IGNORED

Gravel bike tires?

Andrzej

So......I’ve got an extra wheel set for my karate monkey that I’d like to put some gravel bike tires on. Looking to set it up to ride some road, town lake gravel trails and some single track. I’m thinking 700c x 40? Currently looking at Maxxis Rambler or WTB Riddler. I have no experience with gravel bikes. Thoughts on tires?

Panaracer Gravelking SK!

Nanos are a good choice. If it matters at all, a bike that is designed for 2.4"+ tires looks weird with skinnies.

I rode my old Soma Juice at Chainring Massacre with 29x2.1 Schwalbe Thunder Burt's and those were great.

You can't go wrong with the WTB tires mentioned either.

Guitar Ted's reviews are quite thorough https://www.ridinggravel.com/author/guitarted/

Panaracer gravel king sk’s. 

There’s a reason 6/10 bikes at gravel events run these tires. They’re as good as it gets. 700x43 is what I run, but with nearly 2 thousand miles on these in the last 9 months I’m eyeing my next set which I may spring for the 700x50. 

2 minutes ago, TheX said:

I think the choice might be different, depend on whether you're putting smaller tires on a MTB bike, or wider tires on a road bike.

True I did run a set of 40C Smart Sams on my El Mariachi for the LBJ 100 and holey roller a couple years back and it did work well but looked goofy as hell. 

I think the Gravel Kings are very suited for our central Texas gravel; and another option - now that they are tubeless ready - would be Teravail Cannonballs. Either way, you want to be running tubeless out in the boonies - those cattle grid crossings will give your tubes a pinch flat in no time.