IGNORED

Strangest COVID-19 stuff you have witnessed

GFisher

1 minute ago, notyal said:

So it's their choice to put potentially deadly particulate matter into the air, but I don't have the choice not to breathe. So who's liberties are being threatened here?

And yes, this rain has us all in a bad mood.

You could always just avoid people without masks the same way I avoid walking through the 5th ward in Houston wearing gang colors. Just treat the non mask wearers like most people treat the homeless, give them a wide berth.

When this shit is over we need to get together, have some beers and solve the world's problems.

2 hours ago, quixoft said:

Yet people get ridiculed because they want to open back up so they can actually work and feed themselves and their families. Many of those folks who have lost their jobs live paycheck to paycheck so have some empathy towards them.

To reiterate others' post on this, nobody is ridiculing those that want/need to get back to work.  I fully feel for them and I don't know what to do about it other than to try to do as much takeout and support local businesses now as I can.  But if we think that partial opening of businesses now is not going to affect jobs even worse in a few weeks because of a second wave, I think we're kidding ourselves.

I fully ridicule the selfish people wanting to get haircuts or congregate at the local watering hole.

I am concerned for those that have NO CHOICE but to work, first responders, medical professionals, tradesmen (need a plumber, you need a plumber), etc.  

I also fully agree with the others' post regarding the money being handed out by banks to large businesses, that's immoral.  Finally, too many people are not making enough to save money or have any kind of reserve.  Even middle class people have had stagnant wages.  There was a point a couple of years ago that I was making less in real dollars than I was in 2002, with a promotion and several raises, while the CEOs and oligarchs are making even more money.

• Like 4

Not something strange I witnessed but accidentally participated in. I ordered the weekly "I'm not cooking tonight" and when the guy was handing over the pizzas I grabbed too far up the box and must have snagged some of his glove. I didn't notice until I had pulled a bit and it made a loud snap like you never want to hear over your shoulder at the Dr's office. Anyway because I'm awkward AF I said "almost got ya" and shut the door. That was a fun day.

• Haha 3

Just got back from HEB. We normally do curbside but needed propane exchange , A/C filters and and some other things I like to pick out myself (like some steaks). I was impressed that EVERY person had a mask. I expected at least a couple folks to want to exercise their 'rights'.

19 minutes ago, GFisher said:

Just got back from HEB. We normally do curbside but needed propane exchange , A/C filters and and some other things I like to pick out myself (like some steaks). I was impressed that EVERY person had a mask. I expected at least a couple folks to want to exercise their 'rights'.

Which one?  The one at Spicewood Springs and 183 had several people without masks.  I think today we're going to the one on 620 and Anderson Mill Rd.

5 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

Which one?  The one at Spicewood Springs and 183 had several people without masks.  I think today we're going to the one on 620 and Anderson Mill Rd.

Yep. SS and 183. The guy that often does promos and food tastings (has a bunch of crazy hats) was sitting just outside the door the whole time. Not sure what for, maybe he was encouraging/offering masks?

One thing that was stupid was that of the 4 full item lanes open, they were essentially all adjacent with only 1 open lane amongst the 4. They could have been spread out.

Edited by GFisher

4 hours ago, GFisher said:

The "exercise my right" people are now doing the smart thing - they are boycotting any store that requires them to wear a mask. My guess is that this is because they got little sympathy by causing a scene.

Anyway it is a win win for everyone. They get to protest and believe they are making an impact. And the other 80% can shop in peace.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

Strangest sight has been my jumper cables.  With 4 cars and hardly any driving they have gotten more use in the last 2 months than in 10 previous years.

very true.

wife has a hybrid that has sat since 3/13 and had to use the valet key to open it, and find the reset button to activate the power again. 1st world problems for sure.

• Like 1

I have been inside a grocery store ONCE in the past two months. the HEB in Circle C was not very busy last week and EVERYONE  was properly masked. a few people were being obstinate about clogging the isle but most people were cool about it.

Be sure to share this so we can MAGA!

97015510_10220183972823458_3387491910955302912_o.thumb.jpg.e1df0a79cc58e5da90f193784bba5b2a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I walk out the door of my house, on the way to the kids' middle school to return athletic clothes and get their shoes from the gym locker, and I see a full on EF kitted guy, with a guy wearing some kind of US cycling jersey.  I should have yelled at them, but I was sure it was Lawson Craddock.  I was more excited about this than the thunderbirds.

So, seeing a pro riding on my street during what would be the pro season is my strangest covid sight.  https://www.strava.com/activities/3455463582

Edited by AntonioGG
  • Like 6

30 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

This is whats happening while we're focused on covid. Is it strange? The timing certainly is. At this point, nothing happening in the US surprises me any more.

https://9to5mac.com/2020/05/14/access-your-browsing-history/

I recently got a Synology router and setup all sorts of safety stuff on it.  Do y'all realize facebook is watching?  I get several pings a day on it from facebook.  We don't use facebook on this machine, it's basically locked down for social media.

• Like 1

Unfortunately with the repeal of net neutrality, the ISP can just hand over whatever info they ask for without you ever knowing. Worse yet, the unchecked subversion that will take place by giving the authorities ability to"find" illegal pictures on opposition leaders computers and arresting them. Were they legit or planted and who are you gonna believe?

Not a good time

• Like 3

16 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

I recently got a Synology router and setup all sorts of safety stuff on it.  Do y'all realize facebook is watching?  I get several pings a day on it from facebook.  We don't use facebook on this machine, it's basically locked down for social media.

Used Synology for a while, good stuff switched to Ubiquiti and am more industrial strength now. I am amazed at how many devices phone home. My firewall block list is getting larger. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

I walk out the door of my house, on the way to the kids' middle school to return athletic clothes and get their shoes from the gym locker, and I see a full on EF kitted guy, with a guy wearing some kind of US cycling jersey.  I should have yelled at them, but I was sure it was Lawson Craddock.  I was more excited about this than the thunderbirds.

So, seeing a pro riding on my street during what would be the pro season is my strangest covid sight.  https://www.strava.com/activities/3455463582

Didn't realize Lawson rode for EF, but my youngest Levi and I were road riding the other day when we crossed paths with "an EF rider".  I commented how cool that was and then had to explain to Levi why that was the case.  We came back to the house later on and watched some of the EF YT stuff re: LT100 & DK200.  I think he gets it now. 😉  Lawson is a good dude too!

-CJB

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CBaron said:

Didn't realize Lawson rode for EF, but my youngest Levi and I were road riding the other day when we crossed paths with "an EF rider".  I commented how cool that was and then had to explain to Levi why that was the case.  We came back to the house later on and watched some of the EF YT stuff re: LT100 & DK200.  I think he gets it now. 😉  Lawson is a good dude too!

-CJB

He is the best kind of person and he is tough as nails.  Completing that tour after his horrible crash to raise money for the Houston velodrome was amazing.  It seems like all the EF guys are special in one way or another, and I love how they put themselves out there for some of these special events.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, El Gringo said:

Huh. TBH, I've mostly ignored you, because your posts never made sense to me.

And I've long since recognized you as fairly stupid. Sorry, but you've posted some stupid conspiracy shit now more than once. No need to post dueling YT videos. Anyone who knows how to work the internet can find competent debunking videos for the BS you posted. You could have done so, but I refer you to what I said above, as harsh as it might seem. 

Science IS about dissenting opinions.

When you have 1-2 people who are spouting crackpot theories versus, well, the rest of the goddamn science community, you have to take a step back and critically assess whether these people truly know more than the rest of the community combined.

We've all worked with the guy who thinks every single person that they work with is an asshole. Every person. They always think they are the ones that are right and everyone else is wrong. Yes, we all know these people. And the science community has them as well.

But that does not mean that we need to give them equal time. Much like we do not need to give the flat earth people equal time. We do not need to take their theories seriously, no matter how strongly they protest.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Science IS about dissenting opinions.

When you have 1-2 people who are spouting crackpot theories versus, well, the rest of the goddamn science community, you have to take a step back and critically assess whether these people truly know more than the rest of the community combined.

We've all worked with the guy who thinks every single person that they work with is an asshole. Every person. They always think they are the ones that are right and everyone else is wrong. Yes, we all know these people. And the science community has them as well.

But that does not mean that we need to give them equal time. Much like we do not need to give the flat earth people equal time. We do not need to take their theories seriously, no matter how strongly they protest.

While I generally agree with this, there are a ton of examples throughout history where a single scientist and their theories were considered crazy and wacko by the majority of the scientific or medical community.

You mentioned above that we do not need to give the flat earth equal time and I agree. But remember there was once a guy that went against the current scientific knowledge of his time and he proposed that the earth revolved around the sun. He was accused of heresy and his idea was suppressed. His name was Galileo.

A few other "mad scientists" who were rejected by the scientific community of their period.

* William Harvey was the first to describe the human blood circulation in the 17th century and was ridiculed by his peers.
* Gregor Mendel, father of genetics and his work in pea plants regarding recessive or dominant genes was considered crazy and wasn't recognized until decades after his death.
* Ignaz Semmelweis implemented hand washing at his hospital in Hungaria which helped reduce death rates from fever of women giving birth from 10 to 2% at his hospital in the 1840s. He was ridiculed by other doctors because they felt he was saying they were dirty. The medical world completely rejected him for it. He ended up committing suicide. People finally saw the light decades later from Lister and Pasteur's work.
* William Coley's work on ulcers caused by bacteria in the 1980s was dismissed by other doctors. It was common knowledge then that ulcers were only caused by stressed. Coley actually experimented on himself to prove his theories.

So there should be peer reviews, studies, research and the like, but just because current knowledge points to a new idea being batshit crazy, it doesn't necessarily mean it's wrong. We'll need studies over the next few years to really determine exactly how COVID works and how to prevent it.

Use multiple sites and resources when researching stuff and pretty much ignore anything you see from Karen or really anything on Facebook or social media.

Edited by quixoft
  • Like 2

Yeah, there are always the outliers on dissent.

Just like there are essential oils people.

In normal times, when there is not a lot on the line, that becomes an interesting discussion.

But in a pandemic where millions have been impacted and tens of thousands are dead, you need to be far more cautious.

"Hey, I know the building is on fire and you guys are all saying let's get out of here, but hear me out, the ROOF isn't on fire so if we just head up there....."

Hydroxychloroquine was "contrary science", how's that playing out?

• Albert locked this topic