IGNORED

Recommendations for a Hand Pump

So my 20 year old blackburn hand pump finally died. Wanted to see if yall have any recommendations on a good hand pump. The pump will live in my full sized hydration pack, so size is not an issue. Primary concern is just a good pump that works well when i need it to. Also, i ride rode on occasion, so it would be nice if it cold handle higher pressures. Weight would be a secondary concern.

I use a Topeak, not sure which model, it's several years old and not on their site, similar to this but with a gauge: https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/mini-pumps/308-peak-dx-ii.

The cool thing for me on that one is that once you pull the plunger out, the end turns around so that you can have a "t-handle" instead of a straight handle, which gives you more leverage. The other pumps I have with a straight handle are harder to pump up. Also, it has a gauge on it, it's crappy but it is a gauge. I find that if I have to pump up after a flat, when I am done I think yeah, that's full, and I am always stopping a mile later to put more air in, so the gauge helps me avoid that situation.

I also have a Lezyne similar to this one: https://ride.lezyne.com/collections/hand-pumps-high-pressure-road/products/1-mp-rddr-v2l04 that I found on the street one day. While it is really compact, you do have to take the hose out and connect it any time you want to use it, so that is an added pain. It only takes 15 seconds so in the grand scheme of things it won't kill you, but it is an additional step. They also make models with gauges. 

Crankbrothers Klic HV +Co2 is a good one for carrying in a pack as it's got a gauge is high volume and has the Co2 adapter.  It also has a hose which makes using it a bit easier.

https://www.crankbrothers.com/products/klic-hv-gauge-co2

Lately I've transitioned over to using a OneUp EDC pump attached to the bike.  It lacks the gauge and hose but has the Co2 adapter and  holds the EDC tool and a Co2 cartridge.  I like it because it means less in my pack but unfortunately it's not cheap at ~100 for the pump and EDC tool. 

https://www.oneupcomponents.com/products/edc-pump

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Txduc said:

Lately I've transitioned over to using a OneUp EDC pump attached to the bike.  It lacks the gauge and hose but has the Co2 adapter and  holds the EDC tool and a Co2 cartridge.  I like it because it means less in my pack but unfortunately it's not cheap at ~100 for the pump and EDC tool. 

https://www.oneupcomponents.com/products/edc-pump

+1. I've been using this for about a year now. I've got the multi tool, plugs, and patches all stored inside. Strap a tube to the frame and you've got everything you need in one hand package.

I saw the title to this thread and thought it could go multiple directions.  It didn't go the NSFW direction which means that it must have been posted in the morning before the day drinkers logged on.

My thoughts on hand pumps is much like my first aid kit.  I hope that I never need it but if I do, it better damn work.  However, with a pump, if it doesn't work, you're just walking out which could happen for any number of reasons.  The last two times I flatted (which doesn't happen often thanks to tubeless), I used a CO2 cartridge and it was awesome.  If I wasn't tubeless, it would be too expensive but I'll pay for the convenience.  I do keep a small hand pump in my big pack for longer rides but I don't know the brand other than it wasn't expensive and works with a presta valve.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ATXZJ said:

I have 2 hand pumps i dont use. lemme know if youre interested

Thanks for the offer, but i think i'd rather just buy the right one new. (and hope it lasts another 20 years)

20 minutes ago, Tree Magnet said:

I used a CO2 cartridge and it was awesome.  If I wasn't tubeless, it would be too expensive but I'll pay for the convenience. 

Yeah, i've never used CO2, because i always ride with a pack and my pump has always worked. i've ridden with other people who have used CO2 on rides, and i've seen kind of mixed results, but that may have been user error. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jcarneytx said:

Might be a newer version, but I use dual Crank Bros. Has low pressure and a high pressure setting. 

I have the same pump, love the two settings. Start with high volume to get the tire mostly inflated and then switch to high pressure to get it to the right pressure. It could probably work with road tires, but it'll take a while maybe. I keep it in my camelbak for back up.

I've moved to using CO2. It's so much more compact. I can take it along for shorter rides where I leave the pack behind. It's SOOOOO much faster and energy consuming. Lenzyne makes great inflators, but I currently have a Genuine Innovations inflator and it's super easy to use.

Running tubeless, I find it really helpful with tire plugs to inflate the tire quickly to get the sealant to seal around the plug. On the other hand, if I only need to top off the pressure then the pump is nice to use instead of opening up a fresh CO2 cartridge. The CO2 for when fixing a flat, the pump for adjustments. 🙂

• Like 1

If size and weight are not a concern the Morph pumps from Topeak are hard to beat. I rarely carry this anymore (I rarely wear a camelback) but would bring it on backcountry rides (think Colorado) or if I had a new tubeless setup or sketchy ongoing tubeless issue. It basically folds into a mini floor pump and you can pump a tire (repeatedly if necessary) without wearing yourself out too bad. I have even used it to seat new tubeless installs (albeit pretty straightforward rim/tire combinations).

https://planetcyclery.com/topeak-mountain-morph-frame-pump-pu1732?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-P3Mrf_56AIVRj0MCh0jwg-EEAQYAiABEgJ7kPD_BwE

• Like 1

Wife won what I think is a crank bros GemL that we've never used. Open to trades if anyone wants it.

Bought that specialized pump in 2012 and if you can still find one, cant recommend enough to someone willing to carry a pump in their pack. It's a 2 stage with a hose, that works on shocks and tires. Inflated a 29er pretty quick considering. Can tell you my hatred for handpumps without hoses is only exceeded by actually having to carry a handpump or backpack. 

IMG_20200421_122107093.jpg

IMG_20200421_122651578.jpg

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

I'm a big ban of the topeak morph series. I've been carrying either the mountain or mini for 10+ years. They have a fold out leg that makes it easy to pump against the ground like a shop pump. If I got a new one, I'd get one of the newer ones with an inline gauge. 

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/mini-pumps/248-mini-morph®

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/mini-pumps/245-mountain-morph®

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/mini-pumps/849-mini-morph®-g

That Spesh 2-stager looks awesome!  That would for sure do a road tire.

With road tires, they pump up fast, but the last few pumps to get to the higher pressure are extremely hard without a HP settinig.  My frame pump is a Topeak and I love it.  It's the one I didn't have with me when we rode together and you flatted.  It's a dual setting high volume or high pressure.  I've had it for 14 years and has never let me down.  I even went back to using the pump instead of CO2.

My MTB pump is also a Topeak and I love it.  It's ancient but it works.  It doesn't have a hose but I am OK with how to deal with it.  Just like Austinbike, what I really love are the handles that flip to a T like my old blackburn.  The blackburn didn't last as long as this Topeak though.

• Like 1

Oh shoot. Was it like this one? It's never failed me before and it's lasted forever maybe 20 years? I'm curious if there was a super race of Blackburn pumps out there that have been working for decades. I started carrying CO2 as a backup and despite never using any for myself I've given away a lot of cartridges. #worthit

But back to hand pumps... I've picked up a few extras over the years: winning, seeing something flashy in the bike store, spending an REI dividend on shit you don't need. The regular way bike stuff piles up in the garage... But this one has always been my favorite. It always gets the job done quickly without any service or lube over the years. Oh now I've typed long enough to see the long arc of verbosity bend towards the NSFW meaning of things. I'll stop. RIP Blackburn pump 😞

IMG_20200421_131727.thumb.jpg.b031c8d02c74480b0d65e809c83e9199.jpg

2 hours ago, taco_junkie said:

. RIP Blackburn pump 😞

IMG_20200421_131727.thumb.jpg.b031c8d02c74480b0d65e809c83e9199.jpg

Yep, that looks similar to mine. I think it probably actually still works, but i lost the spinny cap to hold the valve engagement pieces in. And mine is shaped a bit like a banana, because i've landed on my back a few times.

right now the topeak mini morph is at the top of my list.

thanks for all the recommendations. 

I have some CB dual action pump Ive used maybe 4 times in 10+ years.  Took it out of my pack 5+ years ago and just rely on CO2 now.  With the volume of tires so large now using those small pumps takes forever.  I swapped carrying the pump for a small hand saw to trim up branches as I ride.

I have a Lezyne Alloy Drive. it's fairly compact and the body is entirely aluminum. it's serviceable (I guess they all are to some degree.

the best feature is the rubber hose. I've seen people break valve stems while trying to pump a rigid pump that is connected, and the flexible hose on the Lezyne makes it a lot gentler. I stripped the threads inside my hose at one point and bought a replacement hose for a few bucks.

5 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

I have a Lezyne Alloy Drive. it's fairly compact and the body is entirely aluminum. it's serviceable (I guess they all are to some degree.

the best feature is the rubber hose. I've seen people break valve stems while trying to pump a rigid pump that is connected, and the flexible hose on the Lezyne makes it a lot gentler. I stripped the threads inside my hose at one point and bought a replacement hose for a few bucks.

+1 

love mine

On 4/21/2020 at 4:35 PM, circuitbreaker said:

Yep, that looks similar to mine. I think it probably actually still works, but i lost the spinny cap to hold the valve engagement pieces in. And mine is shaped a bit like a banana, because i've landed on my back a few times.

right now the topeak mini morph is at the top of my list.

thanks for all the recommendations. 

Here's my Blackburn. An old MMP-1. Still works great.

20200422_221653.jpg