IGNORED

South Austin Trail Network, The SATN

The Tip

Yes exactly, between Brodie and Brush Country (it eventually dumps you into a Valero on William Cannon). The trails are marked on trailforks as "Williamson Creek Trail" if that helps.

Yes that dark drop right under Mopac! That and about 10 other areas where you would navigate around/over boulders or between trees are now kind of gone. On the whole I'm stoked about the new sections, just a little salty about removing the techy bits.. Do hope they don't smooth over more and more chunk in the area though.

Yep a few weeks ago that small new section Flow daddy or Flow mama appeared right East of Mopac with the steep drops into the creek, I dig that for sure.

At first I thought it was the cross bike people but I doubt it is. Agreed though, I'm impressed that anyone is out there trying to improve those trails.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

step on the pile and hold your foot there for 30 seconds. if you feel pinches all over your ankles after 30 seconds, congratulations! you just found fire ants1

There are hundreds of them - are there really that many ants emerging from hibernation?

6 hours ago, TAF said:

What are these? They are all over the Southies. Moles, voles, ocelots, marmots ... or warbler?

IMG_20210127_090937288.thumb.jpg.9dcb9a40ceda2b9855888a12aa4b6829.jpg

Fire ants. After big rains they pop up everywhere--especially in open fields like one might find on the Southie Trails (or cow pastures). Growing up on the coast as a kid, when it would flood the fire ants would build new mounds on top of their dead compatriots and float in the ditches.

Fire ants. After big rains they pop up everywhere--especially in open fields like one might find on the Southie Trails (or cow pastures). Growing up on the coast as a kid, when it would flood the fire ants would build new mounds on top of their dead compatriots and float in the ditches.

When it floods they make ‘rafts’ by all clinging together. I believe that they rotate position so the ones in the water don’t drown. They are survivors but I hate the little bastards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An FYI/ask for those that ride through Avana. There's been some dumping or homeless activity off the trail near Escarpment between Antigo and Estana (northernmost section near 45 of Avana trails). Just keep a heads up and let me know if you see anything. It's in the area that usually sits under standing water after rain (near drainage under Escarpment) so may just be a dumping spot. Neighbors will probably also be clearing what's in there at some point. Thanks for any assistance.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, gdog-1992 said:

An FYI/ask for those that ride through Avana. There's been some dumping or homeless activity off the trail near Escarpment between Antigo and Estana (northernmost section near 45 of Avana trails). Just keep a heads up and let me know if you see anything. It's in the area that usually sits under standing water after rain (near drainage under Escarpment) so may just be a dumping spot. Neighbors will probably also be clearing what's in there at some point. Thanks for any assistance.

The general level of trash is appalling in the sections of the SATN which I regularly ride. Piles of garbage and clothing strewn all over the place under just about every bridge, plus the Valero area trailheads. We ought to get organized as a group and do some cleanup, as I've a feeling no one else will.

The general level of trash is appalling in the sections of the SATN which I regularly ride. Piles of garbage and clothing strewn all over the place under just about every bridge, plus the Valero area trailheads. We ought to get organized as a group and do some cleanup, as I've a feeling no one else will.

I’m in to help. I think we could just organize a central location to pick up a big trash bag and gloves and then send out groups to problem areas. It’s the ride-n-renew or something catchy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Tree Magnet said:

I’m in to help. I think we could just organize a central location to pick up a big trash bag and gloves and then send out groups to problem areas. It’s the ride-n-renew or something catchy.

I was thinking about that a little on the ride. I think if we start to make a list of 'hotspots', someone would need to pull off to the side of the road in a pickup so the bags could be loaded. Some of these places will amount to a dozen bags of trash or more - not to mention shopping carts. There are 4-5 shopping carts under the Brodie underpass alone. It might even be worth coordinating with Sunset Valley / COA and get them to designate a dropoff point for all this stuff.

I would feel good about giving the trail system some love, though.

13 hours ago, gdog-1992 said:

What kind of trash are you finding back there? Any way to tell if it's an accumulation of individual items, or does it look like it was dumped all at once? trash accumulates where people experiencing homelessness camp, but I would be really surprised if anyone was camping that far away from public toilets, panhandling spots, etc. it's too far away from commercial development to be a good camping spot. there's a lot of construction in the area, and getting ride of construction waste (including soda bottles that workers were drinking and all that) is difficult, so they might be dumping. residents dumping there doesn't make any sense because they should all have municipal trash pickup. hikers might drop something. riders don't carry enough around with them that they would dump it in any amount that would accumulate.

how does the HOA feel about these trails? if we volunteer to keep them clean, it would reflect well on the users. on the other hand, drawing any attention to the area might have bad results.

4 hours ago, TAF said:

Count me in to help with trash pickup.  The Valero Loop is in need the most for sure.  I rode the Avana trails about a week ago and didnt see much trash at the time, but will keep an eye out.  I cant think of any other part of SATN that is in dire need but will pay more attention in the future.