IGNORED

What ya watchin? Share your thoughts on Movies, TV, and YouTube!

mack_turtle

Spent much of the day Sunday watching Sons of Liberty, which was apparently released back in 2015. It was quite riveting and really made me think about how so many different twists and turns could have resulted in a completely different outcome for America. Definitely have a much greater appreciation for the role Sam Adams played. Might have to pick up a sixer of Boston Lager in his honor.  

https://www.starz.com/us/en/series/31177/episodes?season=1

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, throet said:

Spent much of the day Sunday watching Sons of Liberty, which was apparently released back in 2015. It was quite riveting and really made me think about how so many different twists and turns could have resulted in a completely different outcome for America. Definitely have a much greater appreciation for the role Sam Adams played. Might have to pick up a sixer of Boston Lager in his honor.  

https://www.starz.com/us/en/series/31177/episodes?season=1

I'll have to check that out.

This is not the reading thread, but you might be interested in the book I just finished reading.  Sarah Vowell's "Lafayette in the Somewhat United States".   She digs into some really interesting tidbits that I never learned in the so many years of school that hammered the same tired stuff over and over.  Sam Adams and Paul Revere are two names that come up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

How did you watch it?  I can't stand dubbed shows so I always watch foreign shows in the original language with English subtitles.

I watched the dubbed version on Netflix, but I'm going to rewatch all three season with the original audio.

Edit: I can select it on Netflix.

Edited by TheX
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

supposedly some of the crowd sounds they are playing at English football games are taken from Fifa video game sound tracks. some genius sound editor is syncing the chants, cheers, boos, and songs with the pace of the game. weird, but kinda cool.

For Premier League the big adder is the songs. When things are really going well for a team the fans are singing. That was being pumped in, but not to the degree that you would normally hear in a match. This nullified much of the home field advantage.

On 7/23/2020 at 7:19 PM, AntonioGG said:

It's a great show, especially Tobias.  Post back what you think about the Netflix stuff.  I'm curious.

RE: Arrested Development

The rebooted Netflix stuff isn't very good. The old lady is ready to bail but I may stick it out, although I rarely laugh and find myself multi-tasking on my phone. The mild racism/stereotyping seems to have increased as well. I thought the original stuff was MUCH better.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, GFisher said:

RE: Arrested Development

The rebooted Netflix stuff isn't very good. The old lady is ready to bail but I may stick it out, although I rarely laugh and find myself multi-tasking on my phone. The mild racism/stereotyping seems to have increased as well. I thought the original stuff was MUCH better.

It gets better but never as good as the original.  Some of the new stuff is a bunch of inside jokes kind of thing.

Speaking of pissing your pants a bit, go look at the new Charlie Kaufman trailer on Netflix, I'm Thinking of Ending Things. Super creepy. I can't wait to see it.

On 7/22/2020 at 6:17 PM, Barry said:

Damn I miss Bourdain. 

Available on Amazon is Bourdain's, A Cook's Tour. It was his first series from Food Network and is essentially 35 (half hour) episodes the same show he always did. He eats a lot of amazing food, some revolting food, and gets shit-faced drunk with random families. 

Damn I miss Bourdain. 

• Like 1

We watched the 70s whodunnit spoof "murder by death" the other night. So odd, but funny at the same time. Freaking Truman Capote was in it and then Sellers as an Asian......ah the humor of 70s😁

Family is a big fan of the 80s movie "clue" and this is basically that movie, done 10 years prior.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_by_Death

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

We watched the 70s whodunnit spoof "murder by death" the other night. So odd, but funny at the same time. Freaking Truman Capote was in it and then Sellers as an Asian......ah the humor of 70s

So-Damn-GOOD!

• Like 1

On 8/10/2020 at 11:46 PM, Barry said:

He eats a lot of amazing food, some revolting food, and gets shit-faced drunk with random families. 

Damn I miss Bourdain. 

One of the luckiest breaks that I had was getting into tech at the right time. I've been around the world a few times and eaten some amazing food. Not the fancy "barbie food" from top notch restaurants, but the real local food. Been to china more times than I can count. Spent a weekend in Bangkok by myself with no phone (pre internet) and no connections. Crazy nights in Seoul, the Majesty of Tokyo, hearty food in Germany, French food without the attitude, dozens of different kinds of cod in Portugal, and even frozen raw meat in Moscow. If it was not for Bourdain I would never have been that adventurous. His show was incredible in opening my mind.

• Like 2

Need something calming? Watch these dudes outfit a narrow boat and explore England's canal system. Sounds like a solid retirement plan to me.
Foxes Afloat

Damnit Mack_turtle...I have made this my Friday afternoon decompression from work youtube diversion. Sucked when their dog died.

Between this and watching Matt Jones and Brendan Fairclough build dirt jumps, I waste a lot of time on YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my new favorite YouTuber Beau Miles. Rural Australian guy does a lot of running, growing things, and making things. He performs a lot of thought-provoking lifestyle experiments. In The Human Bean, he attempts to live for several weeks eating nothing but tin beans—his body weight in them actually—and documents the results. the production quality is really, really good. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2020 at 12:37 PM, AustinBike said:

I would trust Synology for a mesh. The most important parts of a mesh are an intelligent controller and handoff capability. You only get this as a combined set. Being able to do a cabled backhaul is the other important part.

So I finally got around to cutting to cord, well in a wimpy sort of way. I ended up dumping the overpriced AT&T U-Verse, which qualified me for the new customer pricing on their streaming service, AT&T TV. I've had no complaints with the AT&T gigabit internet service I've had for several years, and now with the new customer pricing for AT&T TV and bundling the internet service and  gift card rebates, my pricing for 2 yrs is competitive with You Tube TV and Sling. Anyway so far I really like the interface via the provided boxes, which also enable integrating other apps such as Netflix, HBO Max (comes free with the internet service), etc. The programming is great too, especially for a sports fanatic like me. 

What I need help with is getting a better wireless signal upstairs. Also curious though why one TV is picking up the 5Ghz signal and the other is picking up the 2.4Ghz - possibly due to the distance from the Gateway?. The Gateway is a Pace 5268AC and AT&T offers a compatible Wi-Fi extender for $49.99 that I'm thinking I will try vs. setting up an entirely new wireless network. It provides mesh coverage and works with both wired and wireless backhaul. Since I've got an ethernet jack in a bedroom adjacent to the upstairs TV room, I'm thinking I'll just put the wired extender there to create a stronger signal upstairs, for the TV but also for my kid's laptop and iPhone. @AustinBike any alternative advice you would offer? I'm still tempted to pay somebody to run wired ethernet connections to my main TVs, but given the cost of that, it will likely be a last resort.  

image.thumb.png.eee31aa9a67364a8fa38bd55a9f3d4a3.png

• Like 1

5GHz is a pickup truck and 2.4GHz is a Prius. 

5GHz will give you significantly better throughput, but that throughput drops off quickly as you step away from it. 2.4GHz does a better job of going through walls and obstacles, but it does not give you the bandwidth that you get from 5. The cool thing is, if both bands share the same SSID, the client will decide the best option, which is why you may see two identical devices connecting on different bands based on distance. The client is almost always smarter than you, so when you try to "force" one over the other (like having a 5GHz and 2.4GHz SSID with different names) you usually end up sub optimizing your signal.

As for extenders, unless they are wired, you're gonna get a shitty experience. For the most part extenders (not mesh) simply mask the signal. And they suck up dedicated bandwidth for that benefit. So your extender is no better and everything still suffers. Mesh systems do a better job of handling this situation. The other issue with the extender is that extenders don't do handoff. In their world every WiFi access point (main or extender) believes it is the only device in the world, so if you are moving around, as you move away from one and literally stand next to the other one it does not want to give up the signal and you stay connected, barely, to the one on the other side of the house.

I use WiFi Explorer https://www.intuitibits.com to scan my house and find the best channels. You can set your APs to use non-overlapping channels (1, 6, 11 in the US) in 2.4GHz. Find the one with the least amount of interference and choose that. Stay away from "auto channel" on your router. Auto only works once, the first time the router starts. If it picks a bad channel you're stuck with it. Also, you may find your bonewipe neighbors using overlapped channels (2,3,4,5,7,7,9,10) - If you find this, politely explain to them that they are being an asshole. So many people think (well, everyone is on Channel 1 so I'll use channel 2 and have it all to myself. But Channel 1 is actually 1-3 in frequency. So the guy on Channel 2 is seen as interference and you lose bandwidth. And here is the funny part - if he stuck to channel 1, with both of you on the same channel, you'd both get better signal. The deal is that wifi systems with share and coexist on the same channel, but ONLY the same channel. So two on channel 1 will take turns. But one on 1 and one on 2 will fight with each other all day long.

Here is an example from my neighborhood (dense central Austin):

1500613049_ScreenShot2020-09-01at6_47_36AM.thumb.jpg.29d6f96f7cbcd9dc7ad5230b1b61d028.jpg

As you can see I have idiots around me running on 2 and 8. And trust me, I have screamed in the neighborhood about it. They're like people who don't believe in masks, apparently their science is better.

Also setting your channel width can have a big impact. If you can give me more specifics about your wifi setup I might be able to give you specific tips.

• Like 3

Is that fast? Well that depends.

Here's mine:

1105153975_ScreenShot2020-09-01at11_31_17AM.thumb.png.066ce805c6288d3bf96f9c7371953eaf.png

Mine is slower than yours, but I am on a 400Mb/s plan, so getting almost 20% above the rated speed is pretty good.

Yours could be great if you are on a 400Mb/s plan and shitty if you are on a Gigabit plan (because you are only getting half the speed.) Also, if this is done via wifi it's very good speed in most environments.

When you measure, you need to measure the speed in your house and out of your house. Here is my in-house wifi speed:

430368603_ScreenShot2020-08-30at5_23_01PM.thumb.jpeg.de5f993ab094e543f9082f48913c029e.jpeg

461Mb/s is very respectable for wifi, my wired performance is ~950Mb/s in the house.