IGNORED

Best ways to support local bike shops right now

21 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

I have something in mind I'd like to order. Will call ATX Bikes this week to see if they can get it for me and pick it up with minimal touching.

There's a page where you can tip your local out-of-work bartender as well. Waiting to send some money to The Tavern in a few days.

When we picked up our groceries at HEB we had a check in our car in an envelope all filled out with the name blank. If you are picking up something it is a way to provide a tip easily without having to get into the contact phase. I was stunned at how many people were getting out of their cars when picking up groceries, even after the text they receive specifically says do not get out. We also ordered 3 bottles of wine from a local restaurant and left a big fat tip on it. These guys are struggling and anything I can do to move money out of inventory and into their pockets is a good thing.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Dawn said:

which restaurant did you buy wine from? did you also get food from this restaurant?

Hyde Park Bar and Grill.

While it is more expensive than going to HEB or Specs, it helps put money in the pockets of people that really need it. My neighbor is the owner. She was very grateful and offered to bring me an order of fries with my wine but I passed. Right now we're on extreme lockdown because I am still facing surgery (eventually) and if my slot opens up, I don't want to be corona boy, so I am keeping clean.

Hyde Park is open for take out food orders. I recommend the reuben and fries HIGHLY. Oh, and get a bottle of wine or some beers. And remember to tip the staff, they are putting it all on the line for you.

• Like 2

I called Peddler Bike Shop in CP on Sunday. They were doing more limited business to avoid too many people coming into the shop, but it seemed like they could accommodate most things if you call ahead. Not sure if this has changed since then.

Also, Redhorn is doing online to-go orders for beer/wine/food.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan said:

I called Peddler Bike Shop in CP on Sunday. They were doing more limited business to avoid too many people coming into the shop, but it seemed like they could accommodate most things if you call ahead. Not sure if this has changed since then.

Whitestone is also doing online for beer and food. They also deliver for something like $6-8.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, throet said:

My wife has been getting margaritas to go along with food from our favorite local Mexican restaurant in Cedar Park, Los Reyes. No straws allowed - so bring your own if you're intending to drink it on the way home. 😂

Thanks I'll keep this in mind. Jardin Corona is doing the same. Let's not get hung up on the name.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Dan said:

Peddler was doing a walk up counter last time I was there. Business was running mostly as usual you just can't go in the shop. 

19 hours ago, AustinBike said:

I miss people. And I am an introvert. 

I was thinking about this as I rode around the 'hood yesterday and saw people walking around everywhere.  I think that one reason we see so many people out in parks and walking around is that they don't want to feel alone.  Not being around other people isn't natural for most.  When you're outside and you see other people, you start to think "...well, at least we're all in this together."  It prevents the onset of phobias and enforces the idea that this is a community problem that will take a community solution.  Interesting case study.  I'm sure there will be more than one paper submitted on this topic if for no other reason that a lot of people are at home in front of computers with nothing to do.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Tree Magnet said:

I was thinking about this as I rode around the 'hood yesterday and saw people walking around everywhere.  I think that one reason we see so many people out in parks and walking around is that they don't want to feel alone.  Not being around other people isn't natural for most.  When you're outside and you see other people, you start to think "...well, at least we're all in this together."  It prevents the onset of phobias and enforces the idea that this is a community problem that will take a community solution.  Interesting case study.  I'm sure there will be more than one paper submitted on this topic if for no other reason that a lot of people are at home in front of computers with nothing to do.

You're spot on.  There are already papers from the SARS  outbreak.  People in China became agoraphobic.  It's good to see a huge increase in the number of people outside.  Hopefully something good comes out of this.

In addition to supporting a local shop, I really wish I could support American manufacturing, especially at this time. but the cost of US-made goods is a really hard pill to swallow. example: I can buy a really nice Asian-made (Taiwan?) rear hub for under $200 full retail (Boyd, Bontrager, Spank, etc). the equivalent domestic made product is over $400 (King, Onyx, Industry 9). I know stuff is made cheap overseas, but I have a hard time justifying the hit to my limited discretionary spending for something I am not convinced is twice as good. I know some of you make a whole lot more money than I do so it's not as big a deal. How do you approach the choice of bang/buck over supporting industries with better labor and environmental practices?

Be real careful on this. It is not just about American companies but companies with American manufacturing. Often it is difficult to discern where the parts actually come from. And then, is it manufacturing in the US or assembly in the US. This will take significantly more research because the rules about "made in the US" are kinda murky. You can claim made in the US if a certain percentage of the assembly is done here. And it is not 51%, it's even lower. The good news is that some companies are really up front about this, but you have to be a real skeptic if you want to do it right. I keep thinking about the episode of Portlandia where they ask about the chicken.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AustinBike said:

I keep thinking about the episode of Portlandia where they ask about the chicken.

I know exactly what you're talking about. One of my favorite skits.

I read someone gushing about how awesome a part was the other day, with lots of emphasis on how it is made in Canada. I read the details on the website and it says "assembled in Canada." Not the same thing. I doubt very many companies get all their parts domestically, but some level of domestic involvement is a step in the right direction.

also, Industry Nine's 1/1 hubs are $290 for the rear and $136 for the front. that's competitive with a lot of foreign-made stuff but made in Asheville. They don't have quite the bling factor of Hydra hubs but they didn't pull any punches with this one.

Edited by mack_turtle