IGNORED

What ya watchin? Share your thoughts on Movies, TV, and YouTube!

mack_turtle

1 hour ago, ATXZJ said:

Been using the netgear MESH for my home and it works really well. 

X2 on the 2.4 vs 5 but ill choose wired any day over wifi.......hate it so much

Neighborhood is wired for google but houses aren't ready yet. 

My house is ~40 clients wireless and ~10 clients wired. I try to go wired where I can but some things just don't offer that option.

I had gigabit for about 2 months. They gave it to me at the old price and it was fine but as soon as they wanted to charge me for gigabit speed I went back to 300. The problem is that the first hop is all that is gigabit beyond that you are relying on the rest of the internet. I find virtually zero performance difference unless I am downloading an OS image from a CDN cache somewhere.

My system has intrusion detection / protection and when I turn that on my outbound speed drops from 400Mb/s to 90Mb/s because there is no offload for IPS/IDS. When I turn it on I see virtually no performance difference between 400 and 90 most of the time. ~60Mb/s is probably plenty for most. To get 4K on Netflix you need to have ~25Mb/s. 

Before you jump on Google do the math. In my case the ~60% increase in cost bought me ~5% greater average performance. Once in a blue moon is a terrible reason to have gigabit, it's like having a Porsche that you drive once a month. I'm more of a run-of-the-mill Nissan guy.

• Thanks 1

back on topic:

I am a big fan of Aldous Huxley's Brave New World. the TV series on the Peacock network gets the general feeling right, but they have changed quite a bit. I think the vision of the future had to be updated since it's nearly 90 years old now. the general feel of New London, the people's dependence on soma, and the unquestioning devotion to the genetic caste system is spot-on. I think they have swapped the allegorical roles of some of the characters, but I don't want to spoil anything. I'm 5 episodes in and it's not been a disappointment.

Nora from Queens is a great source of mindless fun!

also watching the old British sitcom The IT Crowd for some slapstick. some of it is kinda cringey now but the political incorrectness of it is part of the fun.

I don't know what to think of Doom Patrol. the plot is all over the place.

the execution of Lovecraft Country is masterful. life as a Black person in America in the 1950s must have been terrifying enough, but add monsters, sorcery, and doomsday cults cults into the mix and it's scary.

I am counting the days and hours to the premier of Raised By Wolves.

apparently I watch a lot of TV these days.

Tour de France - I have NBC Sports Gold and Flobikes so I get to see most of the big road races as well as cyclocross and some mountain biking. Been a tough restart to the year, a lot of bad crashes. Most horrific was Remco Evenepoel. He is a 20 year old Belgian that has the potential to be one of the all time greats. 

This reminds me of a conversation in another thread about someone with little skill being able to keep up offroad on an e-bike. It is what I call 'New Speed'. I have a super strong roadie buddy who raced Cat 2 and won the State Championship easily having just started riding offroad. He was super strong but had no skill. He would crash every race (8 times once!) and still won the race. While this kid is a true phenom and far from unskilled, he was descending a mountain with some of the best descenders in the world who have been doing this for many more years. Scary.

So last night as I was sulking after the Rockets loss, I started flipping through channels and saw that they were showcasing Cam Zink on an X-Games episode on ESPN. I was intrigued because you so rarely see anything MTB related on X-Games. Anyway, I ended up wasting an hour on all the hype and commercials leading up to the single jump that the show was all about. Save yourself the misery and watch the full 30-sec clip here. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm watching Stranger, a Korean show about prosecutors, cops, and corruption.  It's a very interesting show.  Apparently they have a problem with corruption of prosecutors, nepotism, and oligarchs in real life so they made a show about it.  The daily life stuff makes me want to visit Korea.  The pop-up tent bars, whatever alcohol comes in those green bottles I want, the food I want.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2020 at 11:28 AM, AntonioGG said:

I'm watching Stranger, a Korean show about prosecutors, cops, and corruption.  It's a very interesting show.  Apparently they have a problem with corruption of prosecutors, nepotism, and oligarchs in real life so they made a show about it.  The daily life stuff makes me want to visit Korea.  The pop-up tent bars, whatever alcohol comes in those green bottles I want, the food I want.

Pop up restaurants are really popular. Korean food is insanely great, never had a bad meal there. The stuff in the green bottles is soju, basically like sake but different. There is an art and pageantry to drinking it. Sometime when this pandemic is over I can show you the right rules, it ends up like a college drinking game. I always mess it up because Americans are programmed with different manners. 
There is another liquor called makgeoli. That comes in a bowl and looks like miso soup. You won’t get it in most “normal” restaurants. If you get served that, then you know the meal is gonna be incredibly authentic. And awesomely tasty. I have a long story about that stuff and a million stories about soju. I want to go back. Is Stranger on Netflix?

31 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

Pop up restaurants are really popular. Korean food is insanely great, never had a bad meal there. The stuff in the green bottles is soju, basically like sake but different. There is an art and pageantry to drinking it. Sometime when this pandemic is over I can show you the right rules, it ends up like a college drinking game. I always mess it up because Americans are programmed with different manners. 
There is another liquor called makgeoli. That comes in a bowl and looks like miso soup. You won’t get it in most “normal” restaurants. If you get served that, then you know the meal is gonna be incredibly authentic. And awesomely tasty. I have a long story about that stuff and a million stories about soju. I want to go back. Is Stranger on Netflix?

I'm salivating!  Yes Stranger is on Netflix.

And if you want to try soju, start here:

https://www.totalwine.com/spirits/other-imported-whiskey/jinro-chamisul-fresh/p/120865750?s=514&igrules=true

Chamisul is the most common, I had it everywhere. There are better brands for the connoisseur but this is the baseline.  Will start Stranger tomorrow, need to finish up season 3 of Dark tonight. After I get done watching Man U lose (thanks google!)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AustinBike said:

And if you want to try soju, start here:

https://www.totalwine.com/spirits/other-imported-whiskey/jinro-chamisul-fresh/p/120865750?s=514&igrules=true

Chamisul is the most common, I had it everywhere. There are better brands for the connoisseur but this is the baseline.  Will start Stranger tomorrow, need to finish up season 3 of Dark tonight. After I get done watching Man U lose (thanks google!)

Mmmmm.  Soju.  And then there is the party SoMek.  Soooo good.  We also love the unfiltered Sake (milk sake).  Great stuff

• Like 1