IGNORED

South Austin Trail Network, The SATN

The Tip

12 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

What's going on at the far south end of Meridian? I see construction going on. Are they going to cover every square foot of that area in McMansions?

If you're talking about the construction/road building area that's just east of the end of Gorman Springs Rd, that's the final sections of Avana being built out.  There are also rumors they'll connect Avana to Gorman Springs Rd to allow access to 1826 from the neighborhood (Cal Atlantic/Village Builders own that connecting stretch) but I haven't been able to get confirmation of that (haven't really tried hard to be honest).

And just for spouting irrelevant facts, the R-C Ranch that's just south of Meridian and W/SW of Avana is owned by the Buc-ee's founder.  Sadly, no rumors of a store being put in on the property.

Edited by gdog-1992

5 hours ago, zrx24 said:

There are both motorbike and mountain bike tracks there.  What is most annoying with the photo is the motorbike tracks through the mud.  I can understand not wanting to ride that long rock garden on my mountain, but there is no excuse not to make use of it in muddy conditions on a motorbike.  That photo makes me want to bitch slap somebody.

Get in line. There is already a large number of folks wanting to bitch slap somebody. Maybe a large number of somebodies. Seen that picture of the "repaired tree"? How about the more recent "tree work" at Pace Bend?

As far as not wanting to ride that "rock garden" on a mtb, these folks have just ridden much much more difficult stuff. Now they can't handle that rock "rock garden"??? They need to turn in their mountain bike because they belong on a road bike - on the road.

Edited by cxagent

Anybody recognize this spot????

The bitch slapping will continue...

If you can't ride it - Walk it. DO NOT MODIFY THE TRAIL!!!!

ETA - This is on the BCGB between Spyglass and the first creek crossing. This is about the only technical feature thru that section. Now it is not. I may take some rebar and epoxy and put most of it back.

First Ledge.jpg

Edited by cxagent
Added pictures
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

^^^  I can't place where that is...but yea, DON'T DO IT!

As folks may have noticed, I removed the pics that were of Meridian Bowl.  If you want me to send them to you, PM me with your email and I'll shoot them over to you.  I don't personally see a problem with posting them here, but that's not my call to make.  Hit me up if you want them...they may be helpful. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 2112Greg said:

^^^  I can't place where that is...but yea, DON'T DO IT!

As folks may have noticed, I removed the pics that were of Meridian Bowl.  If you want me to send them to you, PM me with your email and I'll shoot them over to you.  I don't personally see a problem with posting them here, but that's not my call to make.  Hit me up if you want them...they may be helpful. 

I added the location to the post with the picture.

I don't have a problem with the maps you posted. That land owner likes MTBrs riding there. That is not true everywhere.

Edited by cxagent
  • Like 1

I thought that looked BCBG-ish, in fact, I liked that little step...  😞

The Tip and I were out at Meridian the other day and put this fun little jump in.  I don't know wtf is going on with this laugh, but watch this and make sure the audio is on so you can hear this giant goober at the end as I land.  Holy shit this is funny. lol

That may or may not be The Tip.  I can neither confirm nor deny.  

54 minutes ago, cxagent said:

Anybody recognize this spot????

The bitch slapping will continue...

If you can't ride it - Walk it. DO NOT MODIFY THE TRAIL!!!!

ETA - This is on the BCGB between Spyglass and the first creek crossing. This is about the only technical feature thru that section. Now it is not. I may take some rebar and epoxy and put most of it back.

First Ledge.jpg

Ugh, is that rock sitting at the bottom part of the upper ledge?  I know this spot well.  Kind of surprised it took someone this long to...modify it. 

..Al

• Like 1

I have to say that I'm giggling and laughing out there a lot. :classic_laugh:

I'm going to ride out there at 10 am Saturday morning if it rains less than a 1/4" in the morning. It was fine this afternoon so that amount won't hurt it at all.

I'm parking on Espina in front of the elementary school. I probably will be there two hours or so.

Ugh, is that rock sitting at the bottom part of the upper ledge?  I know this spot well.  Kind of surprised it took someone this long to...modify it. 
 ..Al
I noticed that the day it was moved. The CCCA(I think that's the group name) guys we're working near there that day. They do some goofy rock work sometimes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, eporter68 said:

I noticed that the day it was moved. The CCCA(I think that's the group name) guys we're working near there that day. They do some goofy rock work sometimes.

Texas Conservation Corps? There were supposed to be doing invasive removal. Not sanitizing the trail.

There has also been an ATV in the area that has displaced alot of rocks especially up the fortuna climb. I'm not saying someone didn't intentionally move that rock but I could imagine it getting pulled off the ledge then someone not in the know (newby) putting it like it is.

The police have been using ATVs on a lot of trails lately. I thought they had stopped using them on BCGB after they got two stuck on Elephant Butt. We saw a large group of police on ATVs leaving SATN on 2/13 on the Wednesday C&D.

I am sending an email about the ledge sanitizing to see what was the thinking. If it was to make a path the ATVs could climb that ledge, they would be stuck about 100 feet farther west where the trail gets narrow around some rocks.

On 2/23/2019 at 3:37 PM, attaboy said:

Went past a group of 4-5 police ATVs on BCGB main trail last week— they were stopped and it was near that ledge. I’m glad if they’re planning on having a presence so as to have some semblance of enforcement of any laws. But the trail damage has to add up.

New Austin sucks.

• Like 2

The rock at the bottom was one of 3 pieces of the rock slab that had been cracked and removed. I put the two I could fine backed and puzzle pieces them to their original position and repacked with mud.

2 weeks later. Both rocks had been removed and tossed away. At this point I am fine with the loss of the step. It’s still beginner challenging and opens up some new lines going the opposite way that protect roots.

I can go find all three pieces and put them back based upon old pictures I have if everyone prefer, but I feel it won’t be the same.

The entire slab is around 75 pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will not be the same even if we found all of the pieces. I have heard back from the TCC that it was not them. I have heard ZERO complaints about putting it back.

So I will put it back. With rebar and construction adhesive. I can make it hard to remove. Not impossible to remove, but harder :-) Kind of like repairing a tree somebody cut down - it makes it clear it was no accident that it was put back.

• Like 2

On 2/19/2019 at 11:45 AM, mack_turtle said:

If that is what I think it is, that trail has been repeatedly blocked and marked "no trespassing" by the land owner. We should stay out, lest we jeopardize access to everything else down there.

I took pictures of both entrances, the Self Storage driveway and the brush blocked jeep track, on the 1826 side yesterday. Neither entrance is posted with a no trespassing sign. I'm pretty sure there are no postings on the Slaughter Ln. side either.

So I am going to continue to use that cut through until they do put up signs. I can't think of what other trails we would be jeopardizing by doing so. I am certain that the jeep track is on the storage companies property. The brush blocking might be done by the homeowners that butt up against the jeep track acting on their own volition. 

You don't see the "no trespassing" sign because someone took it down, probably not in an authorized way but more of a "I can do whatever I want to hell with your sign" way. That trails was fully blocked and had a very prominent sign a few months ago.

Honestly though, I imagine the landowner is probably more concerned with people driving cars back there to dump stuff or do god-knows-what back there, so they are probably not that concerned about mountain bikers.

I like to err on the side of caution though. One of these days, the shit's gonna hit the fan on our trails because of stuff like this.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 1