IGNORED

South Austin Trail Network, The SATN

The Tip

• 2 weeks later...

Put in 10 miles at Mary Moore Searight today. Hardly any mud problems at all. Slick rocks were the only challenge. 

I had never ridden over there soon after a rain event. I was super surprised how good it was.

Slaughter Creek was too high to cross anywhere, including the dam, without getting feet wet. Not a big deal, but the south bank of Slaughter Creek does have some fun stuff.

• Like 2

Tonight's Crank and Drank is on. About a 12-13 mile route has been scouted and cleared. Yes, your bike will get dirty, but it won't get caked up. That is if you manage to not hit the muddy spots that can be avoided.

Don't be fooled though in to just going for a ride out somewhere. Most of the SATN is still out of business.

I remember the last time you said it was a little wet. I fell in the creek and got lost in that muck behind the school. Sounds like a perfect job for the expendable bike! Which is convenient since the shop still has my main. I'll be there if I can get some pedals on and debug whatever issues the backup has before then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, larlev said:

Do you guys by chance have any strava routes for this Meridian area

I have a few rides on Strava there lately.  With recent additions, you'd want to have the most recent stuff.  My rides are private, so if you look for me there, search for Greg Stevens - Texas Cycle Werks and you'll see what's going on down there.  Some great stuff...

• Thanks 1

YW.

The most recent ride with did with Crank and Drank took the group thru some of the Meridian section.  The four trails in the'bowl' are Rim Shot, Sky Lift, Four Ledges and the latest is Tommy's Tribute Trail.  Other trails of note in that area is School Days (Daze? I can't remember) and then there are four new-ish sections along Escarpment that start right at where Escarpment ends/begins.  There is some construction in the area which has forced some recent changes and there are some other trails that go around Bear Lake, too.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rim Shot, Bowling for Glory, Tommy's Tribute Trail, and Four Ledges are the downhill runs in the Meridian Bowl. Ski Lift is the jeep road that you ride up to access them. One of the Bowie mountain bike team members said he did 16 runs during their practice there a couple of weeks ago. Impressive.

School Daze runs from the end of the 45 stuff, at 1826, down to the Meridian bowl.

Avana Escape is the name of the complete run of the four named sections (separated by streets or sidewalk that have to be crossed) along Escarpment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/8/2019 at 1:43 PM, The Tip said:

Tonight's Crank and Drank is on. About a 12-13 mile route has been scouted and cleared. Yes, your bike will get dirty, but it won't get caked up. That is if you manage to not hit the muddy spots that can be avoided.

Don't be fooled though in to just going for a ride out somewhere. Most of the SATN is still out of business.

Was last nights ride mainly the south of 45?  Do you think Digo’s short cut is dry enough to use?  I want to ride tomorrow and looking for advice. Gracias. 

We went north. The Valero Loop was just fine. And you're looking at two more days of drying before your ride tomorrow.

Coyote Loop, Circle C, and the Veloway trails have been reported to be fine. 45 stuff still some problems but doable. No reports on Digo's Shortcut, but the puddles that do form there don't make using it impossible. No reports about south of 45 yet.

I was pleased to see that the weather folks have said that the rain we are to get on Friday will only be 1/3"  Shouldn't set us back too much

Edited by The Tip

On the Texas Cycle Werks ride last night, we did the route that's in picture below.  No trouble spots except for a little mush on Drip Drop and on Drop, please take the bypass that cuts that right hander which is still got a lot of standing water.  Things were slick in a few places, but overall it was great...hope the rain holds off tonight.  

TCW RIde Last Night.jpg

• Like 3

Well, if you feel up to it, come join us for Crank and Drank on Tuesdays and the Texas Cycle Werks ride on Thursdays.  Both rides are wheels down at 6.  

CnD leaves from behind ATX Bikes on Slaughter and the TCW ride leaves from the shop on 290 at Monterey Oaks.  

• Like 1