IGNORED

Heads up for Colorado Bend. Reservations required.

Bamwa

Heads up y'all. The word must have gotten out on this park.  Buddy Craig got turned away after driving all the way to Colorado Bend to ride on Sat. Not Covid related. There is now a booth at the top and apparently the park had reached both camping and day use capacity. The new norm I'm guessing is to call ahead and/or reserve your spot before heading out. Rangers told him they had to turn away folks from Colorado and Kansas also. And no there weren't gonna let him park outside the gates and roll in, even though the trails may have been empty. Just wanted to let the community know.

Later,

Buffalo Slaghammer

Edited by Bamwa
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Bamwa said:

Perd too? Yeah I knew campsites filled up, but day use is a new one to me.

Yeah, even for day use. No matter. Flat Creek Xing Ranch appears to be fully open again. Just pay them and park there and ride a bit of both. Ride over to Pedernales and ignore the permit required sign. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Barry said:

Yeah, even for day use. No matter. Flat Creek Xing Ranch appears to be fully open again. Just pay them and park there and ride a bit of both. Ride over to Pedernales and ignore the permit required sign. 

Um, poach Perd? No way bro. I can afford $5. WTF? That's how shit gets closed.

From the TPWD Pedernales Falls webpage. 

Effective March 19, 2020, Pedernales Falls State Park will be closed until further notice. All campers must vacate campsites by 12 p.m. on March 19, 2020.

All camping reservations made for March 19 through April 30, 2020, will be notified about rescheduling and refunds. 

Edited by June Bug

On 3/16/2020 at 7:57 PM, Trailrider said:

Seems odd to close it for day use mountain bikers. All the trails are so wide that there can't be any traffic issues.

Hmmm. Are you riding the jeep roads? (like Wolf Mountain) The trails I ride at Perd are narrow. Mostly ride Juniper Ridge and Madrone. My wife complains that the trails are too narrow for her tastes.

When we were building Juniper and Madrone we intentionally left them tight single track with low branches (aka - horse scapers). Some people came back later and cut a parallel trail so the park staff could get their Gator down it for rescues. I have not been there for months so I'm wondering if people have bailed off the single track to the rescue trail.