IGNORED

Commuter tires 29" need recommendations

OK, this is a pain in the ass. I have a commuter that is basically my pavement/urban bike. 20 miles per day of use. I had puncture resistant tubes in it (700mm on 29" rims - yeah, go on and say it....)

Anyway, for the last 12-18 months the setup was great. Then 4 days ago I ran over a safety pin, popped the puncture resistant tube. Put in the spare from my pack. 3 days ago that one goes flat. Not from the pin (took that out), couldn't find anything inside the tire. Put a fresh spare in my pack. 2 days ago? Yep. Found a sharp stone in the tire, definitely would have noticed that. 

So, the TL;DR - my urban tires are probably getting worn down.

Threw some old Ardents on it for now, air is holding so I will dump some Stan's in. But I hate mountain bike tires on the streets, they are slow and bumpy.

Clearly I need new tires, but I can't find a decent urban tire that is tubeless.

I could also go with slime tubes.

I like the idea of puncture resistant tires because the city is doing a shitty job of keeping street clear these days.

I have 2 pairs of 700mm tires (one gravel, one urban) but I can't get either onto these rims (29").

So, fire away, what would you do?

I bought some panaracer gravel kings 700x50 and set them up tubeless on 29” rims on my karate monkey and they spin great. I just think it looks funny because the KM is meant to have a wider tire on it. I’m actually thinking about getting rid of them and going with Surly Extraterrestrial 29x2.5. If you’re interested in them let me know. 

1463F12C-E881-424B-9DE1-38F69FBD2567.jpeg

6AA27A69-950F-460B-BC35-AEB720DDA41C.jpeg

• Like 1

I've run big-apples before on our TF 'monster fixie' and they were fine.  But 700c and 29er should be interchangeable (given appropriate widths).  You never mention which rims you are running?  I've got some 1st gen Stan's Crest on my gravel bike and they are BY FAR the hardest rim to mount a tire on.  I've had Vittoria 28c road tires on it, WTB 44c and recently Schwalbe 42c and every single one was a BITCH to install.  And I consider myself a world class tire installer.  🙂

Later,
CJB

Stan's specifically states that WTB tires do not fit on their rims.

... well, they used to have a "recommended tires" list on their site, but they took it down. if I remember correctly, they said that WTB tubeless tires specifically do not work on their rims. if you've ever destroyed your hands trying to wedge these two things together, you understand why. the same is probably also true for tires that are designed to fit tight. Stans rims were originally designed to allow otherwise loose-fitting tires to seal up.

1 minute ago, mack_turtle said:

Stan's specifically states that WTB tires do not fit on their rims.

... well, they used to have a "recommended tires" list on their site, but they took it down. if I remember correctly, they said that WTB tubeless tires specifically do not work on their rims. if you've ever destroyed your hands trying to wedge these two things together, you understand why. the same is probably also true for tires that are designed to fit tight. Stans rims were originally designed to allow otherwise loose-fitting tires to seal up.

Yep, lots of this.

This was back around 2010 and I was trying to put together a lightwieght aluminum rim wheel setup that could be run tubeless on my custom welded disc brake equipped Surly Crosshceck.  I had a few conversations with them and they gave guidance on tire selection (both road and gravel).  But I'm pretty certain this was before they'd truly figured things out anyways.  These things are so hard to get tires on that the plastic tire levers gouge the yellow stan's tape so bad that it inhibits the air-tightness of the setup.  Once the tire(s) get mounted and stretched over time, they are better.  But inital setup is tough.

Back on topic though, depending on rim width, @AustinBike should have options of urban tires to run in both gravel, cross or road options.  700c = 29er rim diamter.

Later,
CJB  

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for but I use Schwalbe Big Apple's on my commuter (rigid 29er).  Smooth tread for decent roll but big volume to give some cushion for urban riding (sidewalks, etc.).  They're Kevlar-lined.  I ran over an industrial staple once and it got stuck in tire (noticed metal clanking noise as it hit frame) but it didn't puncture tire.  Never really got a flat when I was doing 10 mile commutes through center of town. 

Wife and I just went through this converting our trailbikes for road rides around our area during coronageddon. Did the 29x2.1 WTBs thickslicks on hers and just a 29x2.5 rear hookworm on mine. None are tubeless but the WTB worked fine on the arch hoops and the maxxis on the enve. I'd recommend the hookworm over the WTB if you have the room as they do have some tread that can hadle the occasional gravel or moisture you may encounter.

Oh and those WTbs added almost 3lbs to my wifes bike over 2.35s snakeskin schwalbes 🤣

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Maxxis-Hookworm-29-x-2-50-Tire-Steel-60tpi-Single-Compound/283215734097?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

IMG_20200414_191337408 (1).jpg

Edited by ATXZJ

3 hours ago, CBaron said:

I've run big-apples before on our TF 'monster fixie' and they were fine.  But 700c and 29er should be interchangeable (given appropriate widths).  You never mention which rims you are running?  I've got some 1st gen Stan's Crest on my gravel bike and they are BY FAR the hardest rim to mount a tire on.  I've had Vittoria 28c road tires on it, WTB 44c and recently Schwalbe 42c and every single one was a BITCH to install.  And I consider myself a world class tire installer.  🙂

Later,
CJB

Wheels are 29” WTB i23. The 2 tires I could not get on the rims easily were ~32mm or so 700 tires.

3 hours ago, AustinBike said:

The two pair of 700mm tires that I tried were not working on my rims 😞

For reference this is what I am thinking about now, ~$55 delivered from the UK for a pair:

https://www.merlincycles.com/schwalbe-big-ben-plus-urban-performance-tyre-29-163068.html

But then I am back to tubes...

Those look like slightly narrower version of Big Apple - you can get them here (in US) for cheaper - https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/schwalbe-big-ben-plus-hs-439-29-tire

They also have the Big Apples if you want to compare.

3 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

stick to your guns- go tubeless. are the rims easy to set up tubeless? what width are you looking for?
check out Guitar Ted's generous collection of "gravel" tires.

Running tubeless For now while I sort this out.  An old ardent and a forekaster on it. Rides like a dog, knob it’s on streets suck. 

Using Maxxis Re-Fuse 700x 40c  on  Vuelta XRP 29er rims.  The Re-Fuse is a textured slick that is considered a gravel/adventure tire and can be run tubeless. 

Maxxis Re-Fuse

One flat or maybe two in over two years of use, including riding 3 x a week on Georgian Drive, the broken glass capital of Austin. 

4 hours ago, AustinBike said:

For reference this is what I am thinking about now, ~$55 delivered from the UK for a pair https://www.merlincycles.com/schwalbe-big-ben-plus-urban-performance-tyre-29-163068.html   But then I am back to tubes...

How much do those weigh?

Edited by June Bug

I was going to suggest the Schwalbe Big Apples, or the Maxxis Hookworms. 

For something a little different, take a look at Teravail Tires, their Cannonball 700x42 Durable Bead-To-Bead would give you some gravel capability, or their Rampart 700x42 Durable Sidewall would be good too but not as good flat protection. Both tires are tubeless ready. 

Also VeeTire has their "City Trekking" which looks burly! 700x42 flat protection and a reflective strip on the sidewall. Cheap too: $26.00

I struggled to find 700c commuter tires that were designated 'tubeless' for less than $100.  This doesn't make sense because I would think that commuting would be the scenario most likely to run into flat-inducing debris.  It's also the one time that you have a schedule and stopping to fix a flat would be a real problem.  I have a Maxxis Re-fuse and an Eagle All season on my cross bike right now.  They work fine and set up tubeless on Stans Grail rims without too much trouble.  I do wish they were a little tougher because I seem to get thorn holes and stuff that sealant has to patch all the time.  They haven't stranded me so I'm happy with them.

Never trust that a tire can't be set up tubeless until you try. I'm currently running a wheel/tire combo on my old CX bike that I never would have thought would work, but I was sick of buying tubes, so I just tried it. No problems whatsoever. 

5 hours ago, circuitbreaker said:

do you think you'll have any issue running the big ben's tubeless? i've never tried running random commuter tires tubeless.

We'll find out early next week. The Hartje (cheap) tires that I was using could not be set up tubeless. They were so loose that I could take the tire off the rim with one hand and hold a beer in the other. That is an important step of the process.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, notyal said:

Never trust that a tire can't be set up tubeless until you try. I'm currently running a wheel/tire combo on my old CX bike that I never would have thought would work, but I was sick of buying tubes, so I just tried it. No problems whatsoever. 

Exactly. There are "tubeless ready" and what I like to call "tubeless possible". So far ~80% of the non TR tires I have owned have worked fine so I have rarely paid the premium for TR if I did not need to. Basically I'll pay the extra money on Ardent TR tires because the TR have better sidewalls as well than that is on my "fun bike". But for the other bikes that are more knock around, I just make 'em tubeless if I can. Step one is see if you can get the tire to seat without Stans. If you can get it to hold over night for the most part, fill it with Stans and take it for a ride.