IGNORED

What ya readin? Share your thoughts on books, magazines, and articles!

Dan

7 hours ago, hurronnicane said:

l’ve heard that the audio book version is good.  If you need a lot of action you may be disappointed, but it is a well told story.

I usually line up a few, so as not to be disappointed -- or bored.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/2/2022 at 12:52 AM, AntonioGG said:

Watching or reading?

watching. it was obvious from the first episode that this is based on a series of novels. I might want to go back and read them some day, but the show might have spoiled all the surprises already.

*Edit* d'oh! I thought this was the "what are you watching?" discussion.

Edited by mack_turtle

• 2 months later...

Arranged my Heinlein collection chronologically by publish date and have been working my way through the novels. Currently reading To Sail Beyond the Sunset.

Will follow up with a dive into several collections of his short stories.

Truly amazing how much about the future he envisioned so well, and by decades ahead. It wouldn't surprise me to find that Elon got many of his ideas of how the world could be from reading RAH (and other SciFi) as a young man.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ridenfool said:

Arranged my Heinlein collection chronologically by publish date and have been working my way through the novels. Currently reading To Sail Beyond the Sunset.

Will follow up with a dive into several collections of his short stories.

Truly amazing how much about the future he envisioned so well, and by decades ahead. It wouldn't surprise me to find that Elon got many of his ideas of how the world could be from reading RAH (and other SciFi) as a young man.

All he had to watch is Knight Rider in 1982.  I just watched episodes 1-3 (so cheesy it's good) on Netflix.

Asimov in a short story ("Sally") predicted self-driving cars first appeared in 2015.  Considering how wrong sci-fi in general is about predicting the future, that's amazingly close (and we don't have to drive about self-driving level 3 here...)

15 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

All he had to watch is Knight Rider in 1982.  I just watched episodes 1-3 (so cheesy it's good) on Netflix.

Asimov in a short story ("Sally") predicted self-driving cars first appeared in 2015.  Considering how wrong sci-fi in general is about predicting the future, that's amazingly close (and we don't have to drive about self-driving level 3 here...)

In 1984 Orwell predicted tv’s that watched back. The government taps into mics and cameras on smartphones, computer & tablets on a regular basis. 

17 hours ago, Chongo Loco said:

In 1984 Orwell predicted tv’s that watched back. The government taps into mics and cameras on smartphones, computer & tablets on a regular basis. 

You know what Gloria Estefan said, "The guvmnt is going to get you"

...wait...maybe it was the rhythm?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2022 at 8:41 PM, hurronnicane said:

Currently reading this and enjoying it.  It was a random find in the new arrivals at the local library.

C456BC47-4D5C-4B45-8A08-23EA6950E418.jpeg

Austin Public Library has this available as an audiobook in the Libby app. The stories of scandal over women "taking to the wheel" and "turning in their skirts for bloomers" are hilariously quaint now. people absolutely lost their minds over riding bikes all the time, and were horrified that women were gaining freedom because of bikes.

• Like 1

Over the past several months I've re-read all of the Heinlein on my shelves (nearly every book published).

Then, I took on Azimov's Foundation and Robot series of books. At this point I am scrounging more Azimov, like the Galactic Empire stories, his detective stories, and may go looking into other books by him to add to the shelf. I like his style.

After doing that, the thought of drifting back into a re-read of Douglas Adams' works is likely to be on the map. The five book Hichhikers' trilogy, and the Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective books. Adams has an inspirational quality that is easy to absorb and apply.

Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat books could be next after that.

This is all part of a tried and true periodic manitenance program that may be considered a form of brain debugging. When performed every decade or so it helps sustain a healthy, balanced perspective for dealing with the more ironical* aspects of life, the universe, and everything in a way that, when a moment arrives which is not particularly pleasant, can at least be found to be humorous when viewed properly. 😏

(* a Bushism)

• Like 2