IGNORED

South Austin Trail Network, The SATN

The Tip

Using Trailforks would be nice if you can load custom courses into it.  I have a handlebar mount that works with my huge iPhone 8 Plus, so it would be much easier to see the route compared to the small 520+ screen.  As long as I don't crash and slam my phone into some rocks. 😄

..Al

A bit off-topic: how useful are modern GPS computers for navigating trails? I have a GPS watch, but it's only useful for mapping where I have been, not where I want to go. Could I load a trail route on one and use it to follow a specific route? I could do that with my phone but I don't want a $800 phone strapped to my handlebar, and pulling it out of my pockets every five minutes is a PITA.

Clearly I am not cutting edge!

Edited by mack_turtle

2 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

A bit off-topic: how useful are modern GPS computers for navigating trails? I have a GPS watch, but it's only useful for mapping where I have been, not where I want to go. Could I load a trail route on one and use it to follow a specific route? I could do that with my phone but I don't want a $800 phone strapped to my handlebar, and pulling it out of my pockets every five minutes is a PITA.

Clearly I am not cutting edge!

I haven't tried it yet but my Garmin Instinct ($300) will let you enter a breadcrumb trail to follow as you go.  I know the higher end Fenix's add being able to show a route on an actual map as well but those start around $600.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Albert said:

Well, courses.  I haven't tried loading maps into it, either, but I care less about those.

..Al

The 520+ has built-in mapping - enough to get you around anywhere in the US. It also has off-course warning technology. So what you have to do, is to tell it what you are riding, so it can tell you if you're on course or not. Install Garmin Connect on both your (modern) laptop and your phone. Connect the phone to the 520+. Use Connect on the computer to to add the GPX course you want to ride. Sync the phone to the Garmin.

Do not attempt ANY of the above using an Atari 2600 or lower.

Just now, TAF said:

The 520+ has built-in mapping - enough to get you around anywhere in the US. It also has off-course warning technology. So what you have to do, is to tell it what you are riding, so it can tell you if you're on course or not. Install Garmin Connect on both your (modern) laptop and your phone. Connect the phone to the 520+. Use Connect on the computer to to add the GPX course you want to ride. Sync the phone to the Garmin.

Thanks, I will try that! 

Just now, TAF said:

Do not attempt ANY of the above using an Atari 2600 or lower.

Too late!  And I'll have you know that many of our 2600 game cartridges have an ARM processor in them now!  😉

..Al

• Like 1

Maybe this is somewhere in the previous 16 pages, so I apologize if this has already been covered.

Is there a single map with all of trails and their names?  (Obviously, I don't mean the gray-area trails.)

I know Strava lists the segments you have ridden, but I'd like to see a map where I can see everything at once.

20 minutes ago, druber said:

Is there a single map with all of trails and their names?  (Obviously, I don't mean the gray-area trails.)

No. But this is pretty close.

A few people have done very long, single rides and posted them on Strava. Study any of those, or the three routes that Tip posted in the SATN Social thread that those about cover it. Throw in Mary Moore Seawright too.

Edited by mack_turtle

1 hour ago, druber said:

Maybe this is somewhere in the previous 16 pages, so I apologize if this has already been covered.

I know Strava lists the segments you have ridden, but I'd like to see a map where I can see everything at once.

Druber,  here is Barry's Strava route from last year were he road 90+ mile os SATN.  

This is indeed how I put together my All the Southie ride earlier this year. I had 5 or 6 different routes saved for the different areas, and I just kept loading new routes all day. And since then so much has already been added!

KVUE did a story on a large homeless camp in Mary Moore Searight:

https://www.kvue.com/video/news/local/homeless-camp-in-south-austin-park-concerning-residents/269-b99aa1e1-fd1d-47c2-b9be-6239a952c383

Does anyone know where in the park it is? I know there was a big camp between the south bank of Slaughter Creek and Old San Antonio Rd, but that was cleaned up and fenced off. I guess all those folks moved. I've also seen activity close to one of the south 1st bridges, but nothing huge like the story shows.

On 9/28/2019 at 11:46 AM, The Tip said:

No reason not to, unless you are a techtard like I am. That would be cool if they were on there.

I've submitted the routes into TrailForks and posted the links to each route in the Event thread for the SATN Social.

If folks who use TrailForks will click the links in that thread and then select "confirm" for each route that will speed up the approval for public viewing.

Edit: The TF routes have been approved and made live. A search on TF for SATN Social will show them.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

Ok, this sucks.

Going through all the preparations for a ride. Camelback full with ice and water, Gatorade backup bottle frozen to a perfect level, tires up to pressure, bike loaded in the car. Go back inside to put shoes on, come out to the car and... it's raining! Coming down pretty good right now too. NOT happy!

yeah yeah, sure," we need the rain." Screw you! this sucks! 😉

It’s coming from South to North so gas up the chopper and head North down Mopac and shred Brushy. If that’s too wet and you’re feeling chippy, head to Cameron park and play in the bamboo forest and vulture crap. Ride and report back to us suckers riding a desk this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk