IGNORED

State Parks Closing

4 hours ago, SuperSlow said:

Also just read that all Austin City Parks/Trails/Greenbelts/Preserves are to be closed this weekend.  I would expect Wilco to follow suit.

Edit to add looks like all Travis County parks closed this weekend.

I am confused by all of this. There was a story earlier that was poorly worded to say that all parks *IN* Travis County would be closed Easter weekend.When on the City of Austin web site that was no such closure reported.

When I go to this CBS story https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/austin-to-close-all-city-parks-and-trails-for-easter-weekend it say all City parks would be closed including the Butler Hike & Bike trail. Near the end of that story gives the link for more info. That link takes me to map of City of Austin trails including Butler Hike & Bike Trail, BCGB, VCT, SWCT, etc. The splash screen in front on the map says that all 'assets shown are open during Coronavirus Event'.

There is a LOT of misleading information out there. I don't know what to believe.

Added - Now I find a KXAN story that says 'if its on that map, it is closed'.  Hmmmmm - what to believe???  https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavirus/austin-to-close-all-parks-for-easter-weekend/?fbclid=IwAR0VGreg3l6fZJNoOPzYxhugbAoJlBpeLmAx82-7kqd9Wa0Jkre_2lHizFc

Edited by cxagent
Added last paragraph.

I gotta say as much as I hate not being able to ride trails, the round town rides have been awesome as there's very low traffic. I've been mixing in East of Austin gravel loops with some trails and hills on my Focus CX bike. I bring my bandana for stops. Early am is really weird without cars. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bart said:

I gotta say as much as I hate not being able to ride trails, the round town rides have been awesome as there's very low traffic. I've been mixing in East of Austin gravel loops with some trails and hills on my Focus CX bike. I bring my bandana for stops. Early am is really weird without cars. 

can you share some maps of these routes? I am always up for these kind of urban rides.

26 minutes ago, Bart said:

I gotta say as much as I hate not being able to ride trails, the round town rides have been awesome as there's very low traffic. 

I totally agree.  You'd be forgiven for thinking that road riding is actually pretty damn fun.  In fact, I found myself shopping for a new gravel rig to replace my old cyclo-cross bike for exploring.  It's amazing how far you can get when you can ride at close to 20 mph without too much effort.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Tree Magnet said:

I totally agree.  You'd be forgiven for thinking that road riding is actually pretty damn fun.  In fact, I found myself shopping for a new gravel rig to replace my old cyclo-cross bike for exploring.  It's amazing how far you can get when you can ride at close to 20 mph without too much effort.

I too have an old CX bike that I use for exploring. What are you looking for in a new gravel rig that your old CX bike doesn't have?

I too have an old CX bike that I use for exploring. What are you looking for in a new gravel rig that your old CX bike doesn't have?

This is a perfectly logical question that does nothing to help me justify buying a new gravel bike. Damnit.

Anyway, my old CX bike has a nice Cannondale al frame, disc brakes, comfortable geometry, old MTB 3x9 drive train, King hubs (thanks new MTB standards) laced to tubeless grail hoops. It really doesn’t need anything. However, some day I dream about doing a bike packing trip or something. It might not be good for that. Shit....I guess I don’t need a new gravel bike but I can still want one. They look cool and they’re new and shiny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Tree Magnet said:

This is a perfectly logical question that does nothing to help me justify buying a new gravel bike. Damnit.

Anyway, my old CX bike has a nice Cannondale al frame, disc brakes, comfortable geometry, old MTB 3x9 drive train, King hubs (thanks new MTB standards) laced to tubeless grail hoops. It really doesn’t need anything. However, some day I dream about doing a bike packing trip or something. It might not be good for that. Shit....I guess I don’t need a new gravel bike but I can still want one. They look cool and they’re new and shiny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, I would never intentionally talk you out of a new bike. I was thinking that there was some geometry/handling differences between an older CX bike designed for racing and a gravel bike designed for exploring.