IGNORED

South Austin Trail Network, The SATN

The Tip

• 2 weeks later...

Took a ride this morning. Pretty much everything I rode was good to go. The only real problem was on 45 on Median Well next to the red, white, and blue table jump. There was about 100 feet of sloppy wet stuff. But that was it on my entire ride. I even rode the east side of Phoenix. There's a bypass to avoid the west side of it. The west side of both Phoenix trails stay wet along time. I didn't even try there.

Bambi and under Mopac, (north of The Hump) was also good. Those two right there is enough to know the rest of the SATN is probably good too.

Escarpment Spillway didn't even get my feet wet.  But Double Dip and Gravel Crossing were still under water. Bowie Sidewalk was 2-4" deep, so it could be crossed. I didn't look at the three downstream crossings from there.

I would have ridden more dirt, because it was all so good, but I rode the 45 sidewalk to 1626, because I have been wanting to do that. It is really very pleasant. Of course it won't be so much so when the highway opens. But right now you can hear the birds and just enjoy the views. Very nicely done. And none of the many workers that saw me said a thing. 

• Like 1

The trail is blocked under Brodie near Convict Hill. Looks like someone put some effort in.Just wondering if this is:

a. An official trail closure.

b. The work of some repugnant curtain-twitching busy-body shit-faced little weaesel whose only source of joy in life is ruining other people’s fun.

c. Both a and b.

B2E2C53A-F5D7-4E7A-8B0E-2538CDA2B895.jpeg

E9670468-18B3-4011-B9B3-A0CB138676EB.jpeg

74914E46-6F15-4311-9D36-160B612591AC.jpeg

The trail is blocked under Brodie near Convict Hill. Looks like someone put some effort in.Just wondering if this is:
a. An official trail closure.
b. The work of some repugnant curtain-twitching busy-body shit-faced little weaesel whose only source of joy in life is ruining other people’s fun.
c. Both a and b.
B2E2C53A-F5D7-4E7A-8B0E-2538CDA2B895.thumb.jpeg.534159685aa8e0f6c63c383a16066559.jpeg
E9670468-18B3-4011-B9B3-A0CB138676EB.thumb.jpeg.9aa931d42eb729e0e32eb74024cb03ca.jpeg
74914E46-6F15-4311-9D36-160B612591AC.thumb.jpeg.7150d3bfb0bde560c9a4733ba46b2120.jpeg
Clearly the work of beavers

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

lol  I love 'b'

However, this cannot be the work, it seems to me, of a curtain-twitching busy-body.  Sure looks like it was washed up that way.  Isn't that at Everwet?  Looks like debris just piled up there from water flow.  That said, surely someone would have noticed that before now since the most recent rains weren't enough to create that...could it not be from flooding?  I can't see how this is the work of humans...but I could be way wrong!

I don't know wtf is going on there...but it looks like it's going to be a lot of work to clear that shit out!

Edited by 2112Greg

Guess I’m making false accusations aimed at imaginery people- sorry everyone! Didn’t really think of flooding as I’ve seen plenty of water there before but not any flow, and the pile was pretty well centered exactly on the trail.

Anyway, I have family coming to stay for a while today but if I manage to sneak out again in the next few days I’ll see if I can shift some of it.

Yea, that would be some pretty committed asshats to do that thorough of a job.  Just weird to see THAT MUCH shit in there...I've never seen it that high, for sure.  

I'm sure riders going by will chip taking it apart.  I'll post that on our Austin MTB Trail Conditions page...thanks for the heads up!

That looks like the same kind of flood debris we see everywhere.

Don't I remember that there is a bypass around Ever Wet? If this is the old Ever Wet we should leave this and clear the new route. If this is the new route - then maybe we need a 'newer route' because this will happen again. during the next heavy rain.

This is flood damage. It's happened before in that exact same space. There is even more this time though because of all the tree clearing the city did recently just up stream.

I'm thinking that a reroute should be worked just a few feet upstream from those trees that catch everything so we don't have to be confronted with this blockage after every flood event. That is what I did to bypass it when I rode past it on Saturday. It really only needs to a have a path weedeated out of the vegetation there. No big whoop. Much easier than clearing all that wood again.

And the "new" trail, that is on the north bank of the small stream there, has survived multiple rain events with no blockage. It dries and is good to go very quickly after a big rain. I rode through there today with no problems.

The newly developed short route around the wood blockage (on the bridge side of those trees) is easy to see too. I'll be curious how that new 50' of trail will do after a rain.

By the way, the "new" trail is 3 1/2 years old. I have not ridden the original trail since the solution to EverWet trail was built.

Edited by The Tip

• 2 weeks later...

Went for a ride this morning. Circle C and Veloway were good to go. Barring any rain today Crank and Drank is on.

Edited at 5:05:  Never mind.  It's raining on ATX Bikes right now.   

Edited by The Tip