IGNORED

On the bright side

Sluggo

20 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Welcome to my world. Basically when I got on board with eating good food my wife was really into intermittent fasting. Part of my weight loss (and maintenance) is that most days we only eat 2 meals, ~10:30 in the morning and ~4 in the afternoon. This gives us a really long fast (18+ hours). These days I am eating a little earlier and then riding, so when I get back to the house ~2:00 it is too late for lunch because dinner is around the corner.

Yeah, it's weird when we used to go out to dinner with people, but that shit is out the window.

I'm finding myself also eating only 2 meals.  I don't get the 16 hours of fasting but it's definitely usually 12+ hours of fasting.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

Fasting helps in so many ways, from weight to brain. Hope it turns out well for you.

Seems logical given that our species evolved as hunters and gatherers who surely went long periods of time between meals. The YesHealth diabetes prevention program that I'm in now encourages the opposite though - 5 to 6 small meals / snacks throughout the day. Of course they only encourage foods low on the glycemic scale and small portions. I'm now down 25 pounds in less than 4 months and overall feeling great. I'm not sure what science is out there comparing the two approaches, but am guessing different folks will react differently to each. Maybe the "multiple small meals throughout the day" approach is designed specifically for societies that have been conditioned for centuries to eat as much and as often as possible. I'm thinking because insulin production / reaction for so many of us has gotten so screwed up over the years, that is the only way for some of us to move to a healthy diet. Sort of like treating heroin addicts with methadone if that makes sense. 

22 hours ago, throet said:

I'm now down 25 pounds in less than 4 months and overall feeling great.

Results > theories. Do what works for you. Everyone is different.

Multiple meals throughout the day could work but if any of those creates a glycemic spike, all bets are off at that point. My big issue on glucose is not weight, but brain. 

• Like 1

On 4/25/2020 at 3:19 PM, AntonioGG said:

I'm finding myself also eating only 2 meals.  I don't get the 16 hours of fasting but it's definitely usually 12+ hours of fasting.

Same here with the two meals. We're doing the 16hr from 7pm to 11am and it seems to be working for us. Admittedly, it was nighttime that I was doing my worst as I'd get on the computer, drink alcohol and snack. Never a good combination. The fasting solved that without having to battle impulse control too much.

On the bright side, I finally started getting some blinds hung and updating our study this weekend. We also had some time to squeeze in a 3lb meatloaf on the smoker. That smoke ring is sexy AF. If you haven't tried smoking a meatloaf, do it. 

IMG_20200427_094246775_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200426_184940348.jpg

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 6

Weight is no longer an issue for me. Dropped 50-60 lbs about 3 years ago and have kept it off; In real terms I have greater odds of weight being too low rather than too high.

The two medical things that I deal with are Alzheimer's and cholesterol. History of both in my family so I need to monitor and manage these. Both Alzheimer's and Cholesterol have a very specific tie back to what you eat, and sugar is the culprit on both. Believe it or not, dietary cholesterol isn't the driver of serum (blood) cholesterol, sugar is. The "don't eat red meat or fats" argument on cholesterol is starting to run out of steam as the AMA, ADA and others are starting to realize that fat is actually good for you and that sugar is the bad guy. I cut cholesterol from 235 to under 200 by eating more eggs, cheese, fats and meat while simultaneously cutting sugar and carbs out of my diet.

Sleep is the other key driver, outside of sugar, on Alzheimer's so I monitor both my total sleep and my deep sleep every night.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ATXZJ said:

Same here with the two meals. We're doing the 16 from 7pm to 11am and it seems to be working for us. Admittedly, it was nighttime that I was doing my worst as I'd get on the computer, drink alcohol and snack. Never a good combination. The fasting solved that without having to battle impulse control too much.

On the bright side, I finally started getting some blinds hung and updating our study this weekend and also had time to squeeze in some meatloaf on the smoker. That smoke ring is sexy AF. If you haven't tried smoking a meatloaf, do it. 

Never had smoked meatloaf, that looks great.

• Like 1

Thanks! Got turned onto smoked meatloaf when we lived in SLC. Pat's BBQ was on diners & dives for their wednesday meatloaf special and we were hooked from then on.

Half tempted to cover it with coarse black pepper to give it some bark next time.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

Same here with the two meals. We're doing the 16hr from 7pm to 11am and it seems to be working for us. Admittedly, it was nighttime that I was doing my worst as I'd get on the computer, drink alcohol and snack. Never a good combination. The fasting solved that without having to battle impulse control too much.

On the bright side, I finally started getting some blinds hung and updating our study this weekend. We also had some time to squeeze in a 3lb meatloaf on the smoker. That smoke ring is sexy AF. If you haven't tried smoking a meatloaf, do it. 

How long and how hot are you smoking that loaf?

• Like 2

A couple recipes i have used.

http://everybodyeatsatthefishers.blogspot.com/2009/05/pats-smoked-meatloaf.html

https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/smoked-meatloaf/

If you don't own a smoker

https://www.weber.com/US/en/blog/grilling-inspiration/grilled-meatloaf-for-dinner/weber-30545.html

This last one, I was out of chunk wood and had to use a larger piece of oak i had cut for firewood. Temp in the smoker went from 300 to 450 fast and was running away from me. Then (as usual) I stalled the f@cking thing and it dropped to 200. Finally got it consistent at 290-300 and left it for 3 hrs. Internal temp was around 160 but it didn't have the glaze yet so left it in for another 15 or so until it had that dark glazed look.

FWIW, I have the weber bullet smoker, and just lay the loaf on a pizza pan covered in foil and don't use a tin. The time i used a baking tin, it didn't have much of a smoke ring or flavor. I also don't swab with BBQ sauce while cooking. Just stick it in there and dont open lid for 2hrs.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

Is that Astro Turf? 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, throet said:

Is that Astro Turf? 

14 hours ago, notyal said:

Can you blame him? It’s really hard to grow grass in an office.

if the grass is green, play ball😝

House was built in the 70s and it still hasn't lost all of it's "charm" yet. 

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1