IGNORED

South Austin Trail Network, The SATN

The Tip

42 minutes ago, Charlie193 said:

That’s a shame- I thought whoever was doing this had got bored/found some other way to be a wanker and moved on. What time were you there? I was out yesterday at lunch , probably a little after 12:30 and Bambi was clear except for one tire right at the Davis entrance. Might be able to figure out the trail blocker’s preferred hours.

I saw that tire Wed am - it wasn't blocking the trail at that point, but I did wonder where it had appeared from.

14 minutes ago, TAF said:

I saw that tire Wed am - it wasn't blocking the trail at that point, but I did wonder where it had appeared from.

Yesterday it was right in the middle of the trail with a little rock in front of it. I suppose it’s possible that someone had placed it there to hop over, but for someone as lazy as me, I was still going too slow after turning in from the sidewalk to think about that.

I remember someone saw/talked to the suspected vandal and said there was some mental heath issues most likely present.  I was thinking, the next time someone comes across the Bambi/Rudolph vandal they offer them a few bucks ($1-5) to help us keep the trail clear.  I dont know how to make this work or if it will, but maybe incentive him to stop.  Apologies in advance if this is a bad idea in dealing with homeless people.  

• Like 3

On that note, when you approach the Valero Loop, there's a popular panhandler spot across from the gas station. you often see Joshua there with his dogs, tattoos on his face, and a sad sign. I've seen him around William Cannon / Brodie area as well. word is his white dog (I think it was Brian) died last week and some neighbors are working on having the dog cremated for him. so if you see him, be sure to leave a friendly gesture as I'm sure he's grieving right now.

also on that spot, there's a guy with a mobile music setup who plays cover songs. he's quite good and worth sticking around to hear.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

Do you guys know if the searight park trails across the river to first are clear? hoping to drag the wife out there this weekend.

River? You mean Slaughter Creek?

I've seen a few rides now that have done just about everything in Mary Moore. So I'm assuming that it's clear. At the least, clear enough.

• Thanks 1

Side note, the Kincheon Branch that shoots out of DN is a pretty fun, but overlooked, little section.  The only downside is that once you hit Abilene Trail, you have to ride a bunch a blocks to get to trails that lead to Drip Drop.  I can't remember what it's called, but it's something like rocky or chunky something.  It just traces along the creek there...mostly pedestrians, I think, but a fun, even a little technical trail.  
image.thumb.png.0497b728c5a6784005371c32568729d5.png

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

Chunk Truck is before that. I always make a point to hit that segment. there are several alternative ways to get through there.

Probably the same as what's called 'Rocky Trail' where the old truck is...I'm thinking?  It does line up with this trail.  Some fun, chunky stuff...and it sounds cool as you ride it and all the rocks are bouncing off each other.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 2112Greg said:

Side note, the Kincheon Branch that shoots out of DN is a pretty fun, but overlooked, little section.  The only downside is that once you hit Abilene Trail, you have to ride a bunch a blocks to get to trails that lead to Drip Drop.  I can't remember what it's called, but it's something like rocky or chunky something.  It just traces along the creek there...mostly pedestrians, I think, but a fun, even a little technical trail.  
image.thumb.png.0497b728c5a6784005371c32568729d5.png

"Rocky Madness" 

But don't stop at Abilene. Ride under Abilene (the trail drops into the creek bed) and continue to ride more challenging trail up to Escarpment. Turn left to go south on Escarpment's sidewalk. You only cross two side streets until you can get back on" ...the size of Abilene", to go under Escarpment and on to Drip Drop.

• Like 2

This has probably been discussed and I missed it. I rode out to Slaughter Creek Preserve this weekend, and took the short cut through from going west along Slaughter to 1826. Someone keeps trying to block passage right at 1826. The last time I was out that way before this weekend, the barrier was about 6' high with barbed wire. This time, that barrier had been knocked down a bit, but it was easier to take the line that has developed around it. What's the story with that, is it private land?

That old road is on the storage place's land. THEY don't have a problem with mountain bikers using their land. But, the theory is, one of those landowners to the south of that land DOES have a problem with it. Maybe it's because trash from parties washes down into their ponds. A guy that lives one parcel over, to the south, doesn't know who it is. HE likes the mountain bikers. He actually mows the 1826 single track because he likes to see us ride past. 

But there won't be any more discussions with the storage place folks. I'm sure they will eventually decide that it's not worth a feud with their neighbors over it and just tell us to stop. But I've given up on using it anyway. I now go past the storage place going up Slaughter Lane and turn left past the water tank. A little more climb but also a little more down hill zooming once on the 1826 single track.

Edited by The Tip
  • Like 3

Yes, it's on that trail, "Fenceline." But the actual "13 Jumps" segment is all between your bottom arrow (the highest point on the trail) and the "m" on "Intermediate Trail." The blue line that goes between the "e" and the "r" of Intermediate is Two Cones Road, a jeep track. After the last jump (actually the one I'm going off in the picture) you can turn left to ride the jeep road for 75 yards and then turn left to go up that black line pictured. That is Cardosa's Climb. I don't know why it is black, it actually is a very easy blue, and blue only because of the climb involved. Turn left on the not pictured short cut back to Fenceline to repeat the jump line. 

Edited to say, a picture is worth a thousand words:

https://www.strava.com/segments/27442820

Edited by The Tip
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...

For you non-Facebook folks, here's some news. There is now a trail that goes from LaCrosse, close to the Veloway parking lot, to the north end of House Fire, utilizing a tunnel that goes under Mopac. You can now ride dirt, avoid cars on the street, and avoid the lights at Mopac and LaCrosse, to get to that point.

https://www.strava.com/segments/27803515?filter=overall

There are six tunnels side by side that go 150 yards under Mopac. Use the third tunnel from the north end. It has been cleaned up. The north half of that third tunnel is dirt/mud/rock free. 

The first tunnel was initially cleaned up to be used but the big rain event messed it up. That third tunnel was relatively clean after the rain event so I'm hoping that further rain events will just make it more clean. Any mud and rock that was on the north half of that tunnel was scraped to the south half of the tunnel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

😄

Well yes and no. At the time of your riding it, the FIRST tunnel was clean. If you had ridden that one your bike wouldn't have looked like it wrestled John Candy in "Stripes."

But, being the path finder that you are, your basic instinct (spidery sense?) proved to be correct. You chose the same tunnel that nature chose to keep the most clear. Nature just needed some help in fine tuning it. (shovel and squeegee!)