  And sanitary pads.  And baby wipes. 

How to make your own face mask to help stop the spread of the coronavirus

How to make a no-sew face mask 

Elastic is now in short supply, but if you cut open a bungee, it's stretch comes from a bazillion long pieces of  elastic. 

Edited by June Bug