IGNORED

Pedernales Falls State Park Trail Conditions

Ridenfool

So Pedernales is officially closed. They have actually put physical barriers blocking trailheads. Does anyone know if people are still riding / hiking out there? It's a class C misdemeanor I think, to be in a closed area of a state park. But maybe they won't enforce it? Any ideas for similar good trails around here? I rode the so-called "ATX" trails a couple of days ago, not nearly as fun.

On 3/29/2020 at 12:56 AM, Dan Meeks said:

So Pedernales is officially closed. They have actually put physical barriers blocking trailheads. Does anyone know if people are still riding / hiking out there? It's a class C misdemeanor I think, to be in a closed area of a state park. But maybe they won't enforce it? Any ideas for similar good trails around here? I rode the so-called "ATX" trails a couple of days ago, not nearly as fun.

Please don't ride the state parks, even though its easy to sneak in. We need to respect the closure. 

https://flatcreekcrossingranch.com/ is right next door and has great trails. though not as many miles at Perd. I would call to make sure they are currently open.

lakewood has some really fun trails. 

Reimers Ranch is decently fun. looks like its still open.

• 1 month later...

Cleared the fallen tress at Pedernales Falls on Juniper Ridge, Madrone, and Wolf Mountain. Those are the "usual" MTB trails. If you can get a reservation - it should be clear to ride.

We left some face slappers and horse scrapers. If you could ride around the face slappers - we left them. We plan to go back in the fall and trip those too.

The horse scrapers we left to keep the horses of the trails horses should not ride. Tall MTB riders (like me) just have to watch for low branches. Most of them are right after an intersection with a horse trail. But there are some in other places when the size of the branch / tree was just too big to take out.

Edited by cxagent
  • Like 2

• 9 months later...
On 3/11/2021 at 9:21 AM, GFisher said:

Anyone been out here since the ice storm? I don't have a sense of how quickly State Parks might clear trails and don't have much faith in asking the park staff (from some past experiences).

I was there shortly after the storm and trees and limbs were down in abundance on Madrone and Juniper Ridge.  The horse trails I rode were mostly out of the trees, so they were good.  It was a bit of pain negotiating the downage, but I got in about 18 miles of dirt.  That was on 2-25.  Not particularly helpful, I know, but that's all I got.

1 hour ago, Ay Chihuahua said:

I was there shortly after the storm and trees and limbs were down in abundance on Madrone and Juniper Ridge.  The horse trails I rode were mostly out of the trees, so they were good.  It was a bit of pain negotiating the downage, but I got in about 18 miles of dirt.  That was on 2-25.  Not particularly helpful, I know, but that's all I got.

Thanks, at least I know they (unfortunately) got hit pretty hard out there and will avoid the drive/expense until I know things are looking decent.