IGNORED

South Austin Trail Network, The SATN

The Tip

This is the map of the route that I did on Tuesday for trail work.  Where I've encircled in that photo, there is a need for a chainsaw to move these trees.  They aren't blocking the trail, but they are damn close.  Going further thru there heading south, there is some chainsaw work needed, too.  I've attached two photos to see what I'm talking about...

We're going to try a ride on the normal Texas Cycle Werks ride tonight at 6.  Weather looks good, just hope the trails are ready.  I was out yesterday for 15 minutes and it was a sloppy mess.  Hope the sun has made a positive impact today.  

tree down.png

tree down II.jpg

Edited by 2112Greg
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I met the PARD District Manager for South Austin last night. The first question he asked me when he figured out who I was "Who built the trail behind the Circle C houses?" He 'reminded me' that any trail building is supposed to have permission from PARD or the land manager. I told him that some of us are building trails after we get permission but not everybody follows that method. And when it takes 5 years to get permission like it did for the main trail of the BCGB, I can understand why they feel that way.

After working that out, we had a pretty good conversation. And surprisingly, the permission for maintaining the BCGB trail was emailed to me last night, Yes - the permission I have been working on since 2013.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wife and kids left me for the afternoon. I threatened to go walk the trail to see how bad it was. But I found this bottle of whiskey and...

I did stomp around in the yard pretending to know what I was doing pruning bushes. It didn't seem as bad as it should have been with the rain. Fingers crossed for Tuesday.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you who don't do Facebook  https://www.facebook.com/theSATN/      here's a VCT notice:

The Violet Crown construction folks are working to put down Stalok and Stabilizer over the weekend between Slaughter Creek (at Boulder Crossing) and Slaughter Lane (Walgreens). This will result in periodic trail closures as necessary to put down and roll finished product from now until mid to late January.

They are working to allow as much access as possible throughout these different construction phases but we will have to periodically close segments throughout the Slaughter Creek trail to protect their work and trail users throughout the next month. Please do not ride on newly installed trail.

The new Slaughter Lane car bridge has a nice sidewalk now open that will allow a detour from this under construction portion of our trail.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Everything that I have ridden in the last two days has been fine EXCEPT for Phoenix North (the school side) and Phoenix South. Both of them were sink down into the mud muddy on their west ends. Digo's Shortcut, the trail that runs along the houses through the Hielscher Greenbelt, was fine.

I would say trail conditions are beyond fine. They are hero KOM dirt right now.  Get out there!

• Like 1

Someone has pulled up a little clump of rocks, if you’re heading down SP Slalom Run and take a left before the creek, after the little root step just after the turn. Couldn’t see any that had obviously been uprooted to put them back. Don’t remember them being particularly terrifying either.

On 10/17/2018 at 3:45 PM, cxagent said:

I am going to have to use that one. Thanks mack_turtle!

I have used that with the city..  I never use the term "build trails". Instead I use rehabilitate trails. We never cut down trees, we limb them, which also happens to be good for fire safety.

We dont open up the tree canopy because we like the shade.

• Like 1

The thread where everyone is saying they don't do Facebook motivated me to post here what is on the SATN Facebook page. 

Some general information gleaned from Strava ride observations and discussions with riders:
-There are now four downhill runs in the Meridian Bowl, behind Bear Lake. If you have not discovered this area you are missing a treat.
-When heading for Mary Moore Searight from the railroad trail, you cross Slaughter Creek Drive and come to the big field with the water retention pond. There is now a better way to get to Bilbrook instead of going on top of the berm and then between the houses. Watch to your right for a trail that enters the woods, AWAY from the people's houses. We can be less intrusive by going that way. AND it's more interesting single track too.
-Also, as you head to Mary Moore from Bauerle, just east of the Manchaca bridge, there are TWO loops. The Canterbury Loop and the Innner Canterbury Loop. The Inner Canterbury Loop is less used, but it is WAY more fun. Seek it out.
-There is over three miles of fun single track between William Cannon (north of the car wash and Culvers) and the sidewalk on Brodie. A lot of people are missing some fun stuff by being in a "hurry" to get through that section. Explore a little in there and you will be rewarded.
-There are three distinct trails in the Hielscher Tract Greenbelt (between LaCrosse and Spruce Canyon). The most southern trail, Digo's Shortcut, runs right next to the houses. It recovers the quickest after rain events. The middle trail, Phoenix South, on the south side of the small creek bed, is next to be dry enough to ride. The last, Phoenix North, is the slowest to recover. It runs on the north bank, the side the elementary school is on.

Lots of information. Hopefully you can use it.

• Like 4