IGNORED

Flats... Wow...

So yesterday I put on a set of proper flat pedals with the studs. I took it for a quick ride wearing my Walmart work boots... Wow... Those studs really hold the sole. Not sure if it's the type of rubber compound on the Walmart work boots (kind of a soft rubber) but I was quite surprised that I had to consciously lift my foot up to get off the pedal. Now I'm really interested to see how mtb specific shoes feel.

1 hour ago, AntonioGG said:

That was my exact reaction as well with MTB specific shoes.  I had to think more about taking my feet off the pedals with flats than I do with my SPDs.

I know you've spoken about it before, but remind me... Did you stick with flats or are you back to SPDs?

15 minutes ago, RidingAgain said:

I know you've spoken about it before, but remind me... Did you stick with flats or are you back to SPDs?

I only got flats for practicing things like wheelies, manuals, and other such things.  I don't plan on riding them on trails.  I still ride SPDs on the trail and I don't go down any tricky stuff unless I'm fully clipped in.  I may get a cheap dirtjumper, or trials bike, or BMX bike to do all the practicing.  I don't see myself changing pedals that often.

• Like 1

You might find that the cheapie shoes you're on now won't last long. The pedals grip just enough that the rubber will rip rather than slip. This is why people pay top dollar for shoes like Five Tens. Most sneakers shred to ribbons after a few rides.

I have been on some Issi plastic pedals for a few weeks. They feel fantastic!

5 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

You might find that the cheapie shoes you're on now won't last long. The pedals grip just enough that the rubber will rip rather than slip. This is why people pay top dollar for shoes like Five Tens. Most sneakers shred to ribbons after a few rides.

I have been on some Issi plastic pedals for a few weeks. They feel fantastic!

I've got a set of five tens and some pedals with studs.  I can't imagine even the five tens lasting that long.

2 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

I've got a set of five tens and some pedals with studs.  I can't imagine even the five tens lasting that long.

I somehow found a pair of Freeriders at a thrift store, used, for under ten bucks. I've been riding them consistently for over a year and they have a few chunks taken out. I'll get another year out of them.

Previously I bought some Giro Jackets and they lasted about ten rides and just disintegrated.

• Like 1

I run DMR Vaults with Ride concepts Livewires. I really like the Livewires and they're holding up well. They fit really good and are super comfortable. Was on Freerider VXI's but needed something to replace my freeriders and decided not to go with 5-10 due to too many reports of the newer Addidas ones not being as durable as the pre Addidas era and the fact that they cost somewhere around $150. Got the Ride Concepts from Jenson with a 20% off coupon, only cost $80 delivered.

• Like 2

I have been riding flats again. Using VP Harrier  pedals because I have huge feet and these have some of the biggest contact patch. Five Ten Freeriders for me as well. Have tried almost every iteration of 510’s and these have the best pedal feel (IMHO). 510’s have been going downhill in quality well before the adidas thing but their rubber is perfect. It wears down but just has such awesome grip. I am limited in shoe choices as not many brands make larger shoes. Would love to try Ride Concepts or some of the other new shoe companies, but they generally stop at size 13. 

I switch between clips and flats but really enjoy the flats. Clips make me faster, I can handle rocks gardens more fluidly and the ability to fully control the rear wheel in awkward situations is a great advantage. Flats are just so fun and bring out the hooligan riding style. Brings me back to the beginnings of learning how to ride and figuring out bunnyhops. More of a fun skateboard feel.

• Like 1

This seems to contradict the common thought... That flats will make you more confident riding through things like rock gardens. I have really only considered flats because of wanting to have a quicker way to get my feet off the pedals when attempting more difficult sections of trail... Especially things like more gnarly rock gardens and uphill ledges.

uphill ledges and slow tech is where flat shine for me. I charge at that stuff with way more confidence now because I know how much easier it is to bail. I've fallen backwards off ledges a few times during my decade of riding clipped in with disastrous results. it doesn't happen any more.

that said, I need to try the clipless again to see how it compares. I ride my CX bike on un-gnarly terrain clipped in, but that's a different animal.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 3

If we're going to go into sock mode, I'm going to throw a couple of contenders.  Rule #1 with socks, don't think about how much they cost.  Think about how a crappy pair of socks can ruin your ride and render all the other money you spent on the bike, etc. a complete waste.  I used to think that expensive socks were stupid but now I'm older and wiser and recognize that you put your money where it matters.  Socks matter.  Seats matter.  Valve stems?  Maybe not so much.

Smartwool - These are great in all conditions.  The wool pulls the sweat from your feet in the summer and keeps them warm in the winter.  My only beef is that they really like to pick up that beggars lice and stickers and once they start to fall apart, they're toast.  

Darn tough - I love these like Smartwool but they don't seem to have as big of a problem with stickers.

Drymaxx - These are my wife's favorite (trail runner).  These are dual layer where the inner layer is hydrophobic.  Again, keeps your feet dry.

• Like 2