IGNORED

No coronavirus outside

crazyt

We are doing the bandana/rubber band mask and it works fine. The real issue is the rubber bands on your ears could be annoying if you had to use it for more than 15 minutes. (We use ours for opening the door and dealing with grocery delivery.)

If you have daughters with long hair, now is the time to commandeer all of their ponytail holders. Those little rubber bands have a cloth outer layer that is easier on the ears.

1 hour ago, AustinBike said:

We are doing the bandana/rubber band mask and it works fine. The real issue is the rubber bands on your ears could be annoying if you had to use it for more than 15 minutes.

The key to this, that I haven't seen addressed in any video, is having the proper length elastic device. Hair ties did not work for me. When I looped them around my ear and pulled the mask on the hair ties popped off my ears. They were too small.

But I found some big rubber bands that work great. Before you start to make your mask, you must size your elastic device. Drape one around your ear and pull it to the edge of your mouth. If that is comfortable you have found the proper length.

My initial fold of my bandana is into thirds. This makes it big enough to adequately cover my nose and mouth. Then divide the long strip into thirds again with the rubber bands. Tuck one side into the other. Nine layers of cotton protection. Easy peasy.

bandanas are not hard. fold once diagonally (or two - three times depending on how many layers you want), wrap around your face with the right angle point of the triangle pointed down. tie the ends in a loose knot behind your head.

some of you have never robbed a bank before and it shows.

20200406_092115.thumb.jpg.e7c5eafc1203b3b30d5e1fecf9f4ecd5.jpg

20200406_092127.thumb.jpg.2cccc1b31c2b16156d1ec41337875811.jpg

20200406_092138.thumb.jpg.838d799d36cdcb37cddbcfc479f7156f.jpg

20200406_092148.thumb.jpg.c45150c1fafb9641331ec204ae89c3c4.jpg

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, AustinBike said:

We are doing the bandana/rubber band mask and it works fine. The real issue is the rubber bands on your ears could be annoying if you had to use it for more than 15 minutes. (We use ours for opening the door and dealing with grocery delivery.)

If you have daughters with long hair, now is the time to commandeer all of their ponytail holders. Those little rubber bands have a cloth outer layer that is easier on the ears.

IF you have access to a 3D printer or mild sewing skills there are other options...

Sew: 

3D Print: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4249113

image.png.d120a58789d469dd7e2251bcf0ab3b88.png

This is specifically why I have be doing only solo rides and being very careful about any other rider on the streets. 

My typical lunch time workout was the town lake hike and bike trail because I can hit it easily from the house. Haven't been on it in a couple of weeks now because it started to get busier.

42 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

Valid point:

I belong to a Cycling Over 60 facebook page; it's international.  People from all over the world post lovely pictures of whatever ride they have done.  Recently,  it's just a landscape or a single bike, because sane folks are riding solo in areas with almost no traffic and very few other cyclists.  

As recently as a few weeks ago (and possibly still), some people (men) were arguing vigorously that group riding was safe, because 1) you were outside and 2) of course  fit cyclists had immunity  because so very healthy and fit and pooh-poohing the need for solo riding. 

Edited by June Bug

11 minutes ago, June Bug said:

As recently as a few weeks ago (and possibly still), some people (men) were arguing vigorously that group riding was safe, because 1) you were outside and 2) of course  fit cyclists had immunity  because so very healthy and fit and pooh-poohing the need for solo riding. 

Mike Tyson once said "everyone has a plan until you get punched in the face."

So, there you go.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Yeah, when I'm 200 yards behind someone and I can smell their Axe body spray, I wonder if I'm also inhaling virus. 

The argument for this being more OK outdoors during the day (especially now wit hot temps) is that heat, humidity, and UV allegedly kills the virus. 

So hours in a paceline is probably stupid, but just passing someone (time trial rules!) on the trail or street is probably OK IMO.

I was hoping that article would tell me that you can spread it through farts.

I still see people encouraging "civil disobedience" through ignoring park closures and mask requirements. WTF is wrong with people? If you get sick because you're acting like s douchenoodle, you don't get to see a doctor. tough it out at home.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

I was hoping that article would tell me that you can spread it through farts.

I still see people encouraging "civil disobedience" through ignoring park closures and mask requirements. WTF is wrong with people? If you get sick because you're acting like s douchenoodle, you don't get to see a doctor. tough it out at home.

My brother is an anesthesiologist.  This article really hit home for me.  Share it with any skeptics or civil rebels please:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/04/05/youre-basically-right-next-nuclear-reactor/?arc404=true

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

My brother is an anesthesiologist.  This article really hit home for me.  Share it with any skeptics or civil rebels please:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/04/05/youre-basically-right-next-nuclear-reactor/?arc404=true

The Washington Post! pssh, that's liberal propaganda for the sheeple, comrade! wake up! Infowars and OANN will tell you the truth about how gay penguins are pushing the pro-reptile people agenda.

[sarcasm]

people who are too thick to understand this are not within my circle of concern anymore. it's all circular reasoning fueled by confirmation bias for them. there's not penetrating that level off bullshit anymore.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

Christ man, that's heavy. Best to you and your family. At this point i have zero tolerance for the people who aren't taking this seriously. Numerous times i've had to tell people to stop whining, and remind them how lucky they are to not be going home in a f*cking bag today.

sorry, another rant/ off

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

"but it's just like the flu...."

If I had a dollar for every friend I have disowned for stupid statements like that I could buy enough beer to drink all alone.

People just really don't get it, it is incredible to think, today, that people still try to downplay this, even with articles like this coming out.

I think that Washington Post article should be required reading for everyone. And I don't generally like WaPo. But I read all kinds of sources to try to figure out what the real info is behind all the opinions and blame storming.

I suspect many of the deniers think it is their own decision that does not impact anyone else. I hear that from the anti-vax'ers. If that was true I would say to let them do what they want - the only person they impact was themselves. But that is not true. Anyone can transfer the virus to someone else even if that person does not get the illness. If someone gets the illness the virus is multiplied in their body so they are much more capable of spreading the virus. But someone who picks up the virus on their hands, clothes, etc. can transfer it to somewhere else where a third person who has never been near an infected person may pick it up.

This shit real. It is contagious. Some people may get it and have zero symptoms. But some people who get sick will die. I don't know how to predict which is which. I don't think the medical community does either. At least until someone is really sick and can't get enough oxygen. At that point their chances have become not very good to just waiting to die. Another article (by a doctor) says that the longer a person requires a ventilator the less their chance to ever breathing on their own again. The combination of the two articles makes me think going on a ventilator due to Covid-19 means the chances to live are small.

Let's be safe people. As somebody else posted a previous generation was sent to war. We are only told to stay home. Surely we can handle that much.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My brother is on Dr. forums and they compare notes.  He sent me info from a Dr. in New Orleans.  It's harrowing.  It's not only health workers at risk but everyone else.  On my road ride today, I went by a bunch of PEC workers working on a line or transformer and some people distributing food at an elementary and at least one person wearing scrubs.  I gave them all a big thank you wave.

17 hours ago, AustinBike said:

"but it's just like the flu...."

If I had a dollar for every friend I have disowned for stupid statements like that I could buy enough beer to drink all alone.

People just really don't get it, it is incredible to think, today, that people still try to downplay this, even with articles like this coming out.

an article like that has nothing to do with whether it is like the flu.

Here is a similar article about a woman who died from influenza and needed a vent.

https://www.familiesfightingflu.org/family-story/the-northrop-family/

As the flu virus raged on and as her body strove to fight the infection, her lungs became stiff and brittle, making it much harder to force air into them. The ventilator settings changed and even the ventilator itself was changed, but it quickly became clear that despite available technology and knowledge, Liza’s lung disease was progressing beyond the ability of modern medicine to support.

Eventually, the delicate, injured parts of her lungs blew apart, something called a pneumothorax. The ICU team promptly diagnosed the problem and treated it by placing a tube in her chest to drain the air. But at this point, the damage was so extensive that there wasn’t enough functioning lung left to support gas exchange. With her body now starving for oxygen, there was nothing left to do.

The stats make it clear that it is not the flu. Anecdotal stories like this should be irrelevant from a public health point of view. However they do trigger emotions which are used by the media (and politicians) because most people cant internalize statistics.

Edited by crazyt
  • Like 2