IGNORED

South Austin Trail Network, The SATN

The Tip

Yeah, I've been starting most of my rides even before 8am to avoid the ridiculous heat.  Humidity can sometimes supremely suck those first few hours, though!  I'd be glad to join you at 8am.  Would be fun to ride many of the trails out there I haven't seen in a while (and probably stuff I've never seen at all).

..Al

21 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

In case anyone is reading this, I could meet some folks at 8 a.m. at Dick Nichols. PM me if interested.

If you follow The Tip on Strava, he laid out some pretty solid routes for the SATN Social. Let me know what parts of the routes are unfamiliar to you and we'll try to ride those routes. 

What's his Strava profile?

Where do you all fill your water bottles/bladders on the SATN?

I see a water fountain by the pool at Bauerle Ranch park on Google street view. Any other public water fountains near the trail? I can't seem to find anything on the Austin parks website.

Dick Nichols has water and toilets. Also water/ toilets near the playground and soccer field bathrooms at Circle C soccer fields.

There's swimming pool and playground on Wolftrap that has a water fountain and one at the main entrance to the Veloway.

I think there's one in Longview Park.

Sunset Valley trailhead behind their city hall on Jones had one too last time I checked.

There will likely be one at the VCT trailhead at MOPAC/ SH45, but I didn't see anything the last time I rode through there.

You can also stop in any of the fast food restaurants or convenience stores on the way and probably fill up but I would not do that solo if you have to leave your bike outside.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 2

As an unrelated side note, thanks to mack turtle for providing a great tour of the southie trails yesterday. We did about 18 miles and hit a bunch of stuff I have never ridden before. There is a ton of stuff down there, I need to ride it more often because I was totally lost - I know I had ridden parts of it in the past, but really had no idea how it all fits together.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AustinBike said:

As an unrelated side note, thanks to mack turtle for providing a great tour of the southie trails yesterday. We did about 18 miles and hit a bunch of stuff I have never ridden before. There is a ton of stuff down there, I need to ride it more often because I was totally lost - I know I had ridden parts of it in the past, but really had no idea how it all fits together.

Welcome to the club. Every time I get to ride the SATN there is more and more and more. I'm hearing rumors of ~90 miles of trail (including some roads to connect them). Not much technical but fun trail none the less.

1 hour ago, AustinBike said:

Yes, thank you mack_turtle for the tour!  Saw lots of new trail I had never ridden before, and it's just incredible how much trail is down there and how interconnected everything is.  There's no way I'd be able to follow that same route without making a ton of wrong turns and backtracking.  I need to make an effort to get down there more often for group rides, as that's the only way I'm really going to learn the trails. 

..Al

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Albert said:

I need to make an effort to get down there more often for group rides, as that's the only way I'm really going to learn the trails. 

For me, group rides don't help me learn the trail. I have to get lost, make wrong turns, back track etc. Otherwise I just follow the group and learn very little.

But other people may learn trails easier than I do.

The group rides certainly help, as I otherwise don't have a general sense of what trails people are riding or what they are called.  It is true that when following others it's easier to forget where to turn if you later go back by yourself, which is why riding them several times with others helps.  I have learned some trails down there on my own, but in some areas where there are many trail intersections it becomes more confusing. 

..Al

30 minutes ago, RidingAgain said:

Thanks, Albert.

18 miles and there was still so much more trail around that specific area (west and south west of Dick Nichols area) to ride.

Some of my favorite SATN trail is directly west of Dick Nichols, on the west side of Beckett Road.

I've ridden some of the trails west and south of Dick Nichols, but I don't know the area very well.  I wonder how much mileage total there is in the SATN network of trails.  🙂

..Al

Maybe we go ride it one day. I'm not big on larger group rides... But two or three is fine.

And I'm thinking there's another 4+ miles in the area west of Beckett... And then there's 5+ miles at Slaughter Creek... And maybe another 4+ miles just in the Circle C area behind ATX and west of Mopac all the way to 1826. That adds another maybe 13+ miles to the 18 on the Strava map, just in that Dick Nichols/Circle C area.

Edited by RidingAgain
  • Like 1