IGNORED

Thumper

circuitbreaker

If you can let me know the general area of the (worst) fallen tree(s), I may be able to take a hike out there with my teen boys and clear some of them up once the weather drys out.  All I'm looking for is early, mid, later portion of trail?  Or if you can give location(s) based on major trail features: after the 1st water crossing, near the broken swingset, etc...

Thanks
CJB

14 hours ago, CBaron said:

If you can let me know the general area of the (worst) fallen tree(s), I may be able to take a hike out there with my teen boys and clear some of them up once the weather drys out.  All I'm looking for is early, mid, later portion of trail?  Or if you can give location(s) based on major trail features: after the 1st water crossing, near the broken swingset, etc...

Thanks
CJB

my memory has faded over the weekend, but pretty sure two trees were down on the early portion of the trail. i think one before 'the summit' and one  when you're headed back from that direction. and then there is a giant tree split in three at the very end (bottom of the climb out), that has been there for a while.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, attaboy said:

I’m suspect anyone actually rides there. Wonder how long multiple trees have been across the trail; Have been the times I’ve hiked . . errr, ridden there (with the exception of just before EB when some awesome people clear them).

People definitely ride thumper. but i would say its the least popular trail around here, which is a bit of a shame, because the location is great and so is the terrain. but it is an intimidating and confusing trail. My understanding is that the original trail builders didn't intend for this to be a heavy traffic trail? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Dan said:

How does Thumper difficultly compare to Double Down? I’ve been wanting to check it out but have been slow to leave the comfort of known trails.

It's so different that it's hard to compare.  Less step-ups/downs more up and down and lots of switchbacks and off-camber sections.  Lots of g-outs.  I think it's a harder workout.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dan said:

How does Thumper difficultly compare to Double Down? I’ve been wanting to check it out but have been slow to leave the comfort of known trails.

I would say similar riding level, but as Antonio suggests its a different kind of difficult. Just a bit of warning, it is really confusing the first 3-4 times until you figure out which way to go. I could possibly give you a tour. (and you'll still be lost the second time you go out there.)

• Like 2

Its already been referenced here, but IMHO the difficulty is not so much in the tech (and there IS some tech), but in the challenge of threading together the sections of the trail in a way that doesn't overwhelm you.  I know that this sounds like it wouldn't be an issue, but listen to the MTB zeitgeist out there...its eats people's lunch.  I personally love the place, but few people do.  And curcuitbreaker is right, over the course of the past 5+ yrs the route has gotten a bit more convoluted, making it hard to follow.  That being said, before the EB last year we went out there and added 'our own' set of signs marking the "MTN BIKE" route through there (its really the EB route).  So if one pays attention, its is POSSIBLE to make the EB route out there now outside of the event.

In summary though, I'd say that if your comfortable making a stead laps thru DD, then you have what it takes to make it through Thumper (save the route finding).  And I too would be willing to show up and join a Thumper lap sometime (soon?).

Later,
CJB

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Just now, AustinBike said:

I am planning to do some hiking with a friend next week. If someone gives me the permission I'll pack a folding saw.

This may be bigger than a folding saw can handle but it's never stopped me from trying before.  I have a battery powered 12" chainsaw which should do quick work of this as well.

• 11 months later...

I hiked Thumper backwards and I only got through the loop after the doubled-back section of the trail.  The trail is in overall good condition for Thumper (i.e. lots of marbles, some baseball size rocks and leaves this time of year).  I picked up the kind of stuff that will jam in your derraileur and break it or bend it.  The only rocks I moved were single large rocks that were obviously displaced and would cause people to widen the trail.  Same for sticks or face slappers.  There are a few trees that seem to have been down for a while and now the trail has changed (mostly really minor re-routes) so I didn't mess with those.  I cleared punji sticks that were pretty dangerous.  Someone had trimmed them but I think the trees came down further and now they were at eye poke level.  There are still places where we'll need to dismount and walk under trees, and there is one large tree that is precariously balanced on the stump. I sent @TAF coordinates but if you follow me on Strava you'll see where.  I can also send you the pin drop if you have time to clear it this evening.  The only leaves I cleared were in one section where the trail was completely obscured and I also piled up deadfall on the edge of the turn.  Everywhere else, be ready for hidden stuff under the big maple leaves as is normal for Thumper.  In the first part where you go left onto the double-back trail, the arrows have been removed from the tree.  You will see pieces of the signs on there and I think someone marked the trail with orange ribbons.  It used to be white was bikes, and blue was hiking only trails.  I'm not sure what orange arrows are but at this point I saw one.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Thumper needs some love after the ice storm.  I've been out there 2x's this week clearing trail and it looks like we will be needing to schedule a work-day.  Wanted to bump this thread up as a foreshadowing to the word day call-out.  Details to come...

Later,
CJB

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Needs more work.  

Here is a recent map I've been updating as the cleanup progresses.  It may look like more work is done that what really is.  Even the areas marked "known clear" still have some stuff hear & there that needs attention.  "Known Clear" actually means that you can now easily traverse this area on foot; its still not rideable.

Cheers,
CJB

69923611684__D6D4C54D-185C-433C-AAAD-CEF7B23F5EBD.jpg