IGNORED

Trail Runners

B.J.

I'm not an mtber but a trail runner. I run on trails and often pass (or get passed by) mtbers. I'm just wondering, please be totally honest I'm a big boy, how do mtbers see trail runners? Annoying, nuisances, in the way, etc? I always keep my eyes and ears peeled, and move over quickly and let the biker(s) past. I try not to run on muddy trails (sometimes you hit a seemingly dry trail then there are muddy spots, you know) and avoid trails that are "bikes only" (Emma Long is the only Austin one I know of). Anyway, just wondering. Thx :)

• Thanks 2

They seem ok to me. I do think most trail runners I pass give me too much space and interrupt their workouts too long to let me by. All you have to do is move aside at the last millisecond, like turn your shoulders to the side so my bars fit. It should be easy. You don't have to jump off the trail.

• Like 2

Totally fine with sharing the trails! The only thing that does annoy me is runners that run on obvious MTB features: specifically, running uphill on jump lines. Dangerous and adds maintenance to my routine. Other than that, glad to see ya out there! The more users, the more trails!

• Like 1

I run the same trails that I ride some days. the ONLY issue I have with other trail users is when they have headphones on with their music too loud to hear me. on a few occasions, I have tailed a runner with less than two feet between my front tire and his heels for more than 30 seconds shouting "excuse me! can I pass?" runners like to mentally disappear into their heads while running, and I get that. but you can't do so to the extent that you lose track of your surroundings.

most of us view runners as just another trail user who is doing the same thing we are, but without the extra apparatus.

where do you like to run? I find that running twisty, technical trails where I like to ride is not very much fun on foot.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 3

I have no problem sharing the trails with runners and depending on the trail I am sometimes impressed that someone would want to run on those trails (I like really rocky loose trails and always wonder how runners don't turn their ankles). The only problem I have on occasion is someone wearing earbuds and not being able to hear my voice or bell when I come up behind them.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 3/15/2020 at 12:50 AM, B.J. said:

I'm not an mtber but a trail runner. I run on trails and often pass (or get passed by) mtbers. I'm just wondering, please be totally honest I'm a big boy, how do mtbers see trail runners? Annoying, nuisances, in the way, etc? I always keep my eyes and ears peeled, and move over quickly and let the biker(s) past. I try not to run on muddy trails (sometimes you hit a seemingly dry trail then there are muddy spots, you know) and avoid trails that are "bikes only" (Emma Long is the only Austin one I know of). Anyway, just wondering. Thx 🙂

Thanks for coming on this forum and asking.

• Like 1

I generally find that trail runners don't use earbuds and there is a pretty good rapport between our two groups. There are probably bonewipes in each group that taint them, but by and far we all seem to get along fine. 

From a practical standpoint it appears that trail runners do a much better job of getting out of the way when encountering a bike "in motion" where it is difficult for the bike to stop. I generally cede to the runner because I have the advantage of in being able to get out of the way without twisting an ankle from a poorly placed action.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

I generally find that trail runners don't use earbuds and there is a pretty good rapport between our two groups. There are probably bonewipes in each group that taint them, but by and far we all seem to get along fine. 

From a practical standpoint it appears that trail runners do a much better job of getting out of the way when encountering a bike "in motion" where it is difficult for the bike to stop. I generally cede to the runner because I have the advantage of in being able to get out of the way without twisting an ankle from a poorly placed action.

Totally agree. I walk my *leashed* dogs on appropriate trails also, and see both sides.

Earbuds are the single biggest issue that I see.

• Like 2

On 3/15/2020 at 12:50 AM, B.J. said:

I'm just wondering, please be totally honest I'm a big boy, how do mtbers see trail runners? Annoying, nuisances, in the way, etc?

Yeah man, not at all. Like others have said, so long as you're not oblivious to your surroundings, all is good. Indeed trail running is more compatible with MTB than hiking. Or as many "hikers" do in public parks, slowly stroll through the trail while looking at their phone. 

• Like 2

Have had ZERO issues with runners so far. I found in most cases they're equally or at times, more courteous than bikers. As others have said, i gotta give trail runners some props for taking on these rocky trails. 

Don't get me started on strava whores and equestrians though.........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for checking in. Most trail runners are great, as others have said. They seem aware and know how to negotiate passing. Most don’t blast earbuds to oblivion. Most run solo or 2. When there is a group, they run single file like we ride. All good.

It’s the earbud issue and/or walkers “hikers” who can seem completely surprised and disoriented by bikers and often walk side by side 3-4 wide at times. You can tell when there is an experienced hiker group because they stay single file and call out for bikers and allow easy passing.

• Like 1

Trail runners are great and I see a ton more of them now that the VCT comes farther down here. Families stopped in the middle of a fast trail on a blind corner, off leash dogs, and the oblivious headphone users are the main concerns.

I'll say this though: If I pull over to let you pass, just pass me. Sometimes it's better for me to let you by. Like when people "pull over" to stand on my preferred line. I usually stop and make a joke about needing a break anyway so they keep going but really I'm looking at that sick B line they are standing on.

• Like 3

I trail run as much as I ride, and I'm very conscious of any riders coming up behind me.  I tend to look back a lot because I'm a little self conscious.  I like to run with my AirPods in too, but usually only wear one in my right ear so I can hear when someone needs to pass on my left.  When I'm on my bike, I realize that it doesn't bother me at all to roll up on a trail runner.

• Like 1

Like other's have said, most runners are courteous and aware. But headphones are problematic. I run too and I wear my headphones 99% of the time but only on wider main trails/ sidewalks where it's easy to pass while I run along the RH edge of the trail. Single track is just to problematic to be unaware. 

• Like 1

I should have mentioned I'm a trail runner too.  Not that much..maxing out at 10-12 miles per week but that uneven terrain makes it so much less boring than running on flat ground, and it gives my ankle with the 10 screws and a plate a good range of motion workout.  In addition, trail running is a good complement to cycling since you have to use different muscles and need some side to side motion on the rockier trails. I wear ear buds but I don't run in popular cycling trails, but I still stay to the right.  I'm looking into those conduction headphones as an alternative. 

On my previous post I also should have mentioned that I can think of only one runner that was a problem with the loud earbuds.  Most of the time it's walkers/hikers with the loud earbuds that are the problem.

2 hours ago, taco_junkie said:

I'll say this though: If I pull over to let you pass, just pass me. Sometimes it's better for me to let you by. Like when people "pull over" to stand on my preferred line. I usually stop and make a joke about needing a break anyway so they keep going but really I'm looking at that sick B line they are standing on.

+1

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, taco_junkie said:

I wanted to add to say that we should not assume that the runner or rider that doesn't hear us is an asshole either. They could have full or partial hearing loss so keep that in mind.

This is true. But regardless of physical limitations, everyone has a responsibility to be cognizant of their surroundings.  

Hell, I think it was on the DeathMarch, we came across a blind hiking group deep in the GB. They had a guide and it was a super easy trail interaction. At least they weren't looking at their phones. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

I would hope that people who live with a hearing disability know better than to blithely walk around the woods oblivious to their surroundings. They keep their head up because they know better.

Careless, self-centered people, on the other hand, don't pay attention.

Much truth!

• Like 1

Okay original poster, I'll say it because none of these other wussies will say it...STAY OFF OUR TRAILS!!

I kid I kid! I agree with all the above posts. But you posting got me curious again.

I had a quick discussion with a runner the other day but didn't really get the answers I wanted. The trail sanitation discussions here that mentioned that someone thought it was trail runners doing some of it made we shake my head. I didn't understand that. I thought the idea of being a trail runner WAS  to find the uneven stuff. 

What are the motives for trail running besides communing with our wonderful nature and getting a run in? What makes a trail "good."

Are there competitive trail runs? What are those courses like? 

Several riders here mentioned they trail run too. Chime in with your opinion. I'm "professionally" curious about this wondering if there is a way to make trails "good" for both user groups.

• Like 1