IGNORED

No coronavirus outside

crazyt

2 hours ago, Sluggo said:

would’ve really sucked if it was a duck

Or a goose.  Dear lord, their poops are huge. I don't know if they offload on the wing, though. I got nailed waiting for the light to change at 183 and Georgian by one of the many small birds that hang out on the power lines. 

1 minute ago, Tree Magnet said:

some cultures consider getting shit on by a bird as a sign of good luck so there's that.  

Citation?  I want to know what kind of good luck I'm in for. 

Edited by June Bug
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

To illustrate what Mack_Turtle posted above, these simulations are what I showed my kids when they complained about not being able to go to their friends' houses:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/

Thanks . I showed one of my kids this tonight , the kid finally understood what we have been trying to tell them. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TheX said:

Sorry I was thinking about the OPV. OPV was the main polio vaccine for almost 40 years. It is still the main vaccine used around the world. It is no longer used in the US because it has a very small risk of actually giving polio. Now that polio is eliminated the vaccine has higher risk than the actual disease.

Since 2000, only IPV has been used in the United States to eliminate the risk of vaccine-derived poliovirus that can occur with OPV. This decision was also based on the decreased risk of wild poliovirus being brought into the country and because the U.S. is currently polio-free.

21 hours ago, bestbike85 said:

I don’t know why you’re trying to argue with me. The medical doctor that I was with and tested positive for the flu with told me word for word “a positive note in this is that you can’t have the flu and covid 19 at the same time.”  Should I call her a liar because crazyt on the internet said so? 

https://www.cleveland.com/coronavirus/2020/03/is-it-possible-to-catch-the-flu-and-coronavirus-at-the-same-time.html

The outbreak of coronavirus coincides with one of the most active infectious disease times in the country: flu season. But can you get both at the same time?

The short answer is, yes, it is possible, as Ohio Department of Health Director Dr. Amy Acton said in her Sunday briefing. Other health officials confirmed with cleveland.com that coinfection of the flu and COVID-19 coronavirus is possible. The likelihood of it happening, however, is still unknown.

Interesting article. As a global society we need to work together instead of trying to lay blame for this. If we can't work together globally this is going to stay around for a long time. Making public references and calling names is not the answer. We're going to need help from everyone to get this under control. Time will tell and we're going to see what the human race is really like. I truly hope that we band together instead of trying to pretend everyone else is an enemy.

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/latamcaribbean/2020/03/18/cuba-and-coronavirus-how-cuban-biotech-came-to-combat-covid-19/

• Like 2

15 hours ago, June Bug said:

Wanted to address a few things in your post -- nothing personal. 

Measles isn't bad unless it's bad. Please don't ever think it's an innocuous illness; it's one of the most contagious illnesses around. You don't see the potential for damage because who gets measles anymore? By 2000, it was almost eradicated in the US.  It's incredibly bad for infants, the immuno-compromised and those who acquire it in adulthood. It's suppresses the immune system for quite a long period of time after the illness has passed (immune amnesia).  It can rear it's ugly head much later in life as shingles.  Fortunately a recent,  96%  effective vaccine  (Shingrix 2-shot series) has been developed for shingles.  Any person over 60 should be getting it. 

The vaccine is MMR, Measles, Mumps, Rubella.  Rubella can cause devastating birth defects and miscarriages if acquired during early pregnancy.  

These are all viral illnesses. Unlike bacteria, there is, as far as I know, no virus that is beneficial to its host. 

Moving on to polio.  It, too, is caused by a virus.  Polio still exists in various parts of the world and polio vaccination is still recommended and required in some areas of the US before a child begins school.   The polio vaccine was introduced in 1955.  Every parent in the US was incredibly grateful for this; polio was an utterly terrifying disease when I was a young child and every one of us knew what an iron lung was.  Every school-aged child was vaccinated. I've known three people who survived polio as a child with subsequent disabling conditions.  Polio is another illness that can re-emerge later in life as post-polio syndrome, which can also be disabling. 

Anti vaxxers.  Gah.  

Rant off.  Going for a mellow  bike ride.  

My specialty was infectious disease (i did 5 years of an MD PHD before quitting to join a dot com) Im aware of all of the above.  The facts are the facts, but people can have legitimate opinions about public policy and medical recommendations.

1) about whether the individual benefits outweigh the risks. Measles is virtually eradicated in the US. The vaccine has serious complications 1/million times. The chance of serious complications from getting measles is hard to measure but right now is probably in the same order of a magnitude as the risk from the vaccine. While antivaxxers believe the risk from the vaccine is higher than it is, they arent wrong to believe there is risk from the vaccine that is comparable to the risk from the disease.

2) Influenza is much worse than measles and most people dont get the vaccine for it. On average only about 40% of adults get the flu vaccine, and flu kills around 40K/year. People worry too much about the measles vaccine, while not getting the flu vaccine.

3) No doubt that polio is nasty. The OPV is likely the vaccine you received and is live attenuated virus. It has a small probability of reactivating. They stopped giving it in 2000 in the US because the risk from the vaccine is higher than the risk from the disease. It is still given around the world because the risk of getting polio in the wild is so much higher.

4) shingles is from varicella zoster (chicken pox)

5) The govt has to keep messages simple and politics can drive vaccine recommendations.

Some vaccines like the hepatitis vaccine are recommended to be given at birth. It is a public health measure to try to get rid of hepatitis in at risk teen populations. They cant get those kids to come in when they start having sex and doing IV drugs so they want to vaccinate all kids at birth before they leave the hospital.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3092064/

HPV is similar

back to corona virus, one the challenges is that in two weeks the virus will just be getting started. How long are we going to "shelter in place"? It will take months of zero economy to cause it to peak and reduce new cases.

Then when the economy starts up again, it will start to spread again. 

The summer will help, but are we going to shut down in the fall again?

Maybe everyone should start drinking more gin and tonics, and start stocking up on tonic water if it isnt too late to get it in the stores.

According to three new medical studies, a commonly available anti-malaria drug called chloroquine, a.k.a. chloroquine phosphate, is showing strong results against COVID-19 infections in China, South Korea, Australia, and France.

14 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Started to worry about running low on coffee. I ordered Starbucks French roast on amazon, should be here Saturday. There are some things you can’t do without. 

14 hours ago I ordered coffee on Amazon, said it would be delivered on Saturday. An hour ago my wife said get some more because she was not sure how serious her parents are taking all of this. So I ordered additional coffee to be delivered on Sunday. The Saturday delivery just arrived.

Bottom line - for some things relying on Amazon might not be a bad strategy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chief said:

Interesting article. As a global society we need to work together instead of trying to lay blame for this. If we can't work together globally this is going to stay around for a long time. Making public references and calling names is not the answer. We're going to need help from everyone to get this under control. Time will tell and we're going to see what the human race is really like. I truly hope that we band together instead of trying to pretend everyone else is an enemy.

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/latamcaribbean/2020/03/18/cuba-and-coronavirus-how-cuban-biotech-came-to-combat-covid-19/

At this point I'm welcoming any hope. This is a test for us as a civilization. For now I will remain optimistic that some form of help is on the way, whether divine or inspired by mankind.   

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, throet said:

At this point I'm welcoming any hope. This is a test for us as a civilization. For now I will remain optimistic that some form of help is on the way, whether divine or inspired by mankind.   

Maybe it will come in the form of aliens, and we'll later learn that the aliens were really matthew mcconaughey contacting us from the future.

then again, maybe civilization is not the best thing to happen to our species, much less this planet, and we'll be better for it when it gets set back a bit.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, June Bug said:

Or a goose.  Dear lord, their poops are huge. I don't know if they offload on the wing, though. I got nailed waiting for the light to change at 183 and Georgian by one of the many small birds that hang out on the power lines. 

GEESE-Letterkenny.jpg

• Like 2

??? somewhat incoherent reply but...whatever. I realized my mistake . You believe whatever you want.

I can’t see any truth in your entire post due to the glaring mistake.

When you make a mistake this badly in an argument, it basically erases any valid points made throughout the argument.

Your entire post is a rambling of disconnected internet facts that you have accumulated. Although some of them ARE correct, you failed to get any points across.

My mistake was allowing iPhone to autocorrect my post in Tapatalk. Try=truth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, June Bug said:

I was told this by relatives in North Texas after a mocking bird blessed me while walking under a tree.  I'm not sure if North Texas counts as a culture but it was good enough for me.  I wouldn't put all my money on a lotto ticket but positive thinking is a powerful thing.

4 hours ago, crazyt said:

My specialty was infectious disease (i did 5 years of an MD PHD before quitting to join a dot com) Im aware of all of the above.  The facts are the facts, but people can have legitimate opinions about public policy and medical recommendations.

Thanks for these clarifications; I defer to you expertise and stand corrected on all counts! Also, for some reason I confuse measles with chicken pox as the source of shingles. 

I received the polio vaccine in the first year, 1955, probably in a sugar cube. 

Also, what's the status of small pox vaccinations?  Is it only for travel to some countries?  Many years ago I crossed from Mexico into Guatemala at a remote border station.  When I showed my passport with proof of small pox vaccination, the Guatemalan crossing guard said he didn't need proof of vaccination because small pox was "fin in el mundo."  

Shopping update from this morning, Friday, March 20.  Thanks to ATXZJ for the Sprouts tip.   Sprouts and Trader Joes all good.   Sprouts not crowded and  well stocked except no TP or avocados.  Got to Trader Joes about 5 minutes after opening.  Much less crowded than on a Friday at 4 pm, but nobody's spending time looking at stuff.  Didn't check on beef supply at Sprouts, but the beef section at the far end of the case at Trader Joes was bare.  My guess is these stores are not crowded because there are groceries at Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Sam's Club, COSTCO, Target, HEB and Randalls all close to each other. 

Up until three years ago, geese were these awesome birds in formation, flying high, heralding a change in the seasons.  You'd head this faint sound, look up and there they are.  Ya know, UPLIFTING.  Then we went to Pittsburgh to begin the Great Allegheny Passage ride.  Geese were hanging around everywhere, pooping on everything.  It took awhile to connect what I was seeing lying around with geese.  But, of course, awesome, amazing birds. Honk. 

Edited by June Bug
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, throet said:

As long as it's not through one of those annoying Lincoln ads! 

Watch the Lincoln McConaughey ice fishing ad carefully.  I realized that it was edited in a way that made it seem as though he was on location. Pretty sure he wasn't. 

8 minutes ago, RidingAgain said:

Try the prepackaged guacamole, it's quite good and last a bit longer than the whole avocado.

I am so terrible at picking out good avocados that I finally defaulted to store-bought guac.  It's not my go-to fave food though.  Sprouts was out of Brown Cow cream on top, chocolate on the bottom yogurt; that made me briefly sad. 

Edited by June Bug