IGNORED

Walnut Warning + other trails too

Went over to the WC to do some lopping and trimming in the little section of trail between the cyclone fence and the left turn into Mark's Art and also the section to the right if you don't turn into Mark's Art. 

While working, I  heard a bike coming so I stepped off the trail.  The guy got right up to me and sneezed the wettest sneeze humanly possible just as he got even with me.  Seriously,  it raised the relative humidity and he had both hands on the handlebar so it was all just out there.  Then another guy wanted to show me a picture of a mushroom on his cell phone in case I could identify it.  No, just no.  So, social distancing was not 100% successful.   

Anyway, this leads up to the real point of my post.   There are a lot of people out and about on foot at Walnut Creek and I'm assuming every other trail system and also people who don't usually ride, like (no disrespect) guys in baseball caps on 26ers. 

It's spring; everything is growing and the sight lines aren't great. 

There are many, many more people hiking, walking, strolling than usual and for the most part they aren't alone.   I know this because I could hear them talking, even if they didn't make the turn onto the section of trail where I was.  They may be walking single file or side by side, there may be kids and/or dogs.  They may have zero awareness that mountain bikers even use these trails.  The guy who was trying to ask me about mushrooms had on big headphones and I've noticed a few people with ear buds talking on their phones while running.    

Save cxagent from agita by 

• being extra cautious
  • controlling speed when you can't see what's around a corner
  • being ready for anything
  • being super considerate of and courteous to your fellow trail users, even if they are oblivious
Edited by June Bug
  • Like 7

I’m going to be “that guy” and say it: They should shut down the parks. People are idiots and taking too many risks. Personally I’ve seen an uptick in people riding trails out here at Brushy without helmets on. 

Meanwhile, I’m 3D printing face shield components 24/7 to meet hospital demands. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

28 minutes ago, June Bug said:

While working, I  heard a bike coming so I stepped off the trail.  The guy got right up to me and sneezed the wettest sneeze humanly possible just as he got even with me.  Seriously,  it raised the relative humidity and he had both hands on the handlebar so it was all just out there. 

So where are the good spots to hide the bodies at Walnut? 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, June Bug said:

While working, I  heard a bike coming so I stepped off the trail.  The guy got right up to me and sneezed the wettest sneeze humanly possible just as he got even with me.  Seriously,  it raised the relative humidity and he had both hands on the handlebar so it was all just out there. 

I would've have had a full on panic attack. f#ck that

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GreenMTBrider said:

I’m going to be “that guy” and say it: They should shut down the parks.

Another option, and it has been done, I just don't recall where, is to close parks for automobile traffic. No driving to it, no parking.  

...said a guy who lives at Walnut. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, GreenMTBrider said:

I agree with this.

.... said a guy who lives at Brushy. 

Agree with this.

Maybe I can go back to riding St. Eds without having to deal with loose aggressive dogs and clueless owners and people parking halfway onto Old Spicewood Springs Rd.

• Like 3

I have been on the streets unfortunately. 

My bigger concern on the trails is not some bonewipe sneezing on me, but crashing into me and requiring a trip to the ER. I don't want to be consuming medical resources unnecessarily. Between several medical issues going on right now, I am pretty much writing off 2020 for mountain biking. Normally someone buys a bike and the rain keeps us off the trails. Who bought something that brought this on????

• Like 3

Wanted to clarify about the relative number of people.  I was on the far side of the park; there were no hordes as there can be on Saturday or Sunday morning at WC.   But people were wandering in Tangle of Trails.  It's partly an emphasis on realizing that people can be in unexpected places. 

That said, this was later in the afternoon (~3:30 to 5:30); the weather was perfect. 

The morning was windy, overcast and cool, not the kind of weather that draws people out.  Plan accordingly. 

16 hours ago, June Bug said:

Save cxagent from agita by 

• being extra cautious
  • controlling speed when you can't see what's around a corner
  • being ready for anything
  • being super considerate of and courteous to your fellow trail users, even if they are oblivious

I had to google "agita".

I pushed those same recommendations for years. I thought those were appropriate before the pandemic. Maybe people will pay more attention now.

But I am happy to report - Its no longer *MY* problem. After 5 years I have passed on my patient and politically correct hats. I am glad someone has stepped up to wear them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, AustinBike said:

I have been on the streets unfortunately. 

My bigger concern on the trails is not some bonewipe sneezing on me, but crashing into me and requiring a trip to the ER. I don't want to be consuming medical resources unnecessarily. Between several medical issues going on right now, I am pretty much writing off 2020 for mountain biking. Normally someone buys a bike and the rain keeps us off the trails. Who bought something that brought this on????

I guess my Turbo Levo SL purchase caused it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, cxagent said:

But I am happy to report - Its no longer *MY* problem. After 5 years I have passed on my patient and politically correct hats. I am glad someone has stepped up to wear them.

cxagent, thanks for all of your hard work over these many years! Take a well deserved break and get back to enjoying life without that particular headache!  

Looks like some  rain will be in the forecast until *checks weather notes*  starting Friday and continuing to the end of the current 10-day forecast.  Who knew e-bikes were so, uh, powerful. 

• Like 1