IGNORED

Northern Walnut Creek Trail possibly at risk

TAF

Well, I won't quite say we've been thrown under the bus, but we're coming close. The Campo board, following Mayor Adler's lead, voted overwhelmingly to transfer $633m of funding from already-approved local projects and instead throw it at a managed-lane I-35 project - not what I would call local, and it'll probably make no difference to traffic. The final list of projects to be cut has not yet been decided, so there will be additional time for public feedback, but listening to the Campo meeting (which I did, you can thank me later) it sounds like most of the voting board are not cyclists or don't care about things like the North Walnut Creek Trail and the Big Loop.

One or two members of the public - as well as Commissioner Shea - spoke pointedly about how these local projects had been approved and promised, and now that promise was being reneged upon ... Forest Ridge, anyone?

A decent summary can be found here:

https://www.austinmonitor.com/stories/2020/04/campo-commits-633-million-to-i-35-without-a-final-list-of-cut-projects/

• Like 1

How much time allotment does one get when taking a spot to publicly speak at these meetings?  

Someone should put together a brief comparison video of the "before & after" effects of having the WC pathway in place.  You could highlight the change in safety (now that people are using areas formerly dwelt by nefarious activity), change in public health (now that families w/kids, retired people, dog walkers, & fitness people are out using these spaces [thus removing some burden from actual parklands]), increase in property values (due to a higher desirability to live near resources like the pathway).  IMHO, I think all of this could easily be condensed into a well edited, feel-good video of about 2 minutes?  Hit'm in the feels, but with good strong facts/logic!

*EDIT*
I was initially (& quietly) against the WC pathway that was planned to come through the actual WC park.  I've live in North Austin since 96' and had ridden and worked on those trails for nearly 20 yrs.  I was bummed that some of the little nuggets of trail, in that quiet part of town, was going to get mowed over for a concrete path.  However looking back, I have to say that I was wrong.  What that little concrete path did (see above) to the area was a very large positive.  Not to mention it helped us get some quality single track added back into the park.  But I love seeing all the people out enjoying nature that would never have been out there before.  Additionally, that section around Metric was a 'rough' place to be (especially at night).  I'd ridden through/around there more than I cared.  Lastly, I've 100% seen that area increase in value and livability somewhat directly related to the concrete pathway (and also proximity to The Domain)

Edited by CBaron
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, CBaron said:

How much time allotment does one get when taking a spot to publicly speak at these meetings?

3 minutes, but if the last meeting was anything to go by, these people can barely mute their microphones, let alone allow a third party to share a screen.

3 minutes ago, CBaron said:

Where there's a will there's a way.  I have zero editing skills, and I'm not terribly techy, but I do care about outdoor resources in my city and I'm willing to problem solve.  

Not disagreeing, but here's to hoping the Clerk at CAMPO - who was managing the powerpoint feed - feels the same way. You could certainly talk for three minutes, if nothing else.

Yeah, and I'm certainly not against doing some talking.  I just feel like in our modern age of 'video feels' something produced could be more impactful.  And I'm not against bringing in a laptop, projector and portable mini screen to project onto if necessary.  (I think my neighbor owns most of that)

Later,
CJB

13 minutes ago, TAF said:

Gotcha - I was working on the assumption that the meeting would be Zoom-style, as the last one was. Perhaps by early June they will be back to meeting in person.

Good point!!  I guess the optimist in me never considered we wouldn't be back there in person soon(ish).  But you are correct, we may have to problem solve vitrually!!

Cheers,
CJB

On 4/30/2020 at 3:42 PM, Teamsloan said:

I'm pretty sure I just saw that the relocation of funds has been approved. Now we can look forward to I-35 being perfect right?

They have not yet determined which already-approved projects will now have their funding revoked in order to pay for the boondoggle.

• 1 month later...

For those who have been following along, I have an update. CAMPO have announced a meeting of the Transportation Policy Board on Monday, June 8. Agenda Item 6 reads as follows:

This action will defer $633 million in currently funded projects to be reallocated to the IH-35 Capital Express Project. Individual projects selected for deferral will be removed from the 2021-2024 Transportation Improvement Program but may be included in future TIP amendments as additional funding becomes available from state and federal sources.

I've attached an edited version of their spreadsheet, which initially looked as though it had been designed as a middle-school project. Under scenarios A, B and C, the recommendation is to defer funding for the N Walnut Creek Trail (I assume they mean Section 2, which continues east from Walnut Creek Park to I-35) until some unstated time in the future. You can sign up to speak at the meeting if you so wish, but it sounds like they have already made up their minds - don't expect the 'Big Loop' to be built anytime soon, or as CXAgent would say, 'in my lifetime'.

CAMPO funding spreadsheet.xlsx

Edited by TAF