IGNORED

Best ways to support local bike shops right now

On 4/5/2020 at 8:52 AM, AustinBike said:

The question is whether the company has immediate access to the cash now or whether it has to hold it in reserve.

If you have to put it in reserve, then the cash is adjusted against the reserve. Again, neither of us is a CPA. I took many semesters of accounting in both high school and college, that is what prompted my immediate question. This is not how the debits and credits work but instead a question of whether reserves need to be made, essentially nullifying the cash.

Let's just see if an actual CPA can answer this.

I am a CPA.  Not a legal requirement to hold the cash as restricted, but definitely a good business practice.    

In the end, actually buying gear or getting services is the best thing but purchase of gift cards can definitely help in the mean time as a cash infusion.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Cafeend said:

I had to stop by Peddlers in CP this AM for help with a project.  I was blown away by the amount of work he has piling up. I counted over 30+ bikes in waiting. But super happy the shop was not dead 

this sounds similar to my lbs that I usually go to, they are so backed up on bikes being serviced that they can not take any more at the moment and you have to set up a time to drop off your bike if work is needed.  I'm personally happy that business is going well for them and hope it continues to do so.

We had a promotion sale on labor at shops I have worked at and things backed up fast. We had to have customers bring their bikes in for diagnostics, write up an estimate, then tell them to bring their bikes back to us on a certain date that was 3-4 weeks out at first. it was nuts.

Edited by mack_turtle

18 hours ago, Cafeend said:

I had to stop by Peddlers in CP this AM for help with a project.  I was blown away by the amount of work he has piling up. I counted over 30+ bikes in waiting. But super happy the shop was not dead 

I saw AJ yesterday while restocking beer from Redhorn. I asked how things were and he said this has been the busiest month he's ever had in fifteen years. That's a good thing hopefully it carries on for a while.

• Like 3

While I’m not the biggest BSS fan, I ordered and paid for some sealant and gloves online from them and swung by the Parmer location on the bike today to pick them up. 

They were incredibly busy, so while things may be slow overall they’re not suffering too much during all of this. People dropping bikes off for tune up. Picking bikes up. Swinging by the buy lube. Swinging by for new gloves and sealant (me). Someone was there picking up a new kids bike and they were test riding in the parking lot. 

Happy to see all that! 

Edited by bestbike85
  • Like 1

I had to get a new Derailleur on my bike after bending it and the hanger.  Southwest CycleSport on Bee Cave said they have never been so busy.  My take from seeing the bikes they are repairing is that every 1980-90 bike sitting in everyones garage is getting fixed now so people can ride them.

Regardless they were pros- knock on door, step back they took the bike on Monday, Wednesday went and picked it up in the reverse method.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2020 at 2:18 PM, cxagent said:

Fred is not human. Please do not compare him to any of us mere humans.

Fred Schmid turned 87 yesterday.  He celebrated by riding 87 miles.  Today he's attempting a 150-mile day because he's training for the Dirty Kanza 200, a gravel event.  The date has been changed from May to September. 

On 3/30/2020 at 12:37 PM, June Bug said:

Fred Schmidt, an 83-year-old mountain bike racer/cyclocross/gravel grinder guy,  knocked out a century yesterday in the Waco area.  

I know this Corona thing has been tough on everyone, but Fred aged 4 years in a month!

All kidding aside, whether he's 84 or 87 this is amazing!

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Go into any sports store or Walmart and look at the empty bike racks. Really amazing.

I would guess that a percentage of the newbies will get hooked and continue to bike. I don't see why not. Not sure if y'all know this or not, but riding a bike is freakin' awesome!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The Tip said:

Go into any sports store or Walmart and look at the empty bike racks. Really amazing.

I would guess that a percentage of the newbies will get hooked and continue to bike. I don't see why not. Not sure if y'all know this or not, but riding a bike is freakin' awesome!

I posted a Phil Gaimon video to the youtibiness thread.  He talks about this and warns us experienced riders.  He makes some really good points.

I expect this difficult situation happening more on the trails: new riders on the side of the trail with broken bikes and not enough water. I really want to stop and help these people, but I also really want them to learn their lesson and be prepared next time. i'll have to take it on a case-by-case, but I'll err on the side of helping them get back on the bike over "tough love." if it's a real dehydration situation, I don't want to see them get hurt.

on that note, can anyone report on the availability of water drinking water at public parks recently? Have they shut off drinking fountains due to the pandemic?

1 minute ago, mack_turtle said:

I expect this difficult situation happening more on the trails: new riders on the side of the trail with broken bikes and not enough water. I really want to stop and help these people, but I also really want them to learn their lesson and be prepared next time. i'll have to take it on a case-by-case, but I'll err on the side of helping them get back on the bike over "tough love." if it's a real dehydration situation, I don't want to see them get hurt.

on that note, can anyone report on the availability of water drinking water at public parks recently? Have they shut off drinking fountains due to the pandemic?

I've re-filled my bottle at the Brushy Creek Sports Park bottle filling station (wish CoA parks had these too) and I've also filled up at the Ladybird trailhead fountains.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

I expect this difficult situation happening more on the trails: new riders on the side of the trail with broken bikes and not enough water. I really want to stop and help these people, but I also really want them to learn their lesson and be prepared next time. i'll have to take it on a case-by-case, but I'll err on the side of helping them get back on the bike over "tough love."

I spent 2 years in upstate NY and took off on my own one day to go hiking in the Adirondacks. Figured I'd burn some energy and get back to Lake Placid for dinner and some craft brew. Had hiking boots and a camera but no provisions - not even water. Had no clue what I was getting into and after about 2 hours of climbing up incredibly steep terrain I realized I was in trouble. Miraculously I ran into these dudes on a ledge. They turned me on to a cold Beck's and some sort of dish mixed up with what I believe were psilocybin mushrooms. Revived and refreshed, I somehow made it back to the car right around dark.  

New York 076 (2017_07_18 13_09_01 UTC).jpg

Edited by throet
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1