IGNORED

Best ways to support local bike shops right now

2 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

In addition to supporting a local shop, I really wish I could support American manufacturing

We just bought a new washer & dryer, and went with Whirlpool. They plaster an America sticker right on front of the machine, but the small print under it just says "An American Company for over 100 Years". Doesn't say anything about "made in America". Also just bought a new custom made leather sectional from Texas Leather Interiors who purportedly makes all their stuff in America. Will probably take a look at the new Ford Bronco when they finally come out later this year, and I believe they are being built in Wayne, MI.  

• Like 2

Whirlpool is another Michigan company. If you ride the west coast of the state the route will take you right past their headquarters. Fun fact.

But back to supporting your LBS.

First, be patient. They are getting hammered with bikes that have been disused for years because people are treating this like a vacation.

Second don't just go to shop. Be deliberate. They are trying to protect themselves so in a lot of cases are trying to keep people out of the store. If you need something consider calling ahead so they can put it aside, or even take payment, before you arrive. Special orders are a nice bonus right now too. Again call ahead to work out the details. 

Third, stock up now. There is a good chance smaller shops will have to close down because they are going to catch this thing (because they are still dealing with the public), and MOST of them don't have the capital to make it through that. Consider going to a smaller shop, if you like them, that might be farther away or that may not always have what you need (see special orders above-mentioned) because they don't have the resources of some of the larger chain stores.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Big_papa_nuts said:

First, be patient. They are getting hammered with bikes that have been disused for years because people are treating this like a vacation.

this is expected to some extent this time of year, but based on what I have seen while riding around town, there's a LOT more people out on bikes they obviously have not ridden in years.

Just now, mack_turtle said:

this is expected to some extent this time of year, but based on what I have seen while riding around town, there's a LOT more people out on bikes they obviously have not ridden in years.

This type of business has quadrupled since the shelter in place order went into effect.

56 minutes ago, Big_papa_nuts said:

Whirlpool is another Michigan company. If you ride the west coast of the state the route will take you right past their headquarters. Fun fact.

Rode past that on my 10-speed back when I was 16. Unbelievably my parents allowed me and my friends to ride ~100 miles to Michigan to spend the week at a friend's cabin. I don't know how a.) they ever agreed to that or b.) how I survived a century in blue jeans on a 10-speed with zero training.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Big_papa_nuts said:

But back to supporting your LBS.

Second don't just go to shop. Be deliberate. They are trying to protect themselves so in a lot of cases are trying to keep people out of the store. If you need something consider calling ahead so they can put it aside, or even take payment, before you arrive. Special orders are a nice bonus right now too. Again call ahead to work out the details. 

Third, stock up now. There is a good chance smaller shops will have to close down because they are going to catch this thing (because they are still dealing with the public), and MOST of them don't have the capital to make it through that. Consider going to a smaller shop, if you like them, that might be farther away or that may not always have what you need (see special orders above-mentioned) because they don't have the resources of some of the larger chain stores.

I saw that Peddler had moved some of their display counters up against the entrance doors to prevent walk ins. I know this because I went to Redhorn to get some beer😁 they're set up the same way.

2 hours ago, Chief said:

I saw that Peddler had moved some of their display counters up against the entrance doors to prevent walk ins. I know this because I went to Redhorn to get some beer😁 they're set up the same way.

Mmm! 🍺 

• Like 1

You could do what I did. Contact the local bike shop and ask if they need work. If they are slow - take them that project you have 'been meaning to get to' but have not. If they are busy, tell them to contact you if they need work. I can sit on the project a little longer since it has waited for over a year already.

• Like 5

Mixed emotions on this.  On one hand, they need to survive so they're finding new avenues of making money.  On the other, if every shop out there went and bought up these basic supplies and marked them up, there wouldn't be any in the grocery stores for people to buy.  

1 hour ago, Tree Magnet said:

Mixed emotions on this.  On one hand, they need to survive so they're finding new avenues of making money.  On the other, if every shop out there went and bought up these basic supplies and marked them up, there wouldn't be any in the grocery stores for people to buy.  

I'm sure Redhorn is getting these things from one of their distributors, not some local store. Meaning they are actually increasing the availability of these items to locals, and potentially making it safer for people to get them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cafeend said:

image.thumb.png.6b40e3435ebb4aa3916acd885df44b54.png

I think this is going to be the first time I'm volunteering to do the shopping.  35 min ride to thee YMCA, then through the BCRT to SN with my big Osprey commuter pack.  But I'm more likely to use the precious space for a growler instead...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tree Magnet said:

I seriously doubt this will dent the inventory of HEB. I think its pretty cool 

• Like 1

Joe at Monkey Wrench is backed up two weeks on repairs and whatnot.  He's gone to half day (afternoons) M-F, so check the website for updates or call before you head that way. 

He said he's having to de-spider older bikes that come in -- they've been sitting in somebody's garage or shed for five or six years and spiders are coming along for the trip to the bike shop. 

• Like 2

I'm thinking, from what I am seeing out on the trails, that bike shops will thrive from all of this. All the multitudes of hikers on the trails will see the bikes whizzing by and think, "That looks fun. I'm getting a bike."

And all the people on those 20 year old bikes we're seeing will see our new style bikes and think, "Wow, who knew bikes have changed so much. I'm getting one."

The only thing that will hurt bike shops is the same thing that will hurt every business sector. That is that people will hold on to their money due to the uncertainty of the times.

• Like 1

Yeah, I've definitely seen more bikes on the road of the cruiser/hybrid variety in the past few weeks.  Have also had to inform several parents that kids are required to have helmets on - I generally mind my own business but I make an exception for kids without helmets - it can cause life-changing damage and they don't know any better, so it's up to the parents to take responsibility.

I've also been taking my bikes in for needed service I've been putting off to make sure to throw business their way.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tree Magnet said:

https://gov.texas.gov/news/post/governor-abbott-authorizes-restaurants-to-sell-bulk-retail-product-from-distributors-to-the-public

• Like 2

1 hour ago, olddbrider said:

I didn't see liquor listed, unfortunately. In many states, folks are getting their hands on some hard to come by allocated whisky through restaurant sell-offs. I wonder if it is included, but not explicitly stated? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Tip said:

I'm thinking, from what I am seeing out on the trails, that bike shops will thrive from all of this. All the multitudes of hikers on the trails will see the bikes whizzing by and think, "That looks fun. I'm getting a bike."

And all the people on those 20 year old bikes we're seeing will see our new style bikes and think, "Wow, who knew bikes have changed so much. I'm getting one."

The only thing that will hurt bike shops is the same thing that will hurt every business sector. That is that people will hold on to their money due to the uncertainty of the times.

The problem being that bike shop employees, who have no special training or equipment, now have to deal with five hundred percent more customers. I worry for all the shop workers who will catch this thing because people are bored.

• Like 1