IGNORED

Commuter tires 29" need recommendations

I'm running Maxxis Icon 2.1s on my 29er monstercross/road/gravel bike.  Roll "pretty" good on road, and work well if you do venture onto gravel paths.  I do have at least one Kenda Smallblock Eight 700x32  as well as a Duro Acceler8er 700x32 you can have.  Both are Kevlar bead and should setup just fine.  YMMV

Put on the Schwalbe Big Ben tires and they feel great. They were 28" tires (ie. 700mm) but they are marketed as 29". Had no problem getting them on the bike, but definitely need tubes, I tried almost every tubeless trick but could not get them to hook up. Maybe it was the way they were folded in the box? I am going to put about 100 miles on them and give it another shot as they should be worked out better by that point.

Also got some tires for my other psuedo-urban Vassago from Taco Man and I will be working on those this week after the DT Swiss parts come in.

• 1 year later...

Throwing this on here to avoid starting a new thread on...Tubolito inner tubes! 

Tubolito says it’s impossible to get a puncture during “normal use” with their newly launched X-Tubo City/Tour inner tubes, and they’re backing that up with a one-year warranty against flats—providing a free replacement X-Tubo tube for any punctures within one year of registering. Tubolito also claims the X-Tubo City/Tours have a 24% lower rolling resistance and are up to 31% lighter than traditional tubes.

In terms of commuter bikes, the size is 700c, which should work with 29" wheels, and 30-50mm in width, again commuter-y.  Reviewed on bikepacker.com 

Comments are worth a look. 

TUBOLITO LAUNCHES “UNPUNCTURABLE” X-TUBO CITY/TOUR TUBES

57 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

But on a side note, the Schwalbe Marathon Plus might be my next tires if they are that good!

We have some friends who do multiple global bike tours each year.  They used the Schwalbe Maraton Plus for years but recently switched over to the Marathons for weight savings.  They had only one flat during all the Marathon Plus years -- a miniscule sliver of glass had worked its way through the tread and to the inner tube.  It took us over an hour to finally sort out what was causing the problem. 

18 hours ago, AustinBike said:

I run 29, so I need to look into their tires. The marathon plus is 700 and those do not fit on a 29 rim the same. 

622 millimeters is 622 millimeters, no matter if the rim is labeled 700C or 29". I've run tires labeled 700c-42 and 29x2.1 on the same rim with zero problems. Is there something else at play here that I am missing?

2 hours ago, AustinBike said:

I have struggled with certain 700C tires on my 29" rims but never had a problem with a 29" tire...

That must be an issue with that specific tire. Some manufacturers make tighter-fitting tires than others, regardless of labeled size, and some rims fit loose. I've had 700C tires that fit so loose on the rim that it's easy to blow out when the bead slips, and I've had 29er tires that almost need to be cut off with diagonal cutters once they are on the same rim.