IGNORED

South Austin Trail Network, The SATN

The Tip

1 minute ago, notyal said:

It's fun to mix the two as well. Start on the SATN for some warm up miles, then let BCGB kick your ass for a while, and limp back home on SATN.

I've done the opposite of this, started at BCGB, then hit a bunch of stuff in SATN, then made my way back north to where I parked.  I would not want to do that this time of year, though.  Once it starts cooling down again...

14 minutes ago, Albert said:

I've done the opposite of this, started at BCGB, then hit a bunch of stuff in SATN, then made my way back north to where I parked.  I would not want to do that this time of year, though.  Once it starts cooling down again...

I'd love to do that ride, when it cools a bit. I can take virtually any day off. Let me know if you want to ride.

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, The Tip said:

I posted this in the thread under events, but putting it here too

Google map with all three routes on it:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?hl=en&mid=1uW17XVqKni7OhNBs-iZfFjq84wvng9H9&ll=30.19231555044796%2C-97.87136449999997&z=13

This is awesome.  I did the South Route and parts of the North and East Route on Sunday as part of a 50 mile SATN ride.  What's crazy is that I think we only hit pavement for maybe 1/2 mile the entire time!  That ride up to and back from Slaughter Creek sucks but it's on dirt! 

Load these maps up into your phone or Garmin and get out there.  It's an awesome trail system with some big diversity.

1 hour ago, mack_turtle said:

That's fun too if you jump the driveway that's just north of SCNP and charge that gut-buster of a climb.

Yeah.  I didn't know that was coming but I almost cleared it.  In my mind it looked like a TDF road gap jump but I'm sure it wasn't quite that impressive in real life.  The climb was a PITA on my SS but I didn't want to stop in the full sun so I chugged to the top.

2 hours ago, Albert said:

Are people complaining about that tiny climb north of Slaughter Creek on 1826 to the intersection of Slaughter Lane?  lololol

..Al

No. Like Mack Turtle said, the harder one is going south out of Slaughter Creek. I do get a sense of accomplishment doing it. My problem is that I'm usually pretty tired by the time I tackle it. 

And speaking of Crank and Drank (what?! we weren't?) this week's is going to be another special one. Not only will be "practicing" the SATN Social's north route (18 miles), but we've been promised post ride chicken and sausage jambalaya to go along with our dranking, courtesy of a good member of our community.

Put next week on your calendar too. We've been promised a pizza party by yet another good member of the community. 

Edited by The Tip

13 hours ago, Albert said:

That one is even easier as it's more gradual...  😄

The one they are talking about is JUST south of the Slaughter Creek Trail driveway. The trail is hidden from the road by the trees on the south (east?) side of the road. When they built the road (1826 / Camp Ben McC) they 'flattened" the hill for the road. So the trail makes a pretty good climb with an off camber ~3' ledge almost to the top.

This one?  Just West of the driveway.  Right next to a barbed wire fence on the south side, and the trees and a drop on the north side toward 1826 right?

image.thumb.png.3c6512673260896beb5e2d68abfe2a3d.png

Start of the climb from the road view:

image.thumb.png.cbe9801b5115c55a30956dd1489e54f8.png

Is there a tougher climb?  This one is really short.  There's a longer one farther South by the water tower that's tougher IMO, but still not too bad.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

This one?  Just West of the driveway.  Right next to a barbed wire fence on the south side, and the trees and a drop on the north side toward 1826 right?

image.thumb.png.3c6512673260896beb5e2d68abfe2a3d.png

Start of the climb from the road view:

image.thumb.png.cbe9801b5115c55a30956dd1489e54f8.png

Is there a tougher climb?  This one is really short.  There's a longer one farther South by the water tower that's tougher IMO, but still not too bad.

Yeah, that climb is nothing, on either side.  I assume he's talking about something else?  The water tower climb is considerably more effort than the one in the above photos, but even that one's not horrible (unless maybe you're climbing it in the middle of a hot summer day!)

..Al

• Like 2