IGNORED

On the bright side

Sluggo

5 hours ago, Barry said:

However proper Chicago style, like you can get at Mangia, is quite good.

Can't wait to see what @AustinBike has to say about this.  🙂

IMO:

Giordanno's>Geno's East>Uno>Mangia

I wonder if Geno's is shipping frozen pies.....

I love all the pizzas.  From the super thin Florentine brick oven pizza to something like Giordanno's.  I also love Via313 (my first introduction to Detroit style have only tried the Detroiter), Neapolitan, NY and NJ styles.

In Austin, I think Little Deli > Home Slice for NJ/NY style but I can flip on a whim.  I need to go to both places back to back to make the final call.  (pepperoni is what I pick at all places to judge).  For me the crust makes a huge difference and eating it at the place is 10x better than take home.

East Side pies is really good for the thin crust but so are the ones at Vespaio.  Plenty of styles for everyone to enjoy!

• Haha 2

I sense a pizza throw down coming. We can’t ride. We can’t go to work. We can’t watch or play sports. We’re stuck in a wild ride of pandemic quarantine waiting for the next Pearl Harbor. The only thing sacred that’s left is that unwavering devotion that people have to a certain food and how their way is the ‘right way’. No matter what the outcome, we all win.

I’m like Antonio here, I like it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AntonioGG said:

Plenty of styles for everyone to enjoy!

Or, like Tree Magnet is saying, discuss about ad infinitum.  What else is there to do? Let the games begin!  😄

I'll eat any kind of pizza because I'm not that much of a snob about it. But I PREFER deep dish. I like something to chew on. Pizza flavored doughy goodness.

• Like 1

Beaux Joe’s mountain pies in Idaho Springs Colorado is some good stuff. Thick crust that you put honey on it’s soft and doughy almost like a sopapilla.

Mangias is too thick. East side pies seems too thin. 313 was good and somewhat in the middle. Basically, if I’m eating pizza I figure I might as well go for it. “Sin big” as they say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

In Austin, I think Little Deli > Home Slice for NJ/NY style but I can flip on a whim.  I need to go to both places back to back to make the final call.  

No matter how good the pie is fresh, the next day toaster oven version is better. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

Can't wait to see what @AustinBike has to say about this.  🙂

Here is the official hierarchy:

1. Lou Malnati's 
  2. Gino's, Uno, CPOG, etc. (at their Chicago locations, not franchises)
  3. Giordano's, Nancy's, etc (again, Chicago locations)
  4. Aurellio's (yes, it is thin, but I make an exception)
  5. Gino's, Uno, Giordano's, etc. (Franchises outside of Chicago)
  6. Mangia
  7. Thin crust pizza
  8. Thin crust pizza with cauliflower or other crust - if you are going to eat the pizza, just eat the damn pizza

Admin, please lock this thread, we need no more discussion on this.

Edited by AustinBike
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Tony C's does a pretty good job with pizza. Still not NY but pretty good from their wood fired oven. Coming from LI we had a small family Italian pork store in our town that has been there since 1971. One of the kids of the current generation running the store went to CIA and opened a pizza parlor, the best pizza I've ever had. Damn I do miss that place😢 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AustinBike said:

Here is the official hierarchy:

1. Lou Malnatti's 
  2. Gino's, Uno, CPOG, etc. (at their Chicago locations, not franchises)
  3. Giordano's, Nancy's, etc (again, Chicago locations)
  4. Aurellio's (yes, it is thin, but I make an exception)
  5. Gino's, Uno, Giordano's, etc. (Franchises outside of Chicago)
  6. Mangia
  7. Thin crust pizza
  8. Thin crust pizza with cauliflower or other crust - if you are going to eat the pizza, just eat the damn pizza

Admin, please lock this thread, we need no more discussion on this.

I've had Uno's at Ohio & Wabash (how do I remember this corner from 15 years ago without looking...did I get it right?) and Giordano's from the Rush St location but I think maybe I was badly influenced in my order by having had Uno's from Dallas/Addison between them, or maybe I ate them too far apart, and was influenced by the Chicagoans we met at Giordanos, but I liked that a lot.  I also thought the Gino's East(sorry about my earlier mis-spelling) crust was pretty special.   Hmm, need to plan a trip to Chicago just for fun, get the kids an all museum access pass and try to hit all the pizzas in the trip.

For NJ (where my sister lives) it's seems like you can't really go wrong just hitting your local neighborhood strip mall pizzeria.  Little Deli reminds me a lot of the NJ places I've visited.

1 hour ago, AustinBike said:

Lou Malnatti's 

So it's the best pizza casserole, but not good enough to spell correctly? 😉

Other than the satisfactory Mangia, the only one on the list I've had is Uno (franchise), and it was wicked gross. I think I would have preferred sicilian, or (retch) Pizza Hut. 

7 minutes ago, Barry said:

So it's the best pizza casserole, but not good enough to spell correctly? 😉

Other than the satisfactory Mangia, the only one on the list I've had is Uno (franchise), and it was wicked gross. I think I would have preferred sicilian, or (retch) Pizza Hut. 

OK, fixed it.

Too much coffee this morning.

3 hours ago, throet said:

On the bright side, perhaps this Pandemic will serve as a wakeup call for us most disruptive inhabitants on earth. 

So basically, it takes a virus to stop a virus. We live in a neighborhood that the city has bought homes due to the 2013/2015 floods and within weeks of vacating a home the place looks like its been abandoned for years. Vegetation, deer and other various wildlife have completely taken over blocks of streets that used to have luxury homes. Surreal.

Nature will reclaim the earth when we stop f@cking with it.

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

So basically, it takes a virus to stop a virus. We live in a neighborhood that the city has bought homes due to the 2013/2015 floods and within weeks of vacating a home the place looks like its been abandoned for years. Vegetation, deer and other various wildlife have completely taken over blocks of streets that used to have luxury homes. Surreal.

Nature will reclaim the earth when we stop f@cking with it.

Wife and I went to Belize a few years back and went to the Lamanai ruins. There were three temples that had been uncovered or partially uncovered and restored. The tour guide mentioned that what was uncovered was only about thirty percent of what is there. The jungle reclaimed most all of the site over time. Amazing place to go if you ever have the opportunity. These are stock photos (not mine) of the high temple which is just at 100'. The top is just over the the jungle canopy and is quite the climb to get to the top giving an amazing view. I did not climb up the face which is in the first pic, but I did climb down that way and it's very intimidating at the least. But yes nature will reclaim itself given enough time. We are not all that we think we are.

maxresdefault.jpg

place-central-america-belize-history-archeology-lamanai-05.jpg

• Like 4