IGNORED

South Austin Trail Network, The SATN

The Tip

A fox (internet image)

Grey-Fox.jpg

joined us for the Drankin' after the Crankin' on Tuesday. They like jambalaya. Who knew?

But we were talking about wildlife we had seen throughout the SATN. Nobody mentioned a hog though. Are we the one area in central Texas that does not have them? 

• 2 weeks later...

Early scouting of trails has shown what we all knew. There is no way that a lot of the routes will be even close to being good to go. But the scouting that has been done has discovered that some of the trail WILL be good.

So there WILL be an event. BUT it will start at NOON. This decision was also based on the fact that our generous sponsors, ATX Bikes and Giant Bicycles, have already bought and paid for the food and drink for a party. So let's have a dang party!  

Please continue to scout trails. They are improving hourly of course. Even Saturday morning go and look and see what can be ridden. Then at noon we will come up with the game plan. We'll go ride for awhile, then come back and eat and drink. ATX Bikes will put up their tents and have music going. Not a bad way to spend a Saturday afternoon. 

No tickets or prize table this time. But the things that were to be given away will now be rolled into the Bowie Bulldog Scavenger Hunt. It is scheduled for November 16th. It too utilizes the SATN. Here's the link to sign up for that:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/bulldog-mtb-scavenger-hunt-november-16-2019-tickets-77524420629

Saturday is going to be a beautiful day. It will be fun. 

• Like 2

What stays rideable after a rain? I am sure most trails will be soggy tonight. After a rain, I am able to put in some decent miles on a cyclocross bike by riding Circle C gravel, Arbor Trails, Latta Branch Greenbelt, Archstone, DNP, VCT, Dirt Colberg, and the 1826 climb.

What's Meridian like after a rain? Could I enter near Bear Lake and pedal up to Bernia without sinking in and leaving a rut, or does that get too soft as well? It seems very rocky so it might be OK.

Anything else?

Edited by mack_turtle

It's just about all gravel road from Bear Lake to Bernia/Espcarpment so that would be doable. Except for the single track that goes from the jeep track to Bernia.

But on a ride, how would you get out to Bear Lake? Just roads?

Yup, we are off for tonight. When I rode yesterday it was softer and more moist than I thought it would be with all the sunshine Sunday. As I rode I was thinking that if we get any rain at all it would put us out of biz for Tuesday.

22 minutes ago, The Tip said:

but on a ride, how would you get out to Bear Lake? Just roads?

From DNP: Latta Greenbelt west to Davis, Dirt Colberg to Gorzycki (unless the backside of that hill has reopened behind the new apartments), left on 1826 up past the water tower, past Slaughter Creek and on up the hill to SH45.

Not sure if the first trails there would be rideable, so I'd take neighborhood streets to the Bear Lake entrance. Ride around the lake, down Ski Lift, up to Bernia. My only concern is the Jeep road here, might be too mucky at the bottom of the hill.

Fly down Escarpment, take a right at SH45 and ride the new bike path to 1626 and back to Escarpment.

Do a gravel lap past the soccer fields in Circle C, then gravel past Alamo Drafthouse. Back down Beckett to DNP.

It's a lot of pavement but it's better than sitting on my ass all evening. Pavement and hardpack is fun on a light-ish bike with 35mm tubeless semi-slick tires.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I haven’t been mountain biking at night before, but with my kids’ routine/ winter daylight hours I need to start. How are the bridges under William Cannon near Brodie, and under Brodie near Convict Hill, after dark? I have no concerns there during the day, but was wondering if I would be likely to be riding over extra “speed bumps” in sleeping bags, or set upon by the South Austin Strangler after dark?

Edited by Charlie193

Thanks! I guess I’m oblivious to whether most areas are sketchy unless its really obvious. I was only thinking of that area as its close to home, I know the trails well, and they’re fairly easy going. Would BCGB be a better bet for riding at night?

Edited by Charlie193

The only thing about the BCGB at night is that riding with lights will take some getting used to and lights will impact your depth perception.  So hard things look not as hard and can get you into trouble.  Personally, I LOVE riding trails at night and it's my favorite time to do it, but if you've never done it, I wouldn't suggest doing the BCGB until you've gotten used to the difference in how things look under lights at night.  I think the SATN would be better for that to get used to how different things look.  I know some experienced riders who pretty much won't do the BCGB at night because of this...it can be hairy.

I occasionally see homeless people under Wm Cannon, but I've never had any issues with them.  Riding alone, at least for me, has never been a problem with homeless folks.  I would, however, stay out of MMS at night alone.  There are quite a few homeless people in that area...

• 1 month later...

Last time I rode I was enjoying Bambi. It got me thinking about my favorite trails. I'm also trying to come up with a route to show off the best of the SATN this weekend to an out of town visitor. I was trying to think of the "can't miss" trails. 

Downhill fun ones: Bambi, 45 Flow, Meridian Bowl, Poke Eye Man

Just Flowy fun: House Fire, Inner Canterbury Loop, Circle C Soccer Circle/North Bank-South Bank runs. (do Double Dip from both banks!)

Do you agree with these top choices? What else is in your top ten? 

Edited by The Tip

Here are my highlights from the SATN.

The flow on Chip Chop/Rattlesnake is pretty awesome, super fast and fun. 

Genesis is awesome.

All of 45 Flow thru House Fire...most excellent.

I may be alone in this, but I really dig the first of the four Avana Escapes...the one that starts at the end of Escarpment.  Love that trail.

There are others, will post as they come to me.

5 hours ago, 2112Greg said:

Here are my highlights from the SATN.

The flow on Chip Chop/Rattlesnake is pretty awesome, super fast and fun. 

Genesis is awesome.

All of 45 Flow thru House Fire...most excellent.

I may be alone in this, but I really dig the first of the four Avana Escapes...the one that starts at the end of Escarpment.  Love that trail.

SOMEBODY likes the chunk! I do too in some spots.

I really like the chunky part at the lower end of South Bay. It's a good challenge for me. It is totally different from the rest of that flowy trail. But I like how there are multiple lines through it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Good starting point is Circle C Metro Park or ATX Bikes. There's a few miles of trail in Circle C alone.

If you head West through Circle C, you can ride to the boundary fence for Slaughter Creek Nature Preserve. The only entrance to SCNP is on 1826, but there is a trail along 1826 from Slaughter Lane to SH45.

You can ride trails along the Creek to the east, go under MOPAC in several locations, and ride trails between the Veloway and Bowie High School.

• Like 1

Park at ATX Bikes. They are on edge of Circle C Metro Park. There are four SATN trails that end at their parking lot.

There are 20 miles of trails that you can ride from ATX Bikes and never cross a street. Very hard to get lost because it is a relatively narrow area. The trails mostly run east and west. If you go too far north or south, you come to a road.

Be sure to go under the Escarpment bridge and the Mopac bridge to access all of the trails. There is only about 5 miles of (fun and flowy) trail between Mopac and Escarpment so you'll want more than that.

Edited by The Tip
  • Like 2

Saw this on posted on "Austin Mountain Biking" page on FB:

"Trail sanitizer in SATN. Please stop! If you see someone removing rocks or cutting trees from an intensionally challenging segment of trail, please persuade them to knock it off, by any means necessary."

Is this been a problem for a while, or just recent?