IGNORED

South Austin Trail Network, The SATN

The Tip

Going to attempt this tomorrow...  

southie_ride.thumb.jpg.e9644d68301f2e0e824cf60df07884ed.jpg

Going to start at the parking lot near Austin High School, ride some of the greenbelt, make my way south to the Slaughter Creek Trail, continue south to 45, then east a bit, then head back north.  Many of the connecting trails I haven't ridden before, so should be...interesting. 

• Like 1

Very ambitious. You are giving up single track to ride road a couple of times. Like going behind ATX Bikes and up Beckett instead of going under Mopac, past Backspin Bar,  and down Bambi.

How did you do this map? What's the difference between the blue and red lines? We have been having a discussion about how to make Strava routes that would be great tools for showing people what the Crank and Drank's route would be each week. 

I made the map using MapMyRide.  The red lines are where I had to turn "Follow roads" (which includes bike trails marked in Google Maps) off because trails are missing.  I used the Strava Heatmap to find various trails not shown in Google, but I'm sure I missed quite a bit.  I don't get down there often enough.  The red lines are generally where there's singletrack and are not usually a straight line in real life.  😄

1 hour ago, The Tip said:

How did you do this map? What's the difference between the blue and red lines? We have been having a discussion about how to make Strava routes that would be great tools for showing people what the Crank and Drank's route would be each week. 

Tip - MapMyRide and ridewithgps.com are excellent ways to create routes from scratch. They won't have many of the Southie/SATN trails since they're not on Google Maps but you can manually create them, but that takes time to draw out. Dropping a GPX ride file into these types of programs provides more detail upfront w/ less editing on the back end. Let's sync-up and I'll show you.

• Like 1

Finished my ride and just got home!!  Ended up riding 49 miles and moving time was 5:43.  Was able to ride it pretty much as I laid it out, but some of the construction forced me to pause and or route around a few times.  Really love that trail wedged between the two sides of 45, but had fun on everything.  Maybe less so the stuff completely exposed to the sun after things started heating up.  Really crazy how much trail is down there.  And I'm sure I could have stitched it together even better with more singletrack, but my knowledge of all the SATN trails is limited.

I noticed they are starting to build concrete paths on top of some existing trails.  Was surprised to see concrete underneath Mopac east of Dick Nichols park, and then more along Mopac further north.  And saw flags and stakes in other areas that made me go, "Hmmmmmm..."  

Here's my Strava for the ride: 

https://www.strava.com/activities/1792980740

1 hour ago, Albert said:

I was wondering if any of the trail I rode today beyond the top of the Violet Crown trailhead on 290 is also part of the Violet Crown trail.  

Just a little. When you exited Dick Nichols, going under Mopac, that concrete (is it finished?) is Violet Crown. But that was only for about 100 yards. Then as you approached Convict Hill, as soon as you got on concrete, that was Violet Crown too until you got to Convict Hill.  

3 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

Nice loop! you hit a lot of it, but there is so much more. there's a loop or two in the middle of Circle C Metro and then a ton of stuff to the west along Slaughter Creek. and more beside that. 

I need to make the trek down periodically for the weekly rides and other SATN ride calls so I can learn more.  My main goal was creating a ~50 mile loop starting at Austin High School and incorporating some of BCGB.  But I need to start at Dick Nichols or somewhere else off Slaughter and see how much I can hit in one day.  🙂

3 minutes ago, The Tip said:

Did you ever see this Strava ride? He hit all the areas. Not much road, not much repeating. He left a little trail on the table in each area, but it was a dang good ride.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1677023345

No, I haven't looked at this, but I will now!  75 miles and an elapsed time of nine and a half hours.  Nice.  If I tried this I'd probably spend two hours with all the time I'd need to figure out where I'm going.  🙂