IGNORED

New bike: What travel do you use for Austin trails?

*edit*Went with the Guerrilla Gravity Smash! Now just to wait 3-4 weeks... Thank you everyone for your ideas and help!*edit*

Currently on a beginner hardtail with 100mm travel up front and I bottom out frequently on Deception in Brushy Creek. Going to a full suspension and I've chosen to pick up a Guerrilla Gravity bike to replace the hardtail and I'm trying to choose between the Smash(150mm and more all mountain/enduro) and the Trail Pistol(130mm and more XC/trail oriented).

The Trail Pistol seems perfect for my main riding area(Brushy Creek) but I do want to start going out to Spider Mountain(never been) and get into more jumping and drops which seem to be more all mountain/enduro. 

https://ridegg.com/products/trailpistol?option=Ride
https://ridegg.com/products/thesmash?option=Ride

I'm going with the base model(budget) of whichever one but I do have some room to upgrade one item. If you could only upgrade one, which would you choose? Suspension, brakes, drive, wheels?

Edited by quixoft

If you ride Brushy or similar 80% of the time, buy something that is fit for Brushy. 

If you ride spider mtn or similar 80% of the time, buy something that is fit for spider mtn. 

IMO buying a bike for the 3 weekends a year you go to spider/Moab/Durango is a bad decision. Been there, done that. 

Edited by bestbike85
  • Like 3

There is no one answer. It's all personal preference. I'd go with the Smash if it were me even without Spider MTN being a consideration. That's just icing on the cake. Brushy has some pretty big jumps and chunk too. I've never been overly concerned with weight our efficiency. Again, just my preference. 

• Like 1

In general, the answer to this question: What travel do you use for Austin trails?

i think the answer is 130 is plenty.

But if you want a smash, get a smash, they are awesome bikes. and the weight penalty is minimal. If you're into long rides, and pedaling more, than TrailPistol might be a better fit.

Either way you're getting an awesome bike, that will be able to handle more than you can throw at it.

• Like 3

I ride a Smash. I have one of the last aluminum ones they made. To me, it’s perfect for Brushy Creek. It pedals better than my 120mm Camber I had before. I’ve also ridden it quite a few times at Spider Mountain, even the double black trail, and it’s awesome there also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I don’t think you can go wrong with either. I rode a 130 trail bike for two years out at brushy and it was great. I also rode all the trails at spider on it and didn’t feel under gunned. That being said I crack the rear triangle on that bike (I think from a rock strike) and used all the parts to build up a steel hardtail that rides great at brushy, so my next bike will be a longer travel enduro bike to have a little more cush for spider, days, when I do shorter rides at brushy that will include sessioning  the 10ft drop on snail, free ride 512 trails and Enduro races. 

12 minutes ago, Chief said:

A 120-130 bike is plenty for most of Centex riding. I'm on a 120 and ride Brushy regularly, have also been to Spider with it and I was definitely not under biked.

Speaking of downcountry bikes, the new YT entry is looking might sharp and has some intriguing geo! 

image.thumb.png.f0acea3072bafec7af2e4bc4c83bcd9a.png

Think i mentioned this in your other thread but 100-120mm 29" FS is tough to beat in CTX. Id look for closer to 120mm as the suspension is easier to tune because you aren't working with so little shock stroke. Plus it'll give you a little extra cushion for fast chunk and drops etc.  Stick with an aluminum frame featuring better components than carbon with cheap stuff that'll wear out in 6 months.

Hard to beat for the price plus can be had local. House brand components aren't the best but a good start.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bikes-trance-29

Killer price on an often overlooked brand/option for CTX. Some local dealers too

https://www.treefortbikes.com/Salsa-MY19-Horsethief-SLX-Bike?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=&scid=scplp33322243554813&sc_intid=33322243554813&gclid=CjwKCAjw7e_0BRB7EiwAlH-goJZM7bfBRuV1kj_oboS0IlP86OnrCQ6ckZLbtk9A9q92qKU22QOIsxoCpNQQAvD_BwE

Deservedly one of the current "cool kids" for modern short travel 29 progression. 

https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/tallboy

Pushing the limits for weight and travel but great bike for the price. mail order only

https://www.commencalusa.com/PBSCCatalog.asp?ActionID=67174912&PBCATID=3717907

Great all rounder

https://www.norco.com/bikes/2020/mountain/trail/fluid-fs-aluminum/fluid-fs-1/

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 3

On 4/18/2020 at 11:08 AM, quixoft said:

Currently on a beginner hardtail with 100mm travel up front and I bottom out frequently on Deception in Brushy Creek. Going to a full suspension and I've chosen to pick up a Guerrilla Gravity bike to replace the hardtail and I'm trying to choose between the Smash(150mm and more all mountain/enduro) and the Trail Pistol(130mm and more XC/trail oriented).

The Trail Pistol seems perfect for my main riding area(Brushy Creek) but I do want to start going out to Spider Mountain(never been) and get into more jumping and drops which seem to be more all mountain/enduro. 

https://ridegg.com/products/trailpistol?option=Ride
https://ridegg.com/products/thesmash?option=Ride

I'm going with the base model(budget) of whichever one but I do have some room to upgrade one item. If you could only upgrade one, which would you choose? Suspension, brakes, drive, wheels?

I am in the process of moving from a 130mm to a 160mm travel bike.  For me, it wasn't solely about travel, but also about moving from a bike with slightly outdated geometry to something with "modern" geometry.  Since you are trying to choose between 2 new bikes you really don't have the issue of modern vs. dated geometry, so it's really going to boil down to personal preference and what trade-offs you are willing to make.  Longer travel is going to be heavier, probably a bit less efficient, but is going to give you the possibility of hitting bigger features without bottoming out or stressing the limits of your suspension.  Even though I'm going to a longer travel bike, I rarely felt like I was being held back by my suspension on my old bike.  Granted, my travel indicators were maxed out after just about every ride, but I never really felt like I was bottoming out.  I love Spider and bought a season pass early on, so I've probably made 15+ trips out there over the past year.  If I was only going out there a few times a year, I certainly wouldn't worry about getting a bike that's better suited for that style of riding.

As for your question about upgrading, it's hard to answer because the options you mentioned are pretty different, price-wise.  Suspension and wheels are pretty costly upgrades ($1000 range), but brakes and drive train components are relatively cheap in comparison.  Are you thinking you will upgrade from the manufacturer, or are you thinking you'll do this once you get the bike?

Not knowing what your upgrade budget is it's tough to pick one.  Is GG giving you the okay to upgrade by selecting one of the items off of the higher builds or would you be buying the upgrade yourself and replacing?

If it's the former then my personal order would be suspension, wheels, drive then brakes.  If it's the latter then olddbrider is right while you can find some deals suspension and wheels are going to be expensive.  I would purchase, ride then upgrade later.  Both of those builds are good.  High end suspension and wheels can make a big difference but they are costly and the rider is still the most important part of the equation.

2 hours ago, Txduc said:

Not knowing what your upgrade budget is it's tough to pick one.  Is GG giving you the okay to upgrade by selecting one of the items off of the higher builds or would you be buying the upgrade yourself and replacing?

If it's the former then my personal order would be suspension, wheels, drive then brakes.  If it's the latter then olddbrider is right while you can find some deals suspension and wheels are going to be expensive.  I would purchase, ride then upgrade later.  Both of those builds are good.  High end suspension and wheels can make a big difference but they are costly and the rider is still the most important part of the equation.

GG allows for the upgrades. I went ahead and upgraded the suspension as that seems to be the most bang for your buck. Ordering today! 

Thank you everyone for the info!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, quixoft said:

GG allows for the upgrades. I went ahead and upgraded the suspension as that seems to be the most bang for your buck. Ordering today! 

Congratulations on the new bike. You gonna let us know which you decided on?

2 hours ago, quixoft said:

Excellent what did you do fork and shock or just one?

18 minutes ago, Txduc said:

Excellent what did you do fork and shock or just one?

Both.  I looked at the costs of the upgrade if I bought them later and decided adding a few hundred now and going over budget is better than $1500 later to upgrade. 

Not that I'm actually a good enough rider to push the limits!

Edited by quixoft

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/15/2020 at 6:36 PM, Looking for help said:

Question for the group, YT Jeffsy which is more of an all mountain bike with 150mm or the new Izzo which is 130mm of travel and is 2-3 lbs lighter?

I'd be taking a very close look at that Izzo if I was in the market for a new everyday bike. The Canyon Neuro and Pivot Trail 429 would probably also be on the short list.  

• Like 2

On 5/15/2020 at 6:36 PM, Looking for help said:

Question for the group, YT Jeffsy which is more of an all mountain bike with 150mm or the new Izzo which is 130mm of travel and is 2-3 lbs lighter?

Izzo and it’s not even close. The lowest end model for 3k is a ridiculous deal. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Wow the downcountry category is getting downright crowded these days with recent new entrants from Yeti (SB115) and Transition (Spur). Nice to have choices, especially considering how well suited these short-travel rigs are for our Centex terrain. 

image.thumb.png.8c7319b28d1c8c158135e0f2000d6e21.png

• Like 3

What I find incredible is how we can have short travel rigs capable of hitting above their weight class on chunky downhills while at the same time we have long travel enduro rigs that can darn near keep up with the XC race machines on the techy climbs. You truly can have it all now, so pick your poison (or get both 🙂 ). We live in a great time.

edit: But put that Revel Range on my shortlist for my downcountry pick. If I didn't have my Ripmo, their Rascal would be in my garage. Their suspension linkage is great.

Edited by Teamsloan
  • Like 4