IGNORED

What ya watchin? Share your thoughts on Movies, TV, and YouTube!

mack_turtle

Year and Years on HBO. An ordinary English family navigates terrifyingly plausible technological changes, human migration, climate change effects, fascist government takeovers, panoptic surveillance, cultural shifts, etc, in this sci-fi / speculative fiction about the next decade of human history. It is about a year old now and some of the events in it are downright prophetic. We could only watch one episode at a time—only six for the first season. The intro music is enough to give you an ulcer.

The English Game on Netflix. Julien Fellows (Downton Abbey) history-based story of English football in the 1880s.

Strange Negotiations documentary about Pedro the Lion front man David Bazan.  I've been following his music since I was a teenager and he's one of the few musicians I make a point to see live whenever I get the chance. I don't think it's streaming for free anywhere but worth paying a few bucks to download it if the indie music/ gen-x / American Evangelical experience resonates with you.

The Leftovers on HBO. speculative fiction series. three seasons. bingeable. I won't spoil anything, but the subject matter is more relevant now than when it came out a few years ago. 

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 1

If you don't have a streaming service (seems like most people do) or you want another choice, the Austin Public Library uses Hoopla. you can download the app and stream/ download all kinds of stuff, including movies.

First Reformed A rural pastor (Ethan Hawke) fights his personal demons while trying to guide a parishioner's family (Amanda Seyfried) through a climate-change inspired existential crisis. Sounds simple but it gets dark fast. "Courage is the solution to despair. Reason provides no answers. I can't know what the future will bring. We have to chose despite uncertainty. Wisdom is holding two contradictory truths in our mind at the simultaneously: hope and despair. A life without despair is a life without hope. Holding these two ideas in our head is life itself." I have really dark taste in movies apparently. It's available on Hoopla.

Edited by mack_turtle

If you like Stranger Things then watch "Dark" on Netflix. It's in German so go for the overdub, not the subtitles. There is so much going on and the cinematography is so incredible that you don't want to miss anything. I tired to do subtitles thinking I would be picking up a bunch of it anyway and realized how bad my German is. Even with context it was tough because of the situations.

"Look Who's Back" (Er its wieder da) is a good movie on Netflix, keeping with the German theme. Did a little better with matching the dialogue with the subtitles on this one.

Also recommend "Abducted in Plain Sight" on Netflix. Chilling.

And if you just want mindless fun, "The Grand Tour" is a good way to kill time. Sarcasm is not dead.

• Like 2

Tiger King: only a couple of episodes in. Documentary/drama about big cat owners who run private zoos. It’s definitely a train wreck involving a bunch of equally awful people, but I can’t stop watching. On Netflix.

Patriot: dark comedy about a spy trying to prevent nuclear proliferation by taking a job at a Midwestern piping manufacturer. Poor guy can’t catch a break. Really enjoying this on Amazon Prime. 

Curb Your Enthusiasm: Pretty much Seinfeld if it was rated R; starring Larry David. On HBO and Amazon Prime.

Futurama: one of my all time favorites that I put on for background noise or whenever I’m feeling nostalgic. Pizza delivery boy accidentally frozen in cryogenic storage for 1000 years wakes up in the year 3000. Shenanigans ensue. On Hulu.

"Our Cartoon President" on Showtime. Basically a lampoon of 45th and his cabinet created by Stephen Colbert.

"Letterkenny" On Hulu with no explanation needed

"Trailer Park Boys" More stoner humor

FYI, there's some really good deals floating around right now for free 7 & 30 day free trials. I've used this to binge watch a series then cancel. 

Edited by ATXZJ

I've been listening to Harry Potter books on tape. My kids are both super into it, so I'm trying to catch up. 

I didn't watch a ton of TV before, and when I did, I would usually just settle with the best live sport available. I sat down last week, turned on Netflix and scrolled for a while. I landed on Jim & Andy, a documentary about Jim Carrey filming Man on the Moon. It was way more depressing than I wanted a documentary about a comedian to be.

Before the quarantine I watched Don't F@$# with Cats. Petty interesting documentary, but again (don't want to spoil it), it got pretty introspective. 

This is why I don't watch a lot of TV. I sit down to take my mind off things and end up watching something more depressing.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, notyal said:

This is why I don't watch a lot of TV. I sit down to take my mind off things and end up watching something more depressing.

Not too long ago, I sat down with the idea of watching a lighthearted movie. I was scrolling through the various streaming services and came to one option that caught my eye. The cover showed Matthew McConaughey wearing a cowboy hat, smiling, with his arms wide open. The title sounded vaguely familiar so I didn’t bother to read the plot synopsis and just hit play.

Long story short, Dallas Buyers Club is not a comedy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Dan said:

Not too long ago, I sat down with the idea of watching a lighthearted movie. I was scrolling through the various streaming services and came to one option that caught my eye. The cover showed Matthew McConaughey wearing a cowboy hat, smiling, with his arms wide open. The title sounded vaguely familiar so I didn’t bother to read the plot synopsis and just hit play.

Long story short, Dallas Buyers Club is not a comedy.

Good to know. That used to be on my watch list. 

1 hour ago, mack_turtle said:

when I feel stressed, an episode or two of The Office always soothes my soul. simpler times.

If you have not watched the UK office, it is 10X better. I think only 1 or 2 seasons, but worth the binge. I used to go to Slough when I was in the UK because O2 had offices there and we were working on a big server deal. Its pretty much everything you see in the show.

Oh, and movies that are not necessarily available on any of the streaming services but would be worth a pay per view:

1. Sexy Beast - Ben Kingsley ain't no Ghandi

2. Snatch or Lock Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels - Like Sexy Beast but funny, basically the same movie

3. Glengarry, Glenross - Best. Movie. Ever. Alec Baldwin is only in for 8 minutes but steals the show

4. Amelie - French, subtitles, worth it, especially if you have been to / want to go to Paris

5. Goodfellas - Yeah, I know, you saw it. Just shut up and watch it again

6. Office Space - Filmed here in Austin. Early tie in the movie to my Pickle comments on another thread.

7. Four Lions - The Alamo Drafthouse produced this one. Funny terrorist movie. Yeah, like a heartwarming slasher movie, right?

8. Fargo - The accents alone are worth it

9. This is Spinal Tap - This movie goes to 11

10. Trainspotting - It is Scottish, they are speaking English. It is OK to turn subtitles on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cafeend said:

The F1 show on Netflix-- Funny because they all were really looking toward the 2020 season

I signed up for F1 TV so I could stream the races.  No races this season but they do have some old ones and other videos you can watch.  I was watching best in-car from the 2016 Brazilian GP.  Wow!  If anyone had doubts about Verstappen's skill vs everyone else, you need to watch that.

I've also started watching HBO Sports with Brian Gumbel.  It's a good show with lots of interesting topics.  I can pretty much watch anything on HBO and like it.  So far there is no HBO show I've watched that I didn't like.

Netflix is getting worse and worse IMO.  If you search documentaries, most of what's listed is real life drama crap and not actual documentaries.

1 minute ago, AustinBike said:

Yes!  So much better (but very similar) to The Irishman.

One more thing I forgot.  I have NBC Sports Gold cycling subscription.  It's totally worth it and right now they are allowing subscribers of one service to watch the other channels. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

Yes!  So much better (but very similar) to The Irishman.

One more thing I forgot.  I have NBC Sports Gold cycling subscription.  It's totally worth it and right now they are allowing subscribers of one service to watch the other channels. 

I think my NBC SG Premier League pass lets me see the other channels as well. The idiots were showing classic matches, but it would be like "Tune in to see Liverpool vs Everton (3-2) in this classic match." Ugh, why give away the score, even though it was last year I forgot the outcome.

37 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

some of you folks are real wussies when it comes to staring into the cinematic abyss, eh? you definitely don't want my playlist.

Like I said, I don't watch much TV and even fewer movies. When I do, I want an escape from reality, not to be left contemplating my own existence. 

• Haha 1

YouTube channels worth watching:

Seth's Bike Hacks / Berm Peak  Express (duh)

Van Girl Kuka - Japanese women who lives out of a van and documents herself riding rad trails and learning new skills

Dustin Klein - mostly gravel content. creative editing.

Jeff Kendall-Weed - mtb pro

BKCX - traveling mtb vlogger

Path Less Pedaled lots of gravel/ bikepacking content

Fingers Cross BMX Ruban Alcantera and Garrett Byrnes are building full-suspension 20" bmx bikes

Hardtail Party dude rides hardtails and documents group rides sessioning technical trails

Clint Gibbs - bike vlogger, mix of mtb and gravel content

Jeff Lenosky - the Trail Boss

AvE - some Canadian shop guy who tests machines with hilarious commentary. some bike content.

Colin Furze - English mad engineer makes unsafe gadgets. hysterical!

Chris Akrigg - absolutely my favorite cycling athlete. dude can ride anything

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

Oh, and movies that are not necessarily available on any of the streaming services but would be worth a pay per view:

2. Snatch or Lock Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels - Like Sexy Beast but funny, basically the same movie

3. Glengarry, Glenross - Best. Movie. Ever. Alec Baldwin is only in for 8 minutes but steals the show

4. Amelie - French, subtitles, worth it, especially if you have been to / want to go to Paris

6. Office Space - Filmed here in Austin. Early tie in the movie to my Pickle comments on another thread.

7. Four Lions - The Alamo Drafthouse produced this one. Funny terrorist movie. Yeah, like a heartwarming slasher movie, right?

10. Trainspotting - It is Scottish, they are speaking English. It is OK to turn subtitles on.

Good choices

On 3/30/2020 at 1:22 PM, Cafeend said:

The F1 show on Netflix-- Funny because they all were really looking toward the 2020 season

That was funny. Funny sad anyway. Was looking forward to the season as well.

On 3/30/2020 at 3:02 PM, mack_turtle said:

AvE - some Canadian shop guy who tests machines with hilarious commentary. some bike content.

AvE has bike content? If you like AvE check out This Old Tony too.

On 3/30/2020 at 2:29 PM, AustinBike said:

LOVE 2, 3, 6, 8 and 9.  Have to add Fight Club (probably going to cue it up tonight)

On 3/30/2020 at 3:02 PM, mack_turtle said:

YouTube channels worth watching:

Seth's Bike Hacks / Berm Peak  Express (duh)

Van Girl Kuka - Japanese women who lives out of a van and documents herself riding rad trails and learning new skills

Dustin Klein - mostly gravel content. creative editing.

Jeff Kendall-Weed - mtb pro

BKCX - traveling mtb vlogger

Path Less Pedaled lots of gravel/ bikepacking content

Fingers Cross BMX Ruban Alcantera and Garrett Byrnes are building full-suspension 20" bmx bikes

Hardtail Party dude rides hardtails and documents group rides sessioning technical trails

Clint Gibbs - bike vlogger, mix of mtb and gravel content

Jeff Lenosky - the Trail Boss

Colin Furze - English mad engineer makes unsafe gadgets. hysterical!

Chris Akrigg - absolutely my favorite cycling athlete. dude can ride anything

Totally agree with your list.  Will add:

Remember that BCpov is husband/partner to Van Girl Kuka and is in the van at same time

If you like Van people: Paul the Punter

Don't forget our partners over the seas: GMBN

For something completely different, but REALLY creative:

DUST - SCIFI podcast of user built videos.  You can really get lost in here

TED Talks - There is no better vessel of vast information and imagination

CORRIDOR and CORRIDOR CREW - visual artists doing what they do best, most of the time just 'cause!

Let's Game it Out - cue's up small/indie/early access video games just to really break them.  He does to video games exactly what you want.  Best phrase "omg, why is this possible!"

• Like 1