IGNORED

South Austin Trail Network, The SATN

The Tip

On 8/23/2018 at 7:51 AM, Hakalugi said:

Tip - MapMyRide and ridewithgps.com are excellent ways to create routes from scratch. They won't have many of the Southie/SATN trails since they're not on Google Maps but you can manually create them, but that takes time to draw out. Dropping a GPX ride file into these types of programs provides more detail upfront w/ less editing on the back end. Let's sync-up and I'll show you.

Nerd.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Getting to Mary Moore Searight; There is a housing development between Slaughter Creek Drive and Bilbrook. Formerly the way to get from Slaughter Creek Drive to Bilbrook was to ride up onto the water retention pond's berm and follow that all the way around until it hit the sidewalk behind the houses. Then the sidewalk between the houses, then sidewalk in front of houses, past the swinging gate thing that is always closed, onto to Bilbrook.

There is a better alternate, LESS OBTRUSIVE TO THE HOMEOWNERS, way now. When riding across the field from Slaughter Creek Drive, don't go up onto the berm, stay below it at it's base, out of sight (sort of) of the houses on the other side of the pond. Just as the berm is turning to the left, look to your right. There is an opening in the tree line. That single track through the forest will take you to Bilbrook. All out of sight of the houses. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, The Tip said:

Getting to Mary Moore Searight; There is a housing development between Slaughter Creek Drive and Bilbrook. Formerly the way to get from Slaughter Creek Drive to Bilbrook was to ride up onto the water retention pond's berm and follow that all the way around until it hit the sidewalk behind the houses. Then the sidewalk between the houses, then sidewalk in front of houses, past the swinging gate thing that is always closed, onto to Bilbrook.

There is a better alternate, LESS OBTRUSIVE TO THE HOMEOWNERS, way now. When riding across the field from Slaughter Creek Drive, don't go up onto the berm, stay below it at it's base, out of sight (sort of) of the houses on the other side of the pond. Just as the berm is turning to the left, look to your right. There is an opening in the tree line. That single track through the forest will take you to Bilbrook. All out of sight of the houses. 

Ah... I think we've ridden past the eastern 'exit' of this and I'd wondered where the western end was. 

Thanks, going to give this a try next time we're out that way.  

2 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

Can someone clarify for me- where are horses allowed in the area? I know Slaughter Creek Nature Preserve is horse-friendly, but what about Circle C Metro and the other stuff along Slaughter Creek?

Go to this trail map - https://austin.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=c069f13f4f1a4260b8694a2cb30b5880

Scroll around until you find the trail you want to know about. NOTE - Only PARD recognized trails are shown.

Right click on the trail you are interested it. A dialog will open that shows what activities are recognized as legal for that trail.

On 8/28/2018 at 2:10 PM, mack_turtle said:

Can someone clarify for me- where are horses allowed in the area? I know Slaughter Creek Nature Preserve is horse-friendly, but what about Circle C Metro and the other stuff along Slaughter Creek?

17884127_1508682892483920_34172390263995

Pretty definitive answer to at least part of your question. This is at the entrance to Circle C Metro park. The park goes all the way east to Mopac. So if you see the girl on the horse I think it would be very acceptable to say, "Do you know horses aren't allowed in this park? There's a sign over there that says that."  I would assume that rule applies to the Veloway trails east of Mopac too.

8 minutes ago, The Tip said:

17884127_1508682892483920_34172390263995

Pretty definitive answer to at least part of your question. This is at the entrance to Circle C Metro park. The park goes all the way east to Mopac. So if you see the girl on the horse I think it would be very acceptable to say, "Do you know horses aren't allowed in this park? There's a sign over there that says that."  I would assume that rule applies to the Veloway trails east of Mopac too.

I thought I remembered seeing that. She had parked her trailer behind Burger Fi. I called 311 and they transfered me to 911.

Weshould all make an effort to start bombarding 311 with calls about horses and off-leash dogs and maybe things will change. SW Austin really needs an off-leash dog park too!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I drove down 1826 last night in my car. The grass on the side of the road was really high. I am assuming that the single track there is closing to being obscured. It is going to need a weed eater though. But it's only two miles from the Slaughter Creek Trail entrance to the end of 45. :classic_tongue:

Machete work? I don't know where to send you. I don't know because I haven't been on the trails for friggin three weeks!!!!

Edited by The Tip