IGNORED

South Austin Trail Network, The SATN

The Tip

7 minutes ago, Yosmithy said:

Saw this on posted on "Austin Mountain Biking" page on FB:

"Trail sanitizer in SATN. Please stop! If you see someone removing rocks or cutting trees from an intensionally challenging segment of trail, please persuade them to knock it off, by any means necessary."

Is this been a problem for a while, or just recent?

A week or two ago I noticed quite a few large rocks have been pulled from the trail running next to Convict Hill, and also the other side of Brodie. Think it’s happened a few times in the last few years, but someone seems to be pretty busy ruining everyone else’s fun at the moment.

10 minutes ago, Charlie193 said:

A week or two ago I noticed quite a few large rocks have been pulled from the trail running next to Convict Hill, and also the other side of Brodie. Think it’s happened a few times in the last few years, but someone seems to be pretty busy ruining everyone else’s fun at the moment.

This is the second mention of rock removal on Whirlpool/Candy/Jane Fonda. But I can't picture where there were rocks, challenging or otherwise. Of course there are rocks on Boulder League, north of William Cannon, but I don't think that's where this is occurring? And does "other side of Brodie" mean in the Everwet area?

I read that some rocks on Bowie Stonewall have been moved too. sigh. We just need to keep talking about the sanitizing and hopefully the message will get through.

For the other side of Brodie, if you come down SP slalom run and take the left before the creek, there is a little root step then almost straight after a small rocky chute type thing. Someone has pulled a bunch of rocks from there- if that description makes sense.

I took pictures of the rock I found and replaced on the trail next to Convict Hill- it wouldn’t upload earlier, will try again in a bit.

I was planning to see if I could return some rocks to their homes this weekend, but the cedar got to me and I didn’t get out.

24 minutes ago, taco_junkie said:

🤬 That was one of my last white whales in SATN.

I don't ride that trail much because it's above my pay grade. But I rode/walked it today. Since I don't go on it much I couldn't recognize any changes. But those two sections on the south end are NOT any easier. Actually the maturation of the trail from weather and wear seems to have made it even more difficult. Go for it Capt. Ahab!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

On my ride yesterday I saw more hikers out on single track than I have ever seen in a day. This wasn't just on the VCT and other gravel paths, but on single track. Even on E Spank, the very new single track. Seriously, four times more than I have ever seen. It's like there was a national "get out and hike day" or something. I was equally surprised on how few bikers I saw on a perfect conditions day. 

Every one of the hikers stepped aside for me. I thanked them and asked, "how's it going?" or said, "beautiful day." 

I don't resent them being on "our" trails at all. I think it's great. I keep thinking of a scenario of a meeting at city council or a HOA discussing the fate of some trail and imagine our hiking friends in the crowd supporting the trails too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rode BCGB yesterday and the main trails were THICK with pedestrian traffic. No big deal, I just slowed down and tried to talk to everyone. I was passed by a rider with earbuds in who was having none of it. He was gonna KOM dammit. I left like I had to make up for his behavior by being extra cordial with everyone.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

I was passed by a rider with earbuds in who was having none of it. He was gonna KOM dammit. I left like I had to make up for his behavior by being extra cordial with everyone.

I have this experience often at BCGB.  Yes, I always feel like I'm representing MTB and have to make up for people such as this.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

I left like I had to make up for his behavior by being extra cordial with everyone.

I do that a lot. I use the trails to hike with my LEASHED dogs also, so I see bad on both sides. It makes me over friendly hoping to heal some of the evils others do.

• Like 2

looking to ride the SATN next week and coming up from san Antonio, is there a preferred place to start from-hill of life and route or direction to head towards to begin my exploration of the trail system?  Also are weekday early mornings or late mornings going to have less traffic than later in the day?

Thanks

If you start at the Hill of Life you will have a lot of Barton Creek Greenbelt to ride through to get to the SATN. The exit from BCGB is on 290 near Spec's. Not that there's anything wrong with that plan.

But if you just want to explore the SATN there are places within the network that would be better. ATX Bikes is pretty much the center of the SATN universe now. Dick Nichols park is another good starting place. Or Circle C Metro park by the disc golf course parking lot. Or the new parking lot at the elbow of Mopac and 45. Or on LaCrosse next to the Veloway.

By 7:30 traffic is starting to get bad. I would say it clears up a bit by 9:30. I'm sure others would have a more informed opinion about that.

If you start at the Hill of Life you will have a lot of Barton Creek Greenbelt to ride through to get to the SATN. The exit from BCGB is on 290 near Spec's. Not that there's anything wrong with that plan.
But if you just want to explore the SATN there are places within the network that would be better. ATX Bikes is pretty much the center of the SATN universe now. Dick Nichols park is another good starting place. Or Circle C Metro park by the disc golf course parking lot. Or the new parking lot at the elbow of Mopac and 45. Or on LaCrosse next to the Veloway.
By 7:30 traffic is starting to get bad. I would say it clears up a bit by 9:30. I'm sure others would have a more informed opinion about that.
Thank you, is there a preferred route from ATX bikes, or just simply explore and enjoy looking for the more technical areas to ride.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

It's hard NOT to find good stuff starting at ATX Bikes. There is a little more technical stuff west of Escarpment (DiscGo DiscGo and No Walk in the Park), and even more technical stuff east of Mopac (Bowie Stonewall). Not miles of it though. SATN is mostly flowy fun, with short rock gardens and features interspersed here and there. 

Post up here when you are thinking about riding. Lots of folks like to show the SATN off and would be happy to guide you.

• Like 1

It's hard NOT to find good stuff starting at ATX Bikes. There is a little more technical stuff west of Escarpment (DiscGo DiscGo and No Walk in the Park), and even more technical stuff east of Mopac (Bowie Stonewall). Not miles of it though. SATN is mostly flowy fun, with short rock gardens and features interspersed here and there. 
Post up here when you are thinking about riding. Lots of folks like to show the SATN off and would be happy to guide you.
I appreciate it, have a good weekend.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, natas1321 said:

looking to ride the SATN next week and coming up from san Antonio, is there a preferred place to start from-hill of life and route or direction to head towards to begin my exploration of the trail system?  Also are weekday early mornings or late mornings going to have less traffic than later in the day?

Thanks

I'd recommend getting a guide. what day will you be there? There's a Tuesday night ride that starts at 6 p.m. at ATX Bikes Also a Thursday nighter also at 6 p.m. at Cycle Werks, but the CW ride might go into Barton Creek or SATN, depending on the mood of the riders that night.

• 1 month later...
On 8/21/2018 at 2:05 PM, The Tip said:

A place to discuss it all. All 80 miles of it.

Can I take that "80" back?

The SATN is easily over 90 miles now.

On another note, I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but I have to do a PSA.

Just about every time I ride Drip Drop, or anything in the area (wink wink, new stuff) I come across someone walking their dog. I hope like hell that all riders are being as courteous as possible to these people who are no doubt homeowners and a part of the HOA that Drip Drop is on. 

"Hello." "Nice day isn't it?" "Pretty dog" "Thanks" (for stepping out of the way) 

It only takes ONE vocal resident to make a stink to get that lovely area removed from our SATN access. DON'T be the person that triggers that!

• Like 8