IGNORED

Walnut Warning + other trails too

3 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

OK be honest, who thought I was serious?  April Fools!

I didn't think you were serious and didn't even remember 4.1 at the time, even though I am hyper vigilant to that date. But then, I don't think of you as weak sauce either, so that's probably why.

• Like 1

All that new stuff on Outer Log is fun but yeah people are gonna be hauling through there now......as I tried too until coming up on a dad and two little girls.....  It was sweet as hell when I hucked them! In fact if I didn't pull my No Hander Tabletop I would have decapitated three people!!

Edited by Bamwa

Our neighborhood basketball courts and tennis courts are still packed. People in the neighborhood complain that they need to get out. One actually chastised me when I said personal trainers should not be holding sessions in the park. Park is closed and they are conducting a business and that is going over the line in my book. Luckily the rest of the neighborhood jumped in and stomped on that idiot so I didn't have to reply. ~300,000 infected and this is how we act. Sadly, half a million won't change things. We'll know for sure in another week or so.

6 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

In the poopy water!

Oh I've been in that. Yardsaled main creek crossing when I first started riding. I honestly think y'all are crazy. That water is not that bad. The only park upstream is Gracywoods and no dogs really get in the water there. Not sure where else upstream of The Hideout would be a source of funk. My dog plops here and at root drop where it's deeper, and also in the Wells Branch portion down from the pool. I even ride in Teva's no biggie. I only remember one Mojo who blamed some foot funk on this park, but if you have foot funk it's a bigger issue.

On 3/31/2020 at 6:38 PM, GreenMTBrider said:

I’m going to be “that guy” and say it: They should shut down the parks. People are idiots and taking too many risks. Personally I’ve seen an uptick in people riding trails out here at Brushy without helmets on. 

Meanwhile, I’m 3D printing face shield components 24/7 to meet hospital demands. 

Well, the good thing is if they crash, they probably won't be riding out there again, with or without a helmet, anytime soon.

On 4/1/2020 at 6:44 AM, AustinBike said:

I have been on the streets unfortunately. 

My bigger concern on the trails is not some bonewipe sneezing on me, but crashing into me and requiring a trip to the ER. I don't want to be consuming medical resources unnecessarily. Between several medical issues going on right now, I am pretty much writing off 2020 for mountain biking. Normally someone buys a bike and the rain keeps us off the trails. Who bought something that brought this on????

I bought a house. Sorry. Also turning 50, so apparently all those "50/grim reaper gags" are coming true...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jcarneytx said:

Pretty sure it's come up at an R/I at some point. But yeah, 4-20 all month long, birthday on 4/20...and it's a pandemic. FML...

Well at least you'll look 38 for it. Me, I'm probably going to look like I'm 70 by the time I turn 45.

...and I'm totally fine with shutting down car access to the parks for now. I can ride to WC, and I'll just park at Shinerider's house to hit Brushy. I've decided that I don't want to go to WC any time after noon due to all the oblivious people on the trails. I've seen people on 6K bikes without helmets, and I've seen people with full face helmets and Huffy's riding the paved path. All kinds are out, which I actually see as maybe good for the growth of cycling. But man, the Dentists and the Freds bring a whole new dynamic. It almost reminds of the when Pokemon Go was taking over the park. So many people with headphones on staring at their phone in the middle of the trail. Even riding the road is getting difficult to avoid people.

Basically the streets are empty. I can do an urban ride and rarely come even 20 feet from anyone. Never see another rider, except if I am on the SWCT; all of the streets are clear. Anything that is a "bike trail", i.e. paved or crushed granite, is full of people. Shitty pavement is wide open. 

Big discussion in my neighborhood newsgroup about face masks with people arguing that all bikers should have masks. But, then again it was started by a person who said she wears a mask in her car, so take that at face value. On the TLH&B trail I would argue a mask is required, which is why I am off on empty streets because I don't want to need a mask.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Basically the streets are empty. I can do an urban ride and rarely come even 20 feet from anyone. Never see another rider, except if I am on the SWCT; all of the streets are clear...

Big discussion in my neighborhood newsgroup about face masks with people arguing that all bikers should have masks. But, then again it was started by a person who said she wears a mask in her car, so take that at face value. On the TLH&B trail I would argue a mask is required, which is why I am off on empty streets because I don't want to need a mask.

I guess that was my problem, I was on Shoal Creek.

I saw a similar discussion on our local Nextdoor thread. Honestly, I'm sorry but I'm never going to wear a face mask when biking. I need to be able to breathe. I'll seek out the empty streets instead. I'll wear my mask when I'm actually around other people, like at the grocery store.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Teamsloan said:

I guess that was my problem, I was on Shoal Creek.

I saw a similar discussion on our local Nextdoor thread. Honestly, I'm sorry but I'm never going to wear a face mask when biking. I need to be able to breathe. I'll seek out the empty streets instead. I'll wear my mask when I'm actually around other people, like at the grocery store.

I stopped using the shoal creek greenbelt because traffic has picked up. I still ride shoal creek (the street) but it is getting busier. Great Northern is an alternative but only if you ride opposite the bike lanes. 

My new game is trying to find alternative streets that are not crowded. I would wear a mask on a bike, but only if it is mandated by the law. Clearly nobody had done actual research on this particular disease so that is why we do not have clarity from our government. I'll follow any laws, but I am skeptical of 95% of the stories out there now. Most are what I term "Schrödinger's disease" - on one hand "you have to do this because this is how these diseases work", also "this is like nothing we have ever seen before." 

Basically there are a ton of stories where some doctor says "well, I guess that cooooould happen" and suddenly this is carved in stone. And then people in my neighborhood wear masks in their own cars.

I am trying to wear a mask when I ride and run for two reasons. 1) It is a very small sacrifice for a potentially large gain. 2) If I have to pass someone and they have a mask on, I worry less about them coughing or sneezing at just the wrong moment. I appreciate that and think it’s only right that I return the favor.

It’s really not a big deal to do it. I wear a thin buff and know that it does very little to protect me. However, I wear it less for me and more for anyone I happen to get close to. I also try and avoid people as much as possible but I’ve got that down to an art!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Tree Magnet said:

and know that it does very little to protect me. However, I wear it less for me and more for anyone I happen to get close to. 

This is true of basically EVERY mask, except the N95 ones and those only work if they are worn PERFECTLY. 

But wearing a mask can help stop the spread of the virus, from you to others, and that's one of the most important things right now.

• Like 2