IGNORED

South Austin Trail Network, The SATN

The Tip

as I understand it, this segment of trails is not a sanctioned in any way. however, boobytrapping and vandalizing property you don't own should not be tolerated either. to whose authority can this be reported without compromising access to it?

I reported this once on Nextdoor to see if I could root out the vandal and nothing happened.

2 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

I reported this once on Nextdoor to see if I could root out the vandal and nothing happened.

Speaking of Nextdoor, we also encountered - someplace after Library, when you turn right onto the double track and head toward Skirmish - an unpleasant lady who refused to step to the side of the trail to let us pass, and repeatedly told us that these trails were for hikers only. We were happy to correct her - I'll bet you'll hear all about THAT on Nextdoor!

I was in Mary Moore Searight on a not commonly used trail. Some crazy lady that said her house was "right there" yelled at me: "This is a park. There can't be trails in here!" 😄

I went over to look at Rudolph. Wow. SOOOO bizarre. It looked exactly like an elephant walked through the brush and knock a couple of cedars over.  I tried to picture a truck coming through that brush but there just was no evidence of that.

ANYway, it's all cleaned up and rideable now. At least right now it is. (sighs) 

And that land where these trees were is owned by Walmart. I am VERY certain they did not do this. Did I say "bizarre" yet

• Like 2

Just now, The Tip said:

I was in Mary Moore Searight on a not commonly used trail. Some crazy lady that said her house was "right there" yelled at me: "This is a park. There can't be trails in here!" 😄

I went over to look at Rudolph. Wow. SOOOO bizarre. It looked exactly like an elephant walked through the brush and knock a couple of cedars over.  I tried to picture a truck coming through that brush but there just was no evidence of that.

ANYway, it's all cleaned up and rideable now. At least right now it is. (sighs) 

And that land where these trees were is owned by Walmart. I am VERY certain they did not do this. Did I say "bizarre" yet

Remember that bison that was loose in South Austin a few years back?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Charlie193 said:

Be honest- whose been snacking and not cleaning up after themselves on the trail?

67EE7DEB-47DF-4FAB-B0ED-83C20AD98C4F.jpeg

I've seen the exact thing in the trail really close to my house.  It's a good thing to keep the deer population in check.  I think some of them are starting to look mutant from inbreeding.

FYI: there's a lot more aggressive anti-bike signage in Meridian recently. Not how how big an issue that really is, but they are expressing that they want to limit access to residents only. We may need to start skipping a few trail segments to accommodate this, but it's hard to know where the limits are until you get there on your bike.

I did a quick run through Rudolph this morning - or at least attempted to. The vandal has been assiduously at work, partially snapping smaller cedars to bend them across the trail, putting sticks across the trail on turns, and moving a few rocks into the way. I cleared what I could, tossing the loose limbs javelin-style far from the trail. Someone will need to stop by with a saw and a helper to get rid of the larger damaged trees.

Interestingly, the majority of the damage is within 100 feet of both entrances to Rudolph - maybe someone is parking nearby?

IMG_20201125_092802524.jpg

IMG_20201125_092858704.jpg

IMG_20201125_093337668.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

The person making these messes is most likely acting alone. Each day, there are dozens of people riding through there and we all clean it up. We'll win this battle, but it's still strange that one person is this determined to F up the trail.

I was there fairly early, and a lot of it looked fresh - maybe someone getting in at first light?