IGNORED

Converting DT Swiss 350 hubs?

I have a rear DT Swiss wheel with a 350 hub. It is currently set up as a 5MM QR skewer and SRAM XD. What I really need is a Shimano freehub and 12x142 axle. (I could get by with a QR hub if I had to, but that entails changing out the dropouts any time I want to change wheelsets; I have the dropouts but that is a pain.)

I popped the end caps off and took the XD freehub off. as I understand it all I need at this point is:

New end caps - https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/products/dt-swiss-142-148-x-12mm-thru-axle-end-caps-for-2011-180-240-350-and-440

New freehub body - https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/products/dt-swiss-aluminum-9-10-speed-freehub-body-with-standard-bearing-fits-180-240-350-and-440-hubs

With these two pieces I can just put it all back together and have a 12x142 with a Shimano hub, right?

The reason I ask is that I would be going from 135 to 142, so isn't there something that I need to do with my rotor as well?

Edited by AustinBike

negative. Just swap the caps and the driver and you are good to go. Had to reduce my 142mm DT350 down to 135 for the DJ bike and just swapped caps. DT is the best when it comes to adaptability.

Have extra caps/drivers if you need a test fit.

If that is all I need then I'll just order the shit and get it here. No need to do a test fit if it is as easy as it seems. Had DT 240's in the past and loved them, great wheels. I was about to pay this one forward and go buy a cheap wheel but if for $100 I can get a DT Swiss, I'm all in.

I always start with the DT Swiss conversion charts. Pretty well done presentation, imo. Did you check the part numbers there? If you see a discrepancy between their site and your web retailer, I would seriously dig into it. It is possible that there is a cross reference compatibility but I would be careful if they don't line up.

https://www.dtswiss.com/en/support/conversion-charts/end-cap-solution-mtb-rear/

• Like 1

Yep, I used that chart. Basically the site called out free returns so the lazy man in me clicked the buy button because everything *looks* right and if it is not, it's the cost of shooting something back via UPS which is a cheap insurance policy.

The good news is the freehub body should work regardless of the axle and that solves 80% of my problem. The other 20% is more about convenience than anything else. The goal here is to turn my second Vassago into an urban bike with gears. Basically the problem I am solving for is the fact that it has really nice King wheels and a Pike on it. I now have a replacement rigid fork and cheap wheels. With those on the bike I am not as concerned about locking it up outside a bar. If bars are ever a thing again.

I did this with some Synchro wheels that came on my Scott Spark which are DT350 hubs. I went by MJ's and was surprises he had all the caps and a XD driver in stock. it's a real confusing nightmare with all the different spacing caps and drivers for different hubs over the yrs.