IGNORED

What ya watchin? Share your thoughts on Movies, TV, and YouTube!

mack_turtle

OK, got up to episode 3 of Stranger, pretty good. The soju they are drinking is the same Chamisul that you bought. You can see some of the ceremony when the police lieutenant and the mother are on the deck.

First rule is that only one person is supposed to pour it at the table, never the waiter. The lower status person is supposed to do the pouring. When someone lower than you pours, you hold your glass with one hand. Is someone higher than you pours you use 2 hands (sign of respect). That is where I would always screw up, they assumed I was higher status because I came from headquarters and I would use two hands because I was trying to show respect. Then, if someone pours yours and you did not use your hands on your cup you are supposed to touch the bottle to acknowledge that you were not paying attention. It's a whole ceremony. 

Pretty similar with beer. Here in the US we all order our own beers at the table but in Korea they will order 32-oz or 40-oz bottles and use small glasses where you are constantly refilling everyone's glass. 

One of the biggest soju rules is that if you are done drinking, leave a full glass. Because if your glass is empty they will refill it for you. The only way to stop that cycle is to leave it full. Plenty of other rules, drinking with Koreans is always crazy fun but always really complicated. They basically don't try to explain the pageantry of it to you unless you ask. If you show a lot of interest they get crazy into the rules and you'll end up drinking twice as much because they go through all of the rules with you.

• Like 1

just watched Tread, the documentary about a small town Colorado man who decided to exact his revenge on the perceived local conspiracy against him by building an indestructible demolition tank out of a bulldozer and wrecking the town with it. The movie drags a bit as they pound in how deep his paranoia over it was, so I skipped ahead to the climax at some point in the movie. tragic and fascinating. [Netflix]

Edited by mack_turtle

29 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

just watched Tread, the documentary about a small town Colorado man who decided to exact his revenge on the perceived local conspiracy against him by building an indestructible demolition tank out of a bulldozer and wrecking the town with it. The movie drags a bit as they pound in how deep his paranoia over it was, so I skipped ahead to the climax at some point in the movie. tragic and fascinating. [Netflix]

That dude definitely took a left turn a long the way and seemed to make some poor decisions for sure

4 hours ago, AustinBike said:

OK, got up to episode 3 of Stranger, pretty good. The soju they are drinking is the same Chamisul that you bought. You can see some of the ceremony when the police lieutenant and the mother are on the deck.

First rule is that only one person is supposed to pour it at the table, never the waiter. The lower status person is supposed to do the pouring. When someone lower than you pours, you hold your glass with one hand. Is someone higher than you pours you use 2 hands (sign of respect). That is where I would always screw up, they assumed I was higher status because I came from headquarters and I would use two hands because I was trying to show respect. Then, if someone pours yours and you did not use your hands on your cup you are supposed to touch the bottle to acknowledge that you were not paying attention. It's a whole ceremony. 

Pretty similar with beer. Here in the US we all order our own beers at the table but in Korea they will order 32-oz or 40-oz bottles and use small glasses where you are constantly refilling everyone's glass. 

One of the biggest soju rules is that if you are done drinking, leave a full glass. Because if your glass is empty they will refill it for you. The only way to stop that cycle is to leave it full. Plenty of other rules, drinking with Koreans is always crazy fun but always really complicated. They basically don't try to explain the pageantry of it to you unless you ask. If you show a lot of interest they get crazy into the rules and you'll end up drinking twice as much because they go through all of the rules with you.

In season 2 they show them at what looks like an ancient restaurant drinking milky stuff out off brass bowls poured from a kettle.  This is the other stuff you were talking about right?  The place looked so cozy and inviting.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AntonioGG said:

I finally finished Dark.  I stopped trying to figure out exactly who was from where/when all the time and it all made sense in the end.

I watched it twice, watching it in German this time, with English subtitles. It really does make it better.

11 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

I finally finished Dark.  I stopped trying to figure out exactly who was from where/when all the time and it all made sense in the end.

Yeah, I had that same problem.

Having a similar problem in Stranger, halfway through the second season and beyond Han and Si-Mok I can't keep any of the names straight. I know all the characters but when the names come up in the subtitles it means nothing.

2 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Yeah, I had that same problem.

Having a similar problem in Stranger, halfway through the second season and beyond Han and Si-Mok I can't keep any of the names straight. I know all the characters but when the names come up in the subtitles it means nothing.

I may be wrong, but for me part of the problem is it seems like the captions switched the order of the names between the seasons.  Si-Mok Hwang one season and Hwang Si-Mok another season.  But it all started making sense to me eventually.

• 1 month later...

I've been on a kick of watching civil rights documentaries, musician documentaries, and WWII shows and documentaries.  I think maybe deep down it's my sub-conscious trying to put our current situation in perspective, probably as a result of one of my kids saying "2020 is the worst time ever".

On Netflix:

• I am Not your Negro--This is based on an incomplete book by James Baldwin, narrated by Samuel L. Jackson.  I think it's outstanding.  It does a great job of placing you at that time.
  • What Happened Miss Simone
  • Miles Davis:  Birth of the Cool
  • Free State of Jones:  based on true story I had never head/read about.
  • The 12th Man:  This is the Jan Balsruud story.  I had read the book "We Die Alone" and the book is better as usual (I highly recommend it but it's out of print), but the movie adds the visuals which you don't get in the book.
  • The Liberator:  This is about the Thunderbirds in WWII 500 days of battle from Italy to Germany.  It's animated, and I had a hard time with the animation, but the stories are amazing, sad, and shocking.
  • USS Indianapolis: Men of Courage.  Nick Cage is not my favorite actor, but the story here is also shocking.

Most of these will make you uncomfortable, sad, angry, all-of-the-above.  That's OK.  You'll be better for it.  They go well with a good drink or two...or three.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...