IGNORED

Local MTB Classes?

quixoft

Are there any MTB classes or training sessions around Austin? I grew up next to OP Schnabel Park in San Antonio and rode old BMX style bikes around that park as a kid in the 80s and early 90s but moved to Austin in the mid 90s and stopped riding. I picked up a mountain bike a couple years ago but only have done really super easy flat trail riding for the most part. Didn't really get into single track until the past 3 months or so around Brushy Creek.

I'm a freaking expert when it comes to watching youtube videos but I would like to take a class with an instructor at some point. They can actually see what I'm doing wrong with body positioning and such and help out.

Looks like Ninja Mountain Bike Performance does some classes at OP Schnabel in SA and that would be an option as my sister still lives in the house we grew up in that backs up to the park. Anyone heard of them or taken their classes?

Edited by quixoft

Bicycle Sport Shop had a series of classes before this whole thing started.  Level 1, Level 1.5, Level 2.  I wanted to take a class on cornering so I was going to sign up for Level 2 which mostly covered a lot of stuff I didn't need but I figured a review is not bad.  My wife took the Level 1 and I can tell you just one class made a huge difference in her riding.  There are also individuals that will coach you 1:1.  I'm sure some of them will respond to you.

Edited by AntonioGG
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

Bicycle Sport Shop had a series of classes before this whole thing started.  Level 1, Level 1.5, Level 2.  I wanted to take a class on cornering so I was going to sign up for Level 2 which mostly covered a lot of stuff I didn't need but I figured a review is not bad.  My wife took the Level 1 and I can tell you just one class made a huge difference in her riding.  There are also individuals that will coach you 1:1.  I'm sure some of them will respond to you.

That sounds perfect. I would much prefer to work with and pay a local individual for instruction. Any instructors on the board feel free to message me!

Just now, olddbrider said:

I know Team Trail Party has done clinics in the past and I believe the founder (?) does private lessons as well.  I think his name is Jeremiah (or something like that).

This was also an option suggested to me.  At some point I'll probably do this as well.

Many many years ago @Scorpionwoman (Claire) and I would put on 'free clinics' at City Park.  She would take the more beginner group and I'd take the intermediate group.  I think she'd work on basics and I primarily worked on drops and step ups.  Around the same time one of my (bike shop) customers offered to pay me to do a mini-group lesson (w/3-4ppl) for him and his friends.  That spun off into me doing a handful of those across a few years.  A few of the guys on this forum attended.  At the time, I'd schemed up another idea of doing an "ATX nemesis" clinic where over the course of a few weeks or so we'd cover tips & tricks to pulling off some of the local challenging spots on our trails (Root Drop, Nando's Elbow, Elephants Butt, Jock Strap, Etc..).  But I never got around to it.  Same concept cold be done for a 'highlights of Deception" too. 

If you don't end up finding what you are looking for I wouldn't be against trying to work something out.  I'm not riding as much as I was back then, and my schedule is (normally) a little busier, but I did find it fun and rewarding.  *NOTE* Claire was doing paid 'beginner clinics' and 1on1 quite a bit back then, so maybe she'll chime in here too.

Cheers,
Cody Baron
512-6nine4-one3one9

• Like 4

On 4/29/2020 at 10:50 AM, olddbrider said:

I know Team Trail Party has done clinics in the past and I believe the founder (?) does private lessons as well.  I think his name is Jeremiah (or something like that).

https://www.trailparty.com/clinics

Did the last one they had at RPR and it definitely improved my riding. Jeremiah and the TTP crew are awesome and there aren't many other classes locally where a guy that races on the EWS is giving you personal tips. The group ranged across all skills levels and they focused on making improvements on small features that could be translated up as you built your speed and skill on the bike.

I'm guessing each class is different, but they worked on body positioning and flat cornering, small jumps, and speed through rock gardens during our class.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2020 at 1:57 PM, CBaron said:

Many many years ago @Scorpionwoman (Claire) and I would put on 'free clinics' at City Park.  She would take the more beginner group and I'd take the intermediate group.  I think she'd work on basics and I primarily worked on drops and step ups.  Around the same time one of my (bike shop) customers offered to pay me to do a mini-group lesson (w/3-4ppl) for him and his friends.  That spun off into me doing a handful of those across a few years.  A few of the guys on this forum attended.  At the time, I'd schemed up another idea of doing an "ATX nemesis" clinic where over the course of a few weeks or so we'd cover tips & tricks to pulling off some of the local challenging spots on our trails (Root Drop, Nando's Elbow, Elephants Butt, Jock Strap, Etc..).  But I never got around to it.  Same concept cold be done for a 'highlights of Deception" too. 

If you don't end up finding what you are looking for I wouldn't be against trying to work something out.  I'm not riding as much as I was back then, and my schedule is (normally) a little busier, but I did find it fun and rewarding.  *NOTE* Claire was doing paid 'beginner clinics' and 1on1 quite a bit back then, so maybe she'll chime in here too.

Cheers,
Cody Baron
512-6nine4-one3one9

I highly recommend Claire instruction. I learned a TON and made some of my best riding buddies thru her classes. I even got my wife and father-in-law to take some classes and they got a lot out of them too.

I would probably like Cody's instruction too if I had ever made one of his classes.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

@CBaron is this the same Claire that would hang out at HH and started one EB without drinks and still rode the whole BCGB section?

No that's a different Claire.  She's still around a bit.  She's now got 2 young boys and is trying to get back into the swing of riding (as a mom).  

-CJB

• Like 1

Go ride Emma, Thumper and back GB regularly. Surely you'll get better

Or you’ll break a few bones trying.

Just stay within your skills MOST of the ride. Definitely ride trails that challenge you but be smart about it. Find that feature that challenges you, watch someone clear it, and then session it. 90% is confidence and attacking. The rest is technique. I don’t really factor in equipment there because with enough of the first two ingredients, the bike just goes along for the ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bart said:

I don't know, somehow we made it bombing down Forest Ridge on hardtails with crappy brakes and wire bead tires in the early 90's

Hah! Yeah I bombed down some of the cliffs at OP Schnabel Park in San Antonio in the 80s and 90s as a kid. If it looked fun, we tried it no matter how dangerous. That was with our cheap KMart BMX knock offs and no helmets(it was the 80s and 90s). Broke my hand a couple times and my collarbone. Now I'm 42 and prefer to avoid the ER so while I'll still try difficult stuff, I like to work my way up or down in a safer manner than when I was 12 and invincible.

Edited by quixoft
  • Like 1