IGNORED

South Austin Trail Network, The SATN

The Tip

19 minutes ago, CrownKing said:

yeah, went through there yesterday.  It is kind of funny, it started with a few boulders, the trail moves around them, more boulders show up, trail moves, now fully blocked except the middle boulder is easily rolled over.  

The HOA and the neighbors clearly don't want anyone using that entrance. there are other ways in and out of that area, so please stop using the blocked one.

if you want to lose access to the whole place, by all means, please continue to ride about the big signs that say "do not enter."

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

The HOA and the neighbors clearly don't want anyone using that entrance. there are other ways in and out of that area, so please stop using the blocked one.

if you want to lose access to the whole place, by all means, please continue to ride about the big signs that say "do not enter."

Yeah man, lots of signs up and these boulders in place, as well as trees blocking some of the exits around around bernina street. looks like HOA is a bit pissed and isn't going to let it go.

• Like 1

Great news!

Today I went to see what was going on in the Meridian Bowl. I was pleased (?) to see that the new "trail" was actually just the powerline where the power company cut a wide swath and mulched all the cuttings. And now a line has developed along it. Yes, there are three manmade jumps. One using a pallet. I am not fond of wooden jumps anyway and pallets are the worst. They don't last long and then they become hazardous. But I digress.

I then emailed the trails committee chairman to ask him about all this and if we could do anything. Reiterating that we in the MTB community are working hard to maintain the area as is. He replied they knew about that line AND the jumps and do not have a problem with it. He even said, "We very much appreciate the respect the community has given the area, no complaints here." So they have walked around and seen everything there is to see and are good with it.

So we are good to go! So nice to get a win every now and then. And such a good win. There are at least 10 good manmade jumps there now. That's not counting all the ledges. The ledges there present an "all you can do" challenge to any level of jumper I think. I know I'll never huck some of them! Roll'em sure, but no air.

I am still reluctant to publicize how great an area this is. Or run big group rides through. I just don't want to push our luck.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, The Tip said:

He even said, "We very much appreciate the respect the community has given the area, no complaints here." So they have walked around and seen everything there is to see and are good with it.

How can we get this guy and his committee to become our poster child for how mountain bikers can work with communities to create amenities that drive up the home value and prevent the encroachment of things they don't want?  This is so great.  Excellent work out there!

• Like 1

I'm sure some of you are on Facebook and saw the recent long post about a bad accident on a section of the Slaughter Creek trail. 

image.thumb.png.43c9614060a76c81082fc9f422b775dd.png

Long story short, guy was riding north, hit that paved embankment with speed and sent it into the stormwater basin and got himself really badly hurt. This is a Circle C HOA owned parcel. Lots of back and forth about how and what should be done about the spot. So heads up for anyone more in the know on that section of trail and the Circle C HOA contacts.

I always thought it would be cool to put a transition at the bottom of that stormwater pond wall and drop into it. it would be nearly impossible to do without a transition at the bottom. seems like a guardrail around it should be required considering how steep and deep it is. I see stormwater retention infrastructure all over town that is not as severe that has safety rails around it.

Despite the pre-lunch drizzle I thought I’d chance a ride today as I already had my gear on. The Convict Hill/Davis/Bambi area was all dry on the trails, maybe one or two vaguely damp rocks on Rudolph, but nothing was even that slick as of 1pm-ish. If you have the time it’s worth sneaking out before the vortex of despair arrives, assuming it doesn’t start hosing down.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you were coming from Escarpment and crossing Abilene, that’s Long Haul Trucker on Strava. The trail continues on the other side of the creek, although I don’t think I’ve never ridden in that direction, so I don’t know how visible it is. It is definitely there, though.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, avines said:

If you were coming from Escarpment and crossing Abilene, that’s Long Haul Trucker on Strava. The trail continues on the other side of the creek, although I don’t think I’ve never ridden in that direction, so I don’t know how visible it is. It is definitely there, though.

nope. I've ridden that segment dozens of times and this is different. this is an offshoot from LHT that goes directly into the creek bed. shortly after crossing Abilene, LHT goes to the right away from the creek but there's a different route that goes straight into the creek.

nope. I've ridden that segment dozens of times and this is different. this is an offshoot from LHT that goes directly into the creek bed. shortly after crossing Abilene, LHT goes to the right away from the creek but there's a different route that goes straight into the creek.

Whoops. I missed the very obvious curlicue in the middle of your map that shows what you were talking about. I’ve seen it but figured it was just a crossover for the creek and never investigated on my way to Drip Drop.

3 minutes ago, The Tip said:

My wife and rode into that. It just peters out on the other side of the creek bed. So nothing to it that we could tell. VERY interesting rock creek bed though. Too bad it can't be used for much.

If I were to develop a line through there, would that cause any friction? could be a fun rocky tech segment. the alternative trail next to it is already quite tricky.

19 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

If I were to develop a line through there, would that cause any friction? could be a fun rocky tech segment. the alternative trail next to it is already quite tricky.

Sooo, a b-line then?

I'm kidding!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

Just checked CAD. It's all city of Austin land right up to the houses property lines.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2021 at 10:30 AM, mack_turtle said:

I remember in Bentonville on the Back 40 there is a little trail that shoots off into a creekbed.  It's one of the 'black' trails so I had to check it out.  It really just runs parallel to another trail and the only reason for it being there is to play in the rocks.  It's as good a reason to build a trail as any!

• Like 1

I ended up clearing about 10 pieces of brush - mostly broken tree limbs - from Bambi yesterday afternoon.  They were small and easy to clear, but enough to make you stop.  Clearly someone placed them there. Very annoying.  

Edited by SouthManPlus
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, SouthManPlus said:

I ended up clearing about 10 pieces of brush - mostly broken tree limbs - from Bambi yesterday afternoon.  They were small and easy to clear, but enough to make you stop.  Clearly someone placed them there. Very annoying.  

That’s a shame- I thought whoever was doing this had got bored/found some other way to be a wanker and moved on. What time were you there? I was out yesterday at lunch , probably a little after 12:30 and Bambi was clear except for one tire right at the Davis entrance. Might be able to figure out the trail blocker’s preferred hours.