IGNORED

South Austin Trail Network, The SATN

The Tip

3 hours ago, TAF said:

Paid for by whom? There’s a good chance you’ll lose em, if they are spotted by our vandal.

https://www.fieldandstreamshop.com/p/stealth-wildview-trail-camera-12mp-20wviuwv1212mprxxtch/20wviuwv1212mprxxtch?camp=SEM:FNS_92700040565754029_nonbrand_pla-562973300528&gclid=Cj0KCQiAwf39BRCCARIsALXWETx2nUyXuwjeflddoLI_8DudiiKk5BqjIjfRm21aCFGRG9spBYcnur8aAqwUEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I actually proposed just taking up a collection at C&D a few years back to give to Karl so he could get a cheap camera to investigate some troubles on another trail at the time.

I'd also invest in some metal zip ties, or such, to keep it somewhat secure. 

BTW, I was meaning to comment. I actually suited up with double condoms and made my annual trek to the South and rode SCT.

I was amazed at the steady stream of MTB'rs riding down the road to enter SCT. I think there was more bike traffic on the single track along side 1826, than the road itself. Curious, is there actual trail that connects to that section, or are they just riding up along Slaughter Ln to get there?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Big_papa_nuts said:

https://www.fieldandstreamshop.com/p/stealth-wildview-trail-camera-12mp-20wviuwv1212mprxxtch/20wviuwv1212mprxxtch?camp=SEM:FNS_92700040565754029_nonbrand_pla-562973300528&gclid=Cj0KCQiAwf39BRCCARIsALXWETx2nUyXuwjeflddoLI_8DudiiKk5BqjIjfRm21aCFGRG9spBYcnur8aAqwUEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I actually proposed just taking up a collection at C&D a few years back to give to Karl so he could get a cheap camera to investigate some troubles on another trail at the time.

I'd also invest in some metal zip ties, or such, to keep it somewhat secure. 

I’m not a C&D attendee, but I’d be happy to chip in.

41 minutes ago, Yosmithy said:

I was amazed at the steady stream of MTB'rs riding down the road to enter SCT. I think there was more bike traffic on the single track along side 1826, than the road itself. Curious, is there actual trail that connects to that section, or are they just riding up along Slaughter Ln to get there?

There are a few ways to get to SCT using the singletrack along 1826. If you're riding Circle C metro, there's singletrack along Slaughter Lane that leads to 1826, which makes a nice, long route. If you're riding the Latta Creek trails (Drip Drop, Koopa, etc.) you can climb the hill at the end of Davis Lane, cut through the parking lots at Gorzycki Middle School and end up at that same corner. You can also go south along 1826 for a big hill climb that will get you back into Circle C at Spruce Canyon or continue south to SH45 and the trails out that way. I've ridden SCT quite a few times and I've never parked at the SCT lot because there are more interesting ways to get there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

There are a few ways to get to SCT using the singletrack along 1826. If you're riding Circle C metro, there's singletrack along Slaughter Lane that leads to 1826, which makes a nice, long route. If you're riding the Latta Creek trails (Drip Drop, Koopa, etc.) you can climb the hill at the end of Davis Lane, cut through the parking lots at Gorzycki Middle School and end up at that same corner. You can also go south along 1826 for a big hill climb that will get you back into Circle C at Spruce Canyon or continue south to SH45 and the trails out that way. I've ridden SCT quite a few times and I've never parked at the SCT lot because there are more interesting ways to get there.

I just copied this text so I know the next time.  Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yosmithy said:

I suspect secret Southie talk here

Not at all.

I've never driven there to ride either. The point is there is an interesting way to come from both directions to get to the Maxwell Slaughter Creek trail. Ride to it, do the five mile loop, then ride out in the other direction, because there's interesting stuff that way too. 

Changing to the other issue; this recent problem on Rudolph is a real head scratcher. Why is this person doing this? And why on the newest trail? It's not like they are use to having Rudolph all to themselves. 

"Disposable" game camera. Interesting concept. That's the cheapest one I've ever seen. I've thought about putting mine out there but I didn't want to lose it like was mentioned. 

So we capture an image of this asshole. Then what? Maybe write a note with their picture on it explaining to them that their actions are criminal? Inform them that you can't even cause harm to to a trespasser on your own property legally (The homeowner getting prosecuted for booby trapping a door to catch a burglar comes to mind), much less so on other people's property. But would that knowledge slow them down or just infuriate them further? Unless they are a total sociopath they know what they are doing is wrong.

I'm leaning towards the solution of just continuing to undo their work. There are more of us than what I am assuming is one person. Perhaps they'll lose interest and stop or move away. I DO want to see them at work one time. I would ask them why they are doing it. It's just so strange!

Edited by The Tip
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Yosmithy said:

I suspect secret Southie talk here

The only way to enter and exit SCT is at 1826. There's singletrack right next to the road by which you can approach from either north or south. None of those ways are secret or hard to find, although most of the trails in question are unsanctioned but on public land.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

admittedly, we like to park at torchys and ride to SCT and back for margaritas. 

• Like 2

Torchy's on Slaughter is my groups starting spot for everything SATN.  So a buddy of mine rode Bambi today and the asshole placed a large branch across it.  As some of you know Bambi is more of a high speed downhill so a branch across it is dangerous.  I have a mind to just camp out there and wait, though is identification enough of a deterrent?  Shit pisses me off.

• Like 1

If it’s happening everyday, set up a sign-up genius page and get riders to sign up to ride it every 30 minutes all day long. People can even do out and backs. Someone will run into this person in the act or right after it. Note all the people you pass (including bikes) and you’ll have them.

What to do about it? I’d say talk to them....nicely. Find out why they are doing it? Did they bury a dog out there years ago? Did some Strava douche run them off the trial and into poison ivy? Who knows but being dicks to them will probably just make them expand the war to more trails. The camera idea is only useful if we’re going to the authorities. That’s generally note the best route unless everything is sanctioned and even then risky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 11/26/2020 at 5:38 AM, TAF said:

Paid for by whom? There’s a good chance you’ll lose em, if they are spotted by our vandal.

you can get cellular cameras now that will upload the pics. You can also get boxes to lock the cameras and might be able to slide a GPS device in.

I've rehearsed what I'm going to say if I see ANY hikers on those two trails.

"Have you seen the vandalism? Why do you think anyone would do that? A biker could get seriously hurt. Do you think they know it is a criminal act that has put people in jail before?"

And so on. Not accusing that person but still engaging them in a non-confrontational way. 

I've rehearsed what I'm going to say if I see ANY hikers on those two trails.
"Have you seen the vandalism? Why do you think anyone would do that? A biker could get seriously hurt. Do you think they know it is a criminal act that has put people in jail before?"
And so on. Not accusing that person but still engaging them in a non-confrontational way. 

I think this is a great approach but I’d make two changes. Take out the “biker” part in the seriously hurt part and replace it with “someone” or “a kid” or “a dog.” I’d also say that there is a high school team that regularly uses the trails as well as regular father/daughter/family rides that take place all the time.

Even bat shit crazy people generally don’t want to hurt kids or dogs and an indiscriminate booby trap can do that. If they act concerned and start saying that any slow moving critter could avoid the trap, point out the local groms that shred at 5 years old instead of playing on a computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 5

On 11/26/2020 at 1:17 PM, The Tip said:

this recent problem on Rudolph is a real head scratcher. Why is this person doing this? And why on the newest trail? It's not like they are use to having Rudolph all to themselves. 

On this topic, do we know exactly who owns the land where Rudolph runs?  Are we sure it's public park land or highway easement or whatever?  If we're not sure, maybe this person is also not sure and considers it to be their property.  That being the case, before anyone confronts someone on the trail, it would probably be advised to have some solid evidence that we have a right to be there.  Just my $0.02.

I rode up Rudolph this morning just to check the conditions/sabotage. I cleared two rocks at the north end, but the south end was in bad shape. Multiple rocks, the cedar that someone keeps dragging across the trail, another smaller cedar and lots of small brush. I’m wondering if there is a homeless camp in there and they don’t want anyone going thru there. Like the rest of y’all, I just don’t understand why this one section is such an affront to that “special“ person. 

• Like 2

On 11/30/2020 at 6:02 PM, Jackie said:

I rode up Rudolph this morning just to check the conditions/sabotage. I cleared two rocks at the north end, but the south end was in bad shape. Multiple rocks, the cedar that someone keeps dragging across the trail, another smaller cedar and lots of small brush. I’m wondering if there is a homeless camp in there and they don’t want anyone going thru there. Like the rest of y’all, I just don’t understand why this one section is such an affront to that “special“ person. 

That was my guess as well. I figure it is getting too close to someone's "home".

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/adult-dies-after-reportedly-suffering-fall-in-southwest-austin-austin-travis-county-ems-says/

"AUSTIN (KXAN) — One person is dead after reportedly suffering a fall in southwest Austin Monday afternoon, according to Austin-Travis County EMS.

ATCEMS reported at about 3 p.m., first responders, including STAR Flight, responded to the incident near the 6300 block of Tasajillo Trail. That’s near La Crosse Avenue. KXAN Crews on scene said it happened on a trail behind the homes in the neighborhood.

Initial reports were of a possible unconscious person who suffered a fall. A bystander helped to give CPR to the patient, ATCEMS said.

ATCEMS Medics eventually pronounced the adult dead on scene, the agency said. The scene is now being turned over to law enforcement."

Discgo Discgo is there, anyone hear about this and whether it was a hiker or biker?