IGNORED

South Austin Trail Network, The SATN

The Tip

47 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

how does the HOA feel about these trails? if we volunteer to keep them clean, it would reflect well on the users. on the other hand, drawing any attention to the area might have bad results.

The more people you ask, the more pushback you'll get. I say just do it. A quiet word with Street & Bridge may well assist in getting a location to drop it all off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mack_turtle said:

What kind of trash are you finding back there? Any way to tell if it's an accumulation of individual items, or does it look like it was dumped all at once? trash accumulates where people experiencing homelessness camp, but I would be really surprised if anyone was camping that far away from public toilets, panhandling spots, etc. it's too far away from commercial development to be a good camping spot. there's a lot of construction in the area, and getting ride of construction waste (including soda bottles that workers were drinking and all that) is difficult, so they might be dumping. residents dumping there doesn't make any sense because they should all have municipal trash pickup. hikers might drop something. riders don't carry enough around with them that they would dump it in any amount that would accumulate.

how does the HOA feel about these trails? if we volunteer to keep them clean, it would reflect well on the users. on the other hand, drawing any attention to the area might have bad results.

144731270_10224151439915838_3813470827567710529_o.thumb.jpg.10645aa7c6b21638f55da3dac67d8121.jpg145106449_10109891542810807_3796320299498832483_n.thumb.jpg.f4eb5c4c13a075f30c41c46bfef7b451.jpg

Here's some pics neighbors took.  Looks like many items are from bulk pickup that we just had in the 'hood.  The consensus on the neighborhood page is leaning to a teen hangout.  That was my original guess as I agree it's too far away from anything commercial for a homeless encampment.  Teens have probably been hanging out there then saw the opportunity to add some furniture during bulk pickup.  A neighbor is contacting the HOA to see if they'll get it removed (it is Circle C HOA land).  If not, neighbors are already planning on removing it themselves.  Guess the kids should have built a more natural hangout spot.

• Like 1

agreed. no one sets up "home" like that. I was expecting a pile of beer cans and plastic bags. that's kids hanging out in the woods. I don't think the furniture back there is a big deal, but smaller bits of trash that end up in the surface water one way or another is problem. still, it draws negative attention to the trails.

Edited by mack_turtle

5 minutes ago, Charlie193 said:

Does anyone in the Circle C area know if it’s still dry? Radar shows rain, but it’s telling lies for my neighborhood (Davis & West Gate) where it’s dry so far.

It rained, but not for more than 10 mins.  Sun is coming out now so I imagine we are good to go. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, possibleusername said:

I'm thinking of getting out this afternoon for my first ride on these trails. There's a ton to choose from on Trailforks, any recos for a good 10-15 mile loop would be appreciated. I know these trails are different, but I usually ride Travis Country in the greenbelt. I like tech, features, speed, etc. Thanks in advance.

easy start is to park next to ATX Bikes and find the singletrack leading toward the woods behind the store. you'll cross a gravel path. when you find Slaughter Creek (which is dry most of the time, including now), head east or west and just hug the creek. you'll pass under Escarpment if you head west, then through Circle C Metro Park. There's a fair amount of chunk west of Escarpment. eventually, you'll hit the eastern boundary of Slaughter Creek preserve and need to turn back on another trail on the other side of the park.

going east will take you under MOPAC toward the Veloway. There are a bunch of trail options over there. if you follow the creek and surrounding trails long enough, you'll end up in a residential neighborhood where Bowie high school is. that's a good place to turn back and find more trails. easily a 10-15 mile route can be found in there.

of course that's just The Tip (haha) but it's a good start.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Stay tuned for a separate post on trash pickup efforts. The Tip will be discussing the matter with officialdom, and we will also figure out a Google map with pins and maybe pictures of the affected locations. Anyone know how to set that up?

• Like 2

I'll check it out. I will also contact the HOA's trails committee chairman to get in front of this.

Whoever is doing this needs to stop. This whole jewel of an area could very easily be shut down to us. "Follow the rules or lose it" is illustrated very well here.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Tip said:

I'll check it out. I will also contact the HOA's trails committee chairman to get in front of this.

Whoever is doing this needs to stop. This whole jewel of an area could very easily be shut down to us. "Follow the rules or lose it" is illustrated very well here.

My feeling is that it's neighborhood kids?  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

Also, someone put some big rocks in front of the exit of the Jeep road onto the street. Looks like hoa is drawing a line.

yeah, went through there yesterday.  It is kind of funny, it started with a few boulders, the trail moves around them, more boulders show up, trail moves, now fully blocked except the middle boulder is easily rolled over.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CrownKing said:

yeah, went through there yesterday.  It is kind of funny, it started with a few boulders, the trail moves around them, more boulders show up, trail moves, now fully blocked except the middle boulder is easily rolled over.  

I've started to wonder if the boulders are meant more for ATVs or ORVs than MTBs.  There is a history in the area between Meridian & Avana with motorized usage though it seems to have dwindled a bit with the new sections of Avana being built.

• Like 1